Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Firewall and trunk wiring passthrough for parking sensors

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Location
    Toronto
    Country
    Canada
    Posts
    810
    Thanks
    1,134
    Thanked 186 Times in 152 Posts

    Question Firewall and trunk wiring passthrough for parking sensors

    Hello friends,

    I bought this 8 parking sensor kit off AliExpress: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...31a9f19czVhT8I

    I am looking for advice on how to install. it comes with 4 wires: ground, accessory, brake and reverse. If possible can anyone please share advice/instructions/videos on how to run the wires from the bumpers through the firewall and trunk to the control box? Also does anyone have advice on how and where to tap the reverse and brake lights for power?


    Also, for convenience i wonder if its possible to attach the accessory wire to the brake and reverse wires. I guess it depends on the boot up time.

    Finally if anyone has any particularly interesting aspects/tests they want to see done with this let me know and i can try to include it in the video. such as backing into a sloped object, object of certain color or material or measuring power consumption.


    Last edited by mohammad; 12-25-2022 at 06:19 AM.
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

  2. #2
    Senior Member Wallythacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Niagara region
    Country
    Canada
    Posts
    1,965
    Thanks
    42
    Thanked 414 Times in 332 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mohammad View Post
    Hello friends,

    I bought this 8 parking sensor kit off AliExpress: https://www.aliexpress.com/p/order/d...59583428723672

    I am looking for advice on how to install. it comes with 4 wires: ground, accessory, brake and reverse. If possible can anyone please share advice/instructions/videos on how to run the wires from the bumpers through the firewall and trunk to the control box? Also does anyone have advice on how and where to tap the reverse and brake lights for power?


    Also, for convenience i wonder if its possible to attach the accessory wire to the brake and reverse wires. I guess it depends on the boot up time.

    Finally if anyone has any particularly interesting aspects/tests they want to see done with this let me know and i can try to include it in the video. such as backing into a sloped object, object of certain color or material or measuring power consumption.
    Ok, I've never seen this issue before. I go to Ali, sign in as me then get told some nonsense about "please switch account or feedback" and I can't see the item. Any clue what I need to do?

    NEVERMIND I figured it out. I like the idea of this thing. I'm trying to figure out a way to use it for backing up to my trailer tongue
    Last edited by Wallythacker; 12-25-2022 at 06:28 AM.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

    Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)


  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Location
    Toronto
    Country
    Canada
    Posts
    810
    Thanks
    1,134
    Thanked 186 Times in 152 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    Ok, I've never seen this issue before. I go to Ali, sign in as me then get told some nonsense about "please switch account or feedback" and I can't see the item. Any clue what I need to do?
    I see the problem, i placed a link to my personal order instead of to the product, here is the correct link: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...31a9f19czVhT8I
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to mohammad For This Useful Post:

    Wallythacker (12-25-2022)

  5. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Country is Europe, state is Germany
    Country
    Germany
    Posts
    1,485
    Thanks
    178
    Thanked 970 Times in 553 Posts
    I installed them on the rear only in 2015 and am very happy with them. The box with the electronics is situated under the grey plastic side cladding, when you open the hatch immediatly on the right hand side. The power (+12V) is simply attached to the reverse light wire, and the minus to the chassis. There is no "monitor" to look at, but rather a beeper only. After all, when reversing it makes more sense looking where I'm going than to observe a monitor blinking on the dash. The beeper is also under the cladding near the electronics box, but as far up as possible.

    Take care when you drill into the rear "bumper". There is a metal bar underneath, and you don't want to put a hole there. Also, the sensors must have a minimum height from the ground to work properly, otherwise they will always sense the ground and treat it as an obstacle, warning all of the time and the entire assembly will be useless.

    FYI, I have these, and they are sold in Europe for about €10.- (US $10.-) including freight:

    https://www.ebay.de/itm/223734916687...Bk9SR87ega-pYQ
    Last edited by foama; 12-25-2022 at 07:32 PM.

  6. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Location
    Toronto
    Country
    Canada
    Posts
    810
    Thanks
    1,134
    Thanked 186 Times in 152 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    I installed them on the rear only in 2015 and am very happy with them. The box with the electronics is situated under the grey plastic side cladding, when you open the hatch immediatly on the right hand side. The power (+12V) is simply attached to the reverse light wire, and the minus to the chassis. There is no "monitor" to look at, but rather a beeper only. After all, when reversing it makes more sense looking where I'm going than to observe a monitor blinking on the dash. The beeper is also under the cladding near the electronics box, but as far up as possible.

    Take care when you drill into the rear "bumper". There is a metal bar underneath, and you don't want to put a hole there. Also, the sensors must have a minimum height from the ground to work properly, otherwise they will always sense the ground and treat it as an obstacle, warning all of the time and the entire assembly will be useless.

    FYI, I have these, and they are sold in Europe for about €10.- (US $10.-) including freight:

    https://www.ebay.de/itm/223734916687...Bk9SR87ega-pYQ
    How do you get the wires through the car structure? do you use the hole for the air vent? do you use the hole for the license plate lights? do you drill a hole?

    I dont really want to have to drill a new hole into the cars metal body so I was hoping to use the vent hole by the spare tire, but im unsure if its a good idea or if a better idea exists?
    Last edited by mohammad; 12-25-2022 at 11:54 PM.
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

  7. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Country is Europe, state is Germany
    Country
    Germany
    Posts
    1,485
    Thanks
    178
    Thanked 970 Times in 553 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mohammad View Post
    How do you get the wires through the car structure? do you use the hole for the air vent? do you use the hole for the license plate lights? do you drill a hole?

