Thread: Mirage Daily Driver :: 2014 Mitsubishi ES Hatch (Garage entry)

1. General Information
    Mirage Daily Driver
    Mitsubishi
    ES Hatch
    InfraRed
    Stick Shift

Winter/Daily car

Details

Stock head unit with Rockford Fosgate R165-S component speakers in the front and rear doors. Audio Control LC2i Pro spliced into rear speaker wiring going to a JL audio 1000w amp running a pair of 500w JL 10" subs in a ported box. Scarlett Solo DAC/audio processor hooked to stock aux input

Intake snorkel deleted and firmed up airbox mounting. Sounds throaty and none of that rattling at idle.

•  

Front 195/60/15 Nordman Solstice Winter tires with
    fenders rolled for clearance. 15x7 Rota Slipstream flat black wheels.

Comments: 9 / Views: 2527
    Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    What kind of coin did you drop on it? We have a cheapest Mirage thread here, yours might be a candidate.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Customer who traded it in got $600 for it. It was going to wholesale where it would sell for $3000-$3500, and my boss sold it to me for $2000.
    Mitsu master tech since 2009, German car guy, recently bought a 14 Mirage 5spd with 145k. Youtube Channel

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 30.5 mpg (US) ... 13.0 km/L ... 7.7 L/100 km ... 36.6 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Fopeano For This Useful Post:

Basic (02-03-2023)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fopeano View Post
    Customer who traded it in got $600 for it. It was going to wholesale where it would sell for $3000-$3500, and my boss sold it to me for $2000.
    That makes my cry. I would have a driveway full of Mirages if I could snag them for $600. I'd be all over a CVT deluxe spec job for long highway trips where mileage was really important, a 5 MT I could experiment on with performance stuff, another 5 MT converted to a van for moving junk, another CVT for intense city only errands. I guess 4 Mirages would do. Ha.

I'm still grateful I got my deluxe oddball spec 2014 for $1500 or so. Delivered to boot. If I could own 4 and spread out the mileage used should keep me in working Mirages until I stop driving in 20 years time. And I'll still have my 2.2L Saturn for pulling 5000 lbs. and getting 33mpg doing it.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I thought I got a pretty good deal on despite the obvious $1400 profit made off my buy. I'm definitely very happy with my deal after 10 days of driving it. I can say from experience of having 4 cars on the road myself, and being the mechanic to my boss's collection of 12, that having a collection of old cars is a lot of work and/or money. I would encourage anybody to avoid it unless they have all the means and desire to do so. It's so much easier to collect and fix up old guitars or rifles or furniture instead.
    Mitsu master tech since 2009, German car guy, recently bought a 14 Mirage 5spd with 145k. Youtube Channel

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 30.5 mpg (US) ... 13.0 km/L ... 7.7 L/100 km ... 36.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Badge engineering from a German car guy...

BMW badge for M series cars, because I drive with a heavier foot than most and love to make the BMW purists angry. For context, I have a BMW E30 track car and my best friend has a showroom quality E39 M5 summer car.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Fopeano For This Useful Post:

twister77 (02-03-2023)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Badge engineering from a German car guy...

BMW badge for M series cars, because I drive with a heavier foot than most and love to make the BMW purists angry. For context, I have a BMW E30 track car and my best friend has a showroom quality E39 M5 summer car.
    Hahaha! I love it, it should make them fume and burn

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Geez Louise... if they get any more of those in, let me know... I will fly in and drive one back to KY
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Basic View Post
    Geez Louise... if they get any more of those in, let me know... I will fly in and drive one back to KY
    I hear ya, but it's taken 9 years to spot a wholesale Mirage that was just the right about of broken/dirty/neglected that I can get it to pass inspection and make it a fundamentally good car but still be cheap enough that I'll buy it.

It's complicated to sell wholesale cars to a retail customer, which makes it a fringe benefit for me to be able to buy cars like this. If you are a licensed NYS wholesale dealer, the owner might be willing to make a deal. Cars like this are normally shipped because they are rarely in a condition that they can make a long drive home without incident.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Hey all. As I read this thread, the one big thing I took away was people looking for Mirages cheap. I can't say for sure that you're going to have luck on Facebook Marketplace but, I've seen quite a few with CVT issues going cheap. I picked up a 2015 with 124k on it for $2,000. Aside from having to deal with the transmission issue, the rest of the vehicle is in great shape (even with a junkyard transmission, it'll be well below what it books for). Recently I saw another in sapphire blue go cheap and there's been several others too.