Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: random major oil leak

The sensor has one wire iirc. I'd say that's a maybe possibility.

I've always forget how much more room the 5 speed cars have over the cvt. I can't and won't reach the filter from above. Rad and fan are much wider than the 5spd cars.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I saw someone mentioned the tin spout thing might be in the way I was considering just taking that off if it comes down to it plan A is gunna be trying a different filter but if that doesn't solve the issue is it just that one bolt I see holding it down or is there another one somewhere I'd need to get it off?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Also this is they filter they were installing ecoguard x4612 [ATTACHName:  20230101_115043.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  94.1 KB

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by effed View Post
    Also this is they filter they were installing ecoguard x4612 [ATTACHName:  20230101_115043.jpg
    It should work according to their website. Just type "2018 Mitsubishi Mirage 1.2L" in their key word search, & it's one of the oil filters they list for a Mirage.

https://www.ecogard.com/oil-filter-l...earch-catalog/

I saw someone mentioned the tin spout thing might be in the way is it just that one bolt I see holding it down or is there another one somewhere I'd need to get it off?
    I'm pretty sure it's just one bolt. I'll try to remember to look at an engine I have on the floor in the am and let you know if there's anything else to remove if nobody else confirms first.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks

Maybe you could compare the oil gasket of the old and replacement to check if they have the same diameter?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Hey guys!! As of today I'm a little less effed! Got that spout off and filter fit just fine no leaks or nothing so I can at least scoot it around a bit. As most of the western hemisphere did we had a bit of a cold snap here so it was a struggle to get it to start but persistence prevails! I want to first thank all of you for your help even though this was my first post and I just recently signed up officially on the forum I have been on here many times checking posts on issues solutions recommendations even the body kit threads are pretty enlightening everyone's been helpful and constructive from what I've seen. All that said.. now I feel like i hear a clicking sound around the engine I had the hood up and was running it for a little while to make sure everything was good and stayed good but I really don't know if that sound was there before or for how long. Not necessarily looking for suggestions on what it might be, just taking it one step at a time. At least now I don't think I'll have to replace the engine (knock wood) and I should be able to run it down to a shop to have them diagnose. Anyways thanks again guys I was definitely in the dumps over the whole thing for quite a while definitely screwed up everything I had going but sometimes certain things happen for a reason and it always works out the way it was meant to I suppose. Y'all gave me the one thing I needed when I needed it and that was HOPE! I can't tell you how appreciative I am of that. I'm very happy to put that issue behind me and move on to whatever obstacle might be next! (Possibly the clicking) lol

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to effed For This Useful Post:

BigMW (01-04-2023),Dirk Diggler (01-06-2023),Fummins (01-04-2023),mohammad (01-06-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,424 Times in 1,031 Posts
    effed - You have a good attitude. I'm late to the game now. I was going to add to the thread to say that Fummins suggestion for the drain guard getting tweaked up into the way (and the gasket clamping down on it) sounded very reasonable.

And then your idea to just remove that drain guard was a good idea. I'm glad it all worked out.

Let us know what comes of the ticking sound. You didn't ride it around low on earl (due to it leaking), did ya?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    These engines make all kinds of freaky noises at start up, especially in the frigid cold. It's the crankiest car I've ever owned just pulling out but after 5 mins it's smooth sailing for sure.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    These engines make all kinds of freaky noises at start up, especially in the frigid cold. It's the crankiest car I've ever owned just pulling out but after 5 mins it's smooth sailing for sure.
    I agree! The Mirage will make the strangest sound at start up, but like Fummins said my odd noise at times is very brief.

I think nothing of it, but even my older cars with carburetors didn't sound this bad. My 1978 Honda Civic still came with a hand choke knob on the dash. You had to hand choke it for cold starts.

The only engines that I have started that were worse sounding were some of our older Farmall diesel tractors on the farm. Some of them had starting fluid (ether) mounted to the side of the engine. You had a button to push, & it gave the engine a shot of starting fluid. Those tractors really clattered at start up! Those with glow-plugs that you could heat things up for a few seconds using the batteries were much better.

I wish every engine started like my Dad's (formerly my grandpa's) 1948 Farmall H (4 cylinder gas) tractor. It's 75 years old now, & it still fires up the same as when I was a kid.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (01-07-2023),mohammad (01-07-2023)