Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Worried about pushing my electrical system

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mohammad View Post
    I wouldn't worry too much, as Fummins shows in his video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkzmRd2FDso the mirage has an 840watt electric heating element that will augment the main heater in certain conditions.(low ambient temp, low coolant temp, low alternator load)
    Are these in the newer years as well? Smart idea!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ylekot View Post
    It is a brilliant idea isn't it? On a $10k car as well. I don't think a $100K 560 SEL has these, nor a $125k Tesla, which is funny because, well, Tesla=electrical car.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    It is a brilliant idea isn't it? On a $10k car as well. I don't think a $100K 560 SEL has these, nor a $125k Tesla, which is funny because, well, Tesla=electrical car.
    How could a tesla possibly not have an electric heater?
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mohammad View Post
    How could a tesla possibly not have an electric heater?
    I worded it crap. Tesla likely doesn't have an aux heater dedicated to certain conditions only. they likely have a primary general purpose heater. I read Teslas don't have a lot of love out west when it gets cold, heater barely works, doors freeze which again for an electric car is a joke.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ylekot View Post
    I am not 100% certain that this is in mine. But I get heat out of my vents, while the green coolant light is still lit on my dash.
    This did not happen in my 2015. So I believe that my 2023 does have this. I was planning on having my seats converted to heated seats professionally but now I don't think I need to.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BillAce View Post
    Here's a build log on an audio site. It goes into details on wiring, fabrication, acoustics, etc.
    https://www.diymobileaudio.com/threa...0/post-6098623
    Man this is INSANE. its not even the same car anymore haha.
    I am really surprised by how good the stock system is in my '23 compared to the '15. I'm actually not really sure what to upgrade at the moment. It sounds pretty good. The bass could be touch better but its really not that bad.
    There is definitely a lot more power being pushed to the front speakers than the rear.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cleadus_fetus View Post
    Man this is INSANE. its not even the same car anymore haha.
    I am really surprised by how good the stock system is in my '23 compared to the '15. I'm actually not really sure what to upgrade at the moment. It sounds pretty good. The bass could be touch better but its really not that bad.
    There is definitely a lot more power being pushed to the front speakers than the rear.
    It really comes down to point of reference and of course the time and budget to do it. In my case I was doing a lot of long trips to help out my parents and my point of reference is headphones that could have bought a manual es back in the day.
    So my wife gave me the idea, my daughter needed a senior research project to graduate and I have some fabrication and tuning skills. Its the best car stereo I've ever had.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    It really comes down to point of reference and of course the time and budget to do it. In my case I was doing a lot of long trips to help out my parents and my point of reference is headphones that could have bought a manual es back in the day.
    So my wife gave me the idea, my daughter needed a senior research project to graduate and I have some fabrication and tuning skills. Its the best car stereo I've ever had.
    I LOVE the setup. I am super jealous. its really cool.
    Did you have to replace the alternator or the battery for this project. I know you said you upgraded some wiring.

I am still a little confused and very impressed with how you make "plastic" panels or whatever they are called. out of body fill and wire? The way you make it look like it was pre-made is amazing.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I haven't changed the battery or alternator yet. I'm actually building my own amps now that will have. GaNfets and be extremely efficient. So I probably won't even with the extra power.

Making panels takes some templates to figure out the shape you want. Then I stretch cloth over it and apply resin to make it stiff. Now you have your shape to fiberglass. Then it's body work, sand/ filler / repeat until smooth. Then you're ready to finish it. I used SEM texture coat and sent a piece of my interior for them to color match the paint. Clear coat to protect it and you're done. Patience is key, test fit often and make sure you have a way to secure everything since you're adding weight to the panels. I put 32k miles on my car in the first year and everything had held up very well and I really enjoy how it sounds

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I haven't changed the battery or alternator yet. I'm actually building my own amps now that will have. GaNfets and be extremely efficient. So I probably won't even with the extra power.

Making panels takes some templates to figure out the shape you want. Then I stretch cloth over it and apply resin to make it stiff. Now you have your shape to fiberglass. Then it's body work, sand/ filler / repeat until smooth. Then you're ready to finish it. I used SEM texture coat and sent a piece of my interior for them to color match the paint. Clear coat to protect it and you're done. Patience is key, test fit often and make sure you have a way to secure everything since you're adding weight to the panels. I put 32k miles on my car in the first year and everything had held up very well and I really enjoy how it sounds

Holy WOW that's a wicked stereo build! I just want to get a little bass fill. The low end is non existent in this car.