Thread: Did A Video On Warm Up Time From 5F

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Did A Video On Warm Up Time From 5F

Did a YouTube video showing how long it takes this little engine to put heat out the vents with a 5 Degree cold start Fairly impressive warm up time, About 4 minutes from 5F coolant temp till heat kicked out the vents on auto climate, And i do believe my 2022 still has the electric heater that assists the heater core/coolant warm up times. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riUx...vap33IN4AaABAgName:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  92.1 KB

Last edited by MrMPG; 12-27-2022 at 12:57 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2022 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 45.5 mpg (US) ... 19.4 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.7 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrMPG For This Useful Post:

daleWV (12-28-2022),foama (12-27-2022)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    The electric heater helps keep the windshield from fogging up.

My 1.0L MT model takes much longer to warm up, but then it gets between 56mpg in winter and 60 mpg in summer.

It would be interesting to see how engine temperature develops after startup.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    The electric heater helps keep the windshield from fogging up.

My 1.0L MT model takes much longer to warm up, but then it gets between 56mpg in winter and 60 mpg in summer.

It would be interesting to see how engine temperature develops after startup.
    I am curious how much difference there is between the 1.0 and 1.2, The 1.2 CVT is quite slow but I've adjusted to it, Usually from startup to full 195-200F with a 3-5 minute idle itl be up to temp in around 3-4 miles after that before i enter the highway, The CVT however takes FOREVER to warm up, By the time i do the 30 mile drive to work, Its in the 140-150F range and never gets above 160ish when its cold like this Unless you're pushin the car.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2022 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 45.5 mpg (US) ... 19.4 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMPG View Post
    The CVT however takes FOREVER to warm up, By the time i do the 30 mile drive to work, Its in the 140-150F range and never gets above 160ish when its cold like this Unless you're pushin the car.
    Hey MrMPG, What are you using to monitor the trans Temp. Is it a Scan Gage??? I'd like to keep an eye on mine, but I don't know what I need for a tool to do that with!!! I do have the scan gage, but haven't been able to activate the trans temp in the X-gage section... Is this what you use??? Thanks Lots!!!
    I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to klroger For This Useful Post:

BigMW (12-28-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    The CVT however takes FOREVER to warm up, By the time i do the 30 mile drive to work, Its in the 140-150F range and never gets above 160ish when its cold like this Unless you're pushin the car.
    Friction creates heat. I don't own a CVT. I have to believe the lower the transmission operating temperature the better, but that may be your point here I guess?

"If all the components are functional and you are driving at a normal speed, the ideal transmission temperature is 175°F or less."

taken from
    https://carfromjapan.com/article/car...n-temperature/

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    @MrMPG and those where it gets cold:

Mine is a 1.0L MT with a letterbox grill that averages 56 to 60 mpg according to season.
    I have a 100% lower grill block, and the letterbox is fully blocked too!
    Currently it is warm outside, about + 8°C, and with blocked grills there is not the least tendency to overheat. BTW, the thermostat was replaced, but the old one was in order. The radiator fan has never ever needed to come on with blocked grills in these temperatures.

My advice: If you live where it gets cold enough for putting on a sweater, consider a grill block!
    Fuel consumption, better heating and prolonged life of the engine will be the certain reward.

Quote Originally Posted by klroger View Post
    Hey MrMPG, What are you using to monitor the trans Temp. Is it a Scan Gage??? I'd like to keep an eye on mine, but I don't know what I need for a tool to do that with!!! I do have the scan gage, but haven't been able to activate the trans temp in the X-gage section... Is this what you use??? Thanks Lots!!!
    http://cvtz50.info/en/
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

klroger (12-28-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by klroger View Post
    The CVTZ50 app will monitor all the transmission information as well as the engine, Its got trans temps/pressures/fluid degradation, Pretty much anything you want to know

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    The CVTZ50 app will monitor all the transmission information as well as the engine, Its got trans temps/pressures/fluid degradation, Pretty much anything you want to know
    I think he means what device are you reading the ODB port with? A bluetoosh adapter (I use a Veespeak) or a dedicated port reader like the Scangauge (which I also have, thanks to the guys here selling me one for $40 or so)

My experience. At -10C I started the car and began to drive. Scangauge showed my temp hitting about 150F and the Temp light going out. This was about 2-3 KM of city driving. The car felt warm in 5 minutes and got toasty within 10 minutes. I had the rear defroster on to engage the 840W electrical heater for the cabin. The temp climbed to 191 and stayed there. That is normal temp for my Mirage under all conditions, summer or winter. I plan to test my 2014 as well as it has a plugged passenger side heater core and I'm curious how it performs. If there's only marginal degradation I'll leave the plugged core in.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

It's an app for your phone. Download app, plug in dongle.

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...l=1#post147606

Hardware requirements
    Phone or tablet running Android 4.2 or higher
    Bluetooth or WiFi adapter ELM327 revision 1.5 or lower (functionality might be significantly limited if used with not genuine adapters of revision 2.0+. Communication with CVT requires advanced ELM327 functionality which is often missing in clones v2.0+)

Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)