Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lucas oil synthetic oil additive for ticking engine

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Lucas oil synthetic oil additive for ticking engine

Hi all,

I'm back. Singer is still running fine, ticking as usual. I got a recommendation to put Lucas oil synthetic oil additive in my next oil change. I was told it would reduce engine noise (which I don't care about) and potentially increase engine life (which I do care about).

Question is, is this worth it? Also, now that we're into winter time will it affect how oil flows on the super cold days? Thanks in advance folks.

https://www.kakimotor.com/image/kakimotor/image/data/all_product_images/product-1495/QKvMFxp51569422210.png

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    As a life long user of Lucas products in my older vehicles, Id avoid it, Its just a thickener, it has zero special additives in it. If your going to spend money on it just switch to a heavier Weight 0wXX oil itl have the same effect. These additives get very thick when cold, especially extreme cold.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2022 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 45.5 mpg (US) ... 19.4 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.7 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MrMPG For This Useful Post:

Cam123 (12-21-2022)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Hey thanks MrMPG. I did buy a bottle of it but I'll just return to crappy tire or sell on fb marketplace. I'll stick with the thin oil that's good for the cold days we get up here!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    If you want a engine additive that helps prolong engine life, you want to go with a zinc/ZDDP or Ceramic additive. Examples would be BG MOA or Lubro-Moly Ceratec.

I say this as someone with experience that has produced empirical evidence over 20 years. Nothing will fix mechanical wear that has already happened, but running Mobil1 or better (changed regularly before it gets dirty) with those additives will prevent additional wear even under extreme use.
    Mitsu master tech since 2009, German car guy, recently bought a 14 Mirage 5spd with 145k. Youtube Channel

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 30.5 mpg (US) ... 13.0 km/L ... 7.7 L/100 km ... 36.6 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fopeano For This Useful Post:

Cam123 (01-03-2023),precisionxt (12-29-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Cam123 View Post
    Hi all,

I'm back. Singer is still running fine, ticking as usual. I got a recommendation to put Lucas oil synthetic oil additive in my next oil change. I was told it would reduce engine noise (which I don't care about) and potentially increase engine life (which I do care about).

Question is, is this worth it? Also, now that we're into winter time will it affect how oil flows on the super cold days? Thanks in advance folks.

https://www.kakimotor.com/image/kaki...1569422210.png
    By ticking, do you mean rod knock? As already mentioned, there is no such thing as engine rebuild in a can.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

mohammad (12-30-2022)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    By ticking, do you mean rod knock? As already mentioned, there is no such thing as engine rebuild in a can.
    I'm guessing the piston slap that haunted some 2014's. I had it without knowing it. My clue was oil use. I changed it at 1000 km, 5000km 10,000 km and every 7500 KM till the death of my car @44,000 km, about 20 weeks. It was always down, sometimes half a liter, sometimes almost a whole liter. I knew something was wrong with the engine but I was so busy with life there was no time to tie the car up waiting for diagnoses and decisions. I'll mention it was conventional oil I was using but Mits spec stuff. I wonder how long that engine would have lasted if not attended to?

I had bought a spare 2014 engine for $500 CDN when I bought my 300 KM 2014 Mirage but backed out of the deal as I could not confirm if it had the piston issue. My current plan is to rebuild my 2014 engine if it dies rather than drop in another used engine with a background I can't confirm. My current 2014 does not use oil, leak or have any issue other than a noise when starting it after a long spell sitting.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    My current 2014 does not use oil, leak or have any issue other than a noise when starting it after a long spell sitting.
    I can confirm that starting noise is very normal. If I ever find a way to get rid of it, I'll post it, but I'm guessing it's finding a filter with a perfect anti-drain back valve in it. The 3A92 has the smallest oil pump I've ever seen. That's why they rattle so bad on the first start after an oil change. It takes 4 or 5 seconds for that pump to fill a new filter with oil.
    Mitsu master tech since 2009, German car guy, recently bought a 14 Mirage 5spd with 145k. Youtube Channel

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 30.5 mpg (US) ... 13.0 km/L ... 7.7 L/100 km ... 36.6 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by Fopeano View Post
    I can confirm that starting noise is very normal. If I ever find a way to get rid of it, I'll post it, but I'm guessing it's finding a filter with a perfect anti-drain back valve in it. The 3A92 has the smallest oil pump I've ever seen. That's why they rattle so bad on the first start after an oil change. It takes 4 or 5 seconds for that pump to fill a new filter with oil.
    So what filter do you use at the dealership for these things? The dealer I used to deal with was selling us the mz690072 for years then out of the blue claimed that filter wasn’t for the mirage…so would only sell us the 1230a105.
    Now I just use the wix 57356.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    We have been using the 072 since they came out. The 105 filter supersedes to the 072, and found that the 105 filters are not available from Mitsubishi.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Fopeano For This Useful Post:

Fummins (12-30-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Fopeano View Post
    We have been using the 072 since they came out. The 105 filter supersedes to the 072, and found that the 105 filters are not available from Mitsubishi.
    Thanks, that's good to know. I wasn't a fan of using the dinky oem filters without the drain-back valve. The one dealer out here that I've dealt with doesn't staff the brightest crayons in the box. From the parts department to the service keyboard clickers.

It's good to know there are some dealers with competent staff. That's hard to find out this way. Most of the dealings I've had with various dealers over the years left me wanting to put my head through a windshield.

Mirage videos: