In the interest of carrying capacity verses raw weight I would like to modify my hybrid aluminum 5x8 trailer to shed the steel in place of AL.

Here's what I'm starting with.Name:  alum-box-trailer.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  42.2 KB

The box is all aluminum, 60" x 96" x .0625 thick, the wall height is 18". The ramp is all aluminum save for parts of the hinges. I think the box weights 125 lb. if my math was right, the ramp is about 30 lb. The remainder of the frame is (ugh) channel 3" x .0625 and if my math was right the frame weighs in at about 125 lb. (I should double check that). The wheels are 20 lb. each, the axle/hubs/springs are close to 60-70 lb and 20 lb. for a tongue jack and safety chains, lights, coupler.

I guess the all in weight is pushing 400+ lb. (hmm, seems kinda light). anyhow, I can pretty much shed as much as 100-120 lb. by replacing the angle with aluminum channel & ditching the ramp if the price is reasonable. So I need about 50 lb. of aluminum. Who do you deal with in Canada for aluminum purchases? When all is said and done I hope to have a weight comparable to the Ultra Tow 5x8 aluminum with an aluminum box on top.

Maybe the best answer is to take the box I now have, bolt it on the 5x8 Ultra tow and sell the channel frame. But that' the easy way out