Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: No start, low compression...

No start, low compression...279k km

I've had a Mirage waiting to get rear brakes replaced for about a week now. I went to bring it in last Wednesday and the damn thing wouldn't start. Acts just like it's flooded but sounds like it has no compression. I pulled the plugs, unflooded it but it still sounds off when cranking. I just did a compression test 110,80 and 50psi...wieird. It was being used everyday until the back brakes got noisy. Didn't do a wet test yet. Will post those results later.

Last edited by Fummins; 03-29-2021 at 09:38 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

CROSSBOLT (09-20-2022),ThunderG (03-30-2021)

Guess this is why it was throwing cat codes for a while. Probably burning oil and plugged the cat. Now a brake job is probably gonna be an engine job unless I can get this thing running again.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Guess this is why it was throwing cat codes for a while. Probably burning oil and plugged the cat. Now a brake job is probably gonna be an engine job unless I can get this thing running again.
    Was it a 2015? How many km on it? Believe it or not, the cat is actually not a bad price on the Mitsu website compared to other Japanese manufacturers.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Was it a 2015? How many km on it? Believe it or not, the cat is actually not a bad price on the Mitsu website compared to other Japanese manufacturers.
    This one is a 2015. I have a bunch of cats from wrecks. Or at least did. Damn meth heads have been stealing them like crazy lately. I have a bunch of engines laying around too.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,389 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Curious about the km's too. And what, besides just normal wear, might be leading to the loss of compression. Meaning, are piston rings crap? Or are the drivers abusing them in some way? Not getting frequent enough oil changes? Just want to know so I can keep the Blueberry out of the scrap heap for as long as is possible.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Curious about the km's too. And what, besides just normal wear, might be leading to the loss of compression. Meaning, are piston rings crap? Or are the drivers abusing them in some way? Not getting frequent enough oil changes? Just want to know so I can keep the Blueberry out of the scrap heap for as long as is possible.
    That engine slap issue seems a lot more common in the frozen north. I think we're fine. My 2014 has 76k miles on it and purrs like cat.

I edited the title, or tried to. Car has 279,xxxkms on it. This one is odd, this thing wouldn't start for me a while back when I went to move it. Ended up replacing the spark plugs to get it going again.

Oddly enough my black car with 285xxxkms on it runs pretty good, it was noisy when I first got it but after an oil change it sounded a lot better. Not as loud as the white car was.
    Oh and no recalls have ever been done in it. No cold start run rich reprogram or airbag recall. The white car had the recalls completed in 2018.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,389 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    That engine slap issue seems a lot more common in the frozen north. I think we're fine. My 2014 has 76k miles on it and purrs like cat.
    Yeah, you're probably 100% right.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

I brought a 2017 with 274k km in the shop for an oil change the other day. It ended up needing a few other things, front tires, rh frt wheel bearing, alignment... It sat on the hoist for a day before I got it off the hoist while I waited for parts. When I went to drive it out it wouldn't start...Flooded. I pushed it outside and let it sit for about 4hrs then tried to get it going again. Still flooded. I tried again just now(days later). No go. So I tried the go-to replace the spark plugs method(after clearing cylinders out). Still wouldn't go.

I was curious about the compression cause there was a fair bit of fuel dripping off the oil dipstick when I pulled it out.... Compression numbers were pretty low...50-50 and 70. Poured some oil in one cylinder and it went up to 100...
    I figured my gauge was effered so I tried it out on a 2015 Mirage with 338k km. 170 all across...

So...I poured a bit of oil in every cylinder and put the old spark plugs back in. It took a few tries but eventually, it fired back up. And smoked like crazy for a few mins. I'm letting it burn off some of the fuel from the crankcase. I'll bring it back in, change the oil(again) and do another compression test just for sharts and see what happens. And I'll road test to see how much of a turd it is or isn't.

I looked back in the service records for this car and the thing flooded out in the shop a few years ago at 120k kms.
    Mirage videos:

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (09-21-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Any idea why these cars are getting flooded? Is it a short start and shutoff pulling it into the shop?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 46.2 mpg (US) ... 19.6 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.5 mpg (Imp)