Thread: running out of gas

Country
    United States
    Thanks

running out of gas

Okay, the most gas I have ever put in is about 9 gallons. I was on a road trip once and it did the flashing bracket, then I believe the flashing bracket completely disappeared and I still had some gas left when I filled up. Yesterday on a trip I was driving and the bracket was flashing, and I figured no problem I must have some left I can make it to the next exit, and I ran out. The bracket never disappeared. WTH?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 38.8 mpg (US) ... 16.5 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,709 Times in 2,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirageman38 View Post
    Okay, the most gas I have ever put in is about 9 gallons. I was on a road trip once and it did the flashing bracket, then I believe the flashing bracket completely disappeared and I still had some gas left when I filled up. Yesterday on a trip I was driving and the bracket was flashing, and I figured no problem I must have some left I can make it to the next exit, and I ran out. The bracket never disappeared. WTH?
    Running out of gas is a bummer!

There's a long thread on this topic (at least somewhat related to it) -

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...in-your-Mirage

I reset my trip odometer every time I fill up. If I am traveling long distances, I will check it from time to time. I've calculated my mpg rating enough times to know my approximate range. If I am running my tank a little low, I will use that backup check.
    Last edited by Mark; 12-22-2022 at 03:10 PM.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Where do you live and what were the weather conditions? was it quite cold? I get quite a variance in mileage depending on the outside temp. In winter I make sure as soon as I see the first blink I gas up.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Probably in the 30 F range. Yes I get variance also, but I thought flashing bracket meant you have at least some left. Now I am going to have to be sure to not get there...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 38.8 mpg (US) ... 16.5 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirageman38 View Post
    Probably in the 30 F range. Yes I get variance also, but I thought flashing bracket meant you have at least some left. Now I am going to have to be sure to not get there...
    I've had all the bars disappear (flashing bracket appears) a few times. I always felt I had at least a gallon of gas left in the tank, because I don't think I've ever done 8+ gallons of gas during a fill up.

I would have been a bit shocked like you!

Checking the owner's manual - a flashing bracket indicates "refuel as soon as possible".

I would expect to get farther on a 70F day versus a day like today (-3F & going down this afternoon), but I wouldn't let my tank get that low with these temperatures.

I don't blame you for being caught off guard, but I don't know how far you drove on a flashing bar either.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 675 Posts
    I fill it up when when the last bracket appears and before it blinks. That way, you don't run out of fuel.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    I fill it up when when the last bracket appears and before it blinks. That way, you don't run out of fuel.
    If you're driving across some parts of America, it's not always that simple. When you reach the last bracket, there may not be a gas station around the next corner. I agree with you, however. When you reach that last bar, you should have your next fill up in mind soon! If you are traveling in the middle of nowhere, you may not want to wait that long either.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

foama (12-27-2022),mohammad (12-23-2022)