    I dont really want to have to drill a new hole into the cars metal body so I was hoping to use the vent hole by the spare tire, but im unsure if its a good idea or if a better idea exists?
    Firstly, regarding the postition of the PDC (Park Distance Control) sensors. There is a metal reinforcement bar behind the bumper you certainly want to avoid, and the minimum height from ground is also critical. Put one sensor too low and all is useless because the system "sees" the ground or any upwards incline to the rear and sets the alarm off erroneously. Mine are 60cm or 23 1/2 inches above ground and work well. I have installed several of these units, and drilling useless holes into a good bumper is an experience you won't ever forget...
    See:

    Name:  position PDC sensors.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  64.5 KB

    About the hole where the sensor wires enter. I don't remember if I used an OEM plugged hole, or drilled one in a well-chosen area where the metal was already stamped for that purpose. Anyhow, it is well sealed and has not leaked or rusted at all since 2014. The position of the hole is under the bumper, where the finger points to. The wires of the sensors are neatly bundled and held with thin cable-ties to the metal bar beneath the plastic of the bumper. After opening the hatch and removing the grey inner cladding, the wires from sensors to the control unit were laid. The control unit (tiny box with connectors) finds its place in the corner inside, and under the grey cladding, near the right hand tail light assy. The beeper is in the same area, but as high as possible so it can be heared without being muffled.

    See the postion of the hole for sensor wiring under the bumper:

    Name:  holePosition under bumper.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  54.6 KB
    Last edited by foama; 12-26-2022 at 09:31 AM.

  8. #7
    Senior Member klroger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    ottawa valley
    Country
    Canada
    Posts
    613
    Thanks
    55
    Thanked 340 Times in 243 Posts
    You don't need wires at all, Watch the video for a demonstration

    https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...5B75&FORM=VIRE
    I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.5 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.0 mpg (Imp)


  9. The Following User Says Thank You to klroger For This Useful Post:

    mohammad (12-26-2022)

  10. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Location
    Toronto
    Country
    Canada
    Posts
    810
    Thanks
    1,134
    Thanked 186 Times in 152 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    Firstly, regarding the postition of the PDC (Park Distance Control) sensors. There is a metal reinforcement bar behind the bumper you certainly want to avoid, and the minimum height from ground is also critical. Put one sensor too low and all is useless because the system "sees" the ground or any upwards incline to the rear and sets the alarm off erroneously. Mine are 60cm or 23 1/2 inches above ground and work well. I have installed several of these units, and drilling useless holes into a good bumper is an experience you won't ever forget...
    what height range is the reinforcement bar located? how do i ensure i won't drill into it during install? To clarify, this install requires the removal of the rear bumper cover right? I can't just try and reach in from underneath with my arm and expect to run the cable like that? Ill be very happy if i can get the 4 sensors evenly spaced out in a straight line like you did. Your install is very clean.

    For taping into the reverse wire did you use a T-Tap or solder a splice in? I dont have electricity in the garage, so to run a soldering iron i would need to buy an inverter.
    Last edited by mohammad; 12-26-2022 at 07:27 PM.
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

  11. #9
    Iíd solder. Get a butane soldering gun. Donít need power to solder in a garage/parking lot.
    Consider Subscribing to theYouTube channel

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)


  12. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Country is Europe, state is Germany
    Country
    Germany
    Posts
    1,485
    Thanks
    178
    Thanked 970 Times in 553 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mohammad View Post
    what height range is the reinforcement bar located? how do i ensure i won't drill into it during install? To clarify, this install requires the removal of the rear bumper cover right? I can't just try and reach in from underneath with my arm and expect to run the cable like that? Ill be very happy if i can get the 4 sensors evenly spaced out in a straight line like you did. Your install is very clean.

    For taping into the reverse wire did you use a T-Tap or solder a splice in? I dont have electricity in the garage, so to run a soldering iron i would need to buy an inverter.

    No need for buying an inverter yet, and there are 12V soldering irons available cheap. Of course you can use a butane soldering pen as Fummins suggests. I used a soldering iron because there is AC power in my garage. Using regular wire connectors and plastic insulation tape is perfectly OK for this job. The Cables from the taillight go through a rubber grommet to the inside, and a connector for the taillight assy is right there and inside too. (BTW, this is a good oportunity to put cavity spray in the area where Metro and others have experienced rust!) The wiring there is well protected from the elements and perfectly safe. That is also very near to the place for the tiny electronics box and is the ideal place for electronics, cables and splices. Everything neat, tidy, and all in one place behind the grey cladding in the corner!

    If you print the photo of the bumper with sensors, looking at it put your hand in the area near the numberplate light, you will easily see where the two inner holes can be drilled. The plastic covers under the bottom of the wheel arches, left and right can be taken off, and then you can clearly see where the outer holes can be made. All four sensors were drilled the same height from the ground! Once you have marked the place for the outer holes, you will need to either to take the entire "bumper" off, or just take the right section off. With just the right section off, you can locate the spot for putting the sensor cables inside. It is probably more difficult with the entire bumper off, bcause you wont see where the liner (bar) is.
    Beware, taking off the rear bumper is a job for two persons! Alone you will easily scratch the shi**s out of it, because you will need several arms like an octopus! Anyway, take a small cardboard box as a support, and an old blanket, yoga mat or pillow with you. You dont want the detached bumper to fall on the ground and deface itself. Before you start, have a look at the FSM how to take the bumper off. and what (few) tools you need.


    Last edited by foama; 12-27-2022 at 12:31 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •