Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: random major oil leak

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

random major oil leak (SOLVED-ish)

Hi as you can see from my user name I'm effed very effed. I have a 2018 mirage automatic that's been through some ish but had been running fine for me. I recently went in for an oil change and when they tried to replace the oil filter the old one was stuck but they were able to get it off. when they put the new one on however the oil just leaked right out, they tried other filters in the same size with the same result. They checked for double gaskets etc etc nothing like that I was assured they literally only do oil changes there so I take their word on that. The oil definitely seems to be coming out from that area though and I had the manager look it over and he said there may be a crack in the housing. All of the diagrams I've looked at don't show that the car even has an oil filter housing but I could be missing something. Any ideas on what it could be? Any chance I can get this thing back up and running or am I probably screwed like I think? I'm trying to at least get some feel for what I'm going to be in for as far as repairs. Whole lotta miles on it I drove that thing all over the place. Literally drove it around that day and now it might be done-zo which just blows my mind

Last edited by effed; 01-04-2023 at 01:35 AM.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    A couple things concern me. How many miles on the car? How many miles or years since the last oil change? Was the last change at a shop or DIY?

Now about the leak? Dribbling? Constant stream? How much oil is lost in a day?
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    The original oil filter is fastened very tightly, more than necessary. You need a filter cap to get it off. I assume with your mileage it has been changed multiple times already. After the first change and from the on, you only need your hands to put it on or take it off.

The filter is screwed on to the oil filter stud, a hollow "boltish thing" made of steel which in turn is screwed onto the alloy engine block. The stud can be replaced if needed. Surrounding the stud is the circular area where the oil filter's rubber gasket ring sits. Unless a piece of the block (=rim or part of the circular area) has been torn off, which is very unlikely, I can not imagine what could be wrong.

Maybe you could remove the oil filter and take a picture of the area for us to see?

A second thought. Are you very sure the filter you have is the correct kind and fits properly?

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

Fummins (12-27-2022),MetroMPG (12-26-2022),mohammad (12-25-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by effed View Post
    Hi as you can see from my user name I'm effed very effed. I have a 2018 mirage automatic that's been through some ish but had been running fine for me. I recently went in for an oil change and when they tried to replace the oil filter the old one was stuck but they were able to get it off. when they put the new one on however the oil just leaked right out, they tried other filters in the same size with the same result. They checked for double gaskets etc etc nothing like that I was assured they literally only do oil changes there so I take their word on that. The oil definitely seems to be coming out from that area though and I had the manager look it over and he said there may be a crack in the housing. All of the diagrams I've looked at don't show that the car even has an oil filter housing but I could be missing something. Any ideas on what it could be? Any chance I can get this thing back up and running or am I probably screwed like I think? I'm trying to at least get some feel for what I'm going to be in for as far as repairs. Whole lotta miles on it I drove that thing all over the place. Literally drove it around that day and now it might be done-zo which just blows my mind
    Sounds like this shouldn't be your problem to fix... There is no oil filter housing. The filter threads onto a pipe that's threaded into the engine block. If they somehow cracked your block then you're gonna need another engine. I really can't see that happening but who know's....
    I'd bet they just installed the wrong filter or maybe tweaked the tin oil drain spout below that filter (that directs oil away from the block then onto the starter) so it's in the way of where the filter seals to the block. It's hard to see in there with the naked eye. Drop a phone down there and take some pics? Maybe just go buy a known proper filter(can't go wrong with a wix 57356) and have a different shop or grown-up replace it and top off the oil?

Edit: I just read foma's post. I guess I just repeated most of what he already said...
    Last edited by Fummins; 12-27-2022 at 05:19 PM.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Here's a clip of what it should look like.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (12-27-2022),foama (12-28-2022)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    Here a still frame taken from there and modified:

Name:  oilfilter area .jpg
Views: 453
Size:  54.3 KB

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

Fummins (01-01-2023),mohammad (12-29-2022)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    just after the 6min mark in my oil change youtube video you can see me change the filter, here is a time stamped direct link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1O5BCFaELVo&t=355s
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Hello again thank you for all the responses in terms of milage it's around 90k I had my last change at about 80k probably closer to 82 and all of my oil changes have been at a shop usually the same one but I moved to a different state and had to find somewhere else for the most recent change.
    The leak itself just basically streams all of the oil out. As far as I'm aware there were no prior minor leaks, there was a few times I thought I was maybe leaking coolant which I wasn't but I had been checking that for the past few months.
    Also thanks for confirming my theory that there isn't a housing for the filter because I didn't see anything that would indicate one was there. It's a bit of a relief to know the stud can be replaced if that is the issue less so about the engine block being cracked. Would it still leak from that area if it were the case with the engine or would it maybe be coming from somewhere else that might make it more obvious? There should still be a couple of the filters they tried to use by my car all were the same type and size so I'll try to get pictures of those.. I haven't been able to get the installed filter off but I can give it another shot and try to get pictures of that as well.
    Thanks again for the responses I appreciate the help

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Can you get the part # of the oil filters they used or are using??? Also, is it possible to take a pic of the area with the filter removed?? If it's pouring out in streams, it should be pretty obvious. Is it possible they damaged the oil pressure sensor when they had trouble removing the first filter?? I don't know exactly where the sensor is, so this is just a guess...
    I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to klroger For This Useful Post:

Fummins (01-01-2023)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by klroger View Post
    Can you get the part # of the oil filters they used or are using??? Also, is it possible to take a pic of the area with the filter removed?? If it's pouring out in streams, it should be pretty obvious. Is it possible they damaged the oil pressure sensor when they had trouble removing the first filter?? I don't know exactly where the sensor is, so this is just a guess...
    just after the 6min mark in my oil change youtube video I show where the oil pressure sensor is, here is a time stamped direct link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1O5BCFaELVo&t=364s

please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos