Thread: Hello fellow gas mileage lovers!

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Hello fellow gas mileage lovers!

I am seriously considering buying an older (2014 to 2017) Mirage. I want the great Geoesque gas mileage with a safer (airbags) car. I also own a 94 Geo 4 door hatchback with the 3cyl, 5 spd. I like manual trans cars, so will be looking for that transmission.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Moparfreak For This Useful Post:

BigMW (08-17-2023),Fummins (08-17-2023),inuvik (08-17-2023),MetroMPG (08-17-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,424 Times in 1,031 Posts
    Hello Moparfreak - I think you've come to the right place. If you find a blue one, with a 5 speed, you better jump on it. The blue ones are racecars. I guess I'm a mopar freak too. I have a 1972 Plymouth Scamp with an LA 360. I haven't had it out of the garage for a while. Too many cars parked behind it. But some of those should clear out kind of soon.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Welcome, Moparfreak!

More than a few members here either had or still have (I do) old Geo Metros. Mine's a '98 Canadian Market Pontiac Firefly 1.0L/5MT... though I haven't had it on the road for a few years. Need to get on that.

A convincing argument has been made that the Mirage is the Metro's spiritual successor.

I've bought three different 2014 Mirages -- all 5MT. All with above average kms and below average pricing. I re-sold the first two for a "buy two, get one free" sort of thing. #3 looks to be a keeper!

Good luck on your search!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

inuvik (08-17-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Moparfreak View Post
    I am seriously considering buying an older (2014 to 2017) Mirage. I want the great Geoesque gas mileage with a safer (airbags) car. I also own a 94 Geo 4 door hatchback with the 3cyl, 5 spd. I like manual trans cars, so will be looking for that transmission.
    Welcome to the forum & good luck Mirage shopping!

I am not a former Metro owner, but I compare my 2017 Mirage ES manual to my former 1990 Ford Festiva (designed by Mazda, built by KIA, sold by Ford) that I drove for 14 years. That car was very basic (1.3 L, 63 hp, 5-speed manual), but it had a 4th cylinder. I'm cheap! It was $5,300 brand new after a $1,000 Ford rebate at the time. Great little car. Would buy one today if they still existed brand new!

The charm of a 3-cylinder Mirage has grown on me over the past few years.

Personally, I like the updates of the 2017 Mirage (78 hp vs 74 hp, too). If I were shopping for a used Mirage today, I would be drawn to the 2017-19 (because I prefer the manual climate controls with A/C over the auto climate controls). It's not a total deal breaker, however.

The 2019 ES manual would be my ultimate pick, because factory cruise control became standard for all trim levels that year. The 2017-18 ES manual would not have factory cruise control. There is one odd duck in this mix, too! The 2017 SE manual exists and it would have factory cruise control, too.

Cruise control can be added to any car, & my 2017 ES manual is approaching 80,000 miles without it. It's the only feature I miss. I must be becoming soft in my old age!

I don't know the 2014-15 Mirages as well, but I would guess the ES has cruise control & the DE does not. I don't pay attention to much else when it comes to features on economy cars.

Good luck with your search! Sadly manuals were dropped in 2023, but I wouldn't pay new car prices these days anyways.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Moparfreak (08-21-2023)