Thread: VW lowering springs + Rear sway bar review

Country
    United States
    Thanks

VW lowering springs + Rear sway bar review

**** works. That is all.

$46 MaxSpeed LOWERING SPRINGS SET FOR 1998-2006 VOLKSWAGEN BEETLE F1.4/R1.2
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/281692778202...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Forgot the price - Ultra Racing Rear Sway Bar.
    http://www.ultraracing.my/catalog/in...roller=product

More details:
    The sway bar definitely keeps the rear planted more and helps with the swaying. I would recon, it gave the car 50-75% roll resistance. I must say that I didnt think it would work; I'm glad I was proven wrong. Every mirage that rolls out the factory needs some sort of rear sway bar. Product is nice and heavy - might be too much for the average user, but I take corners like they're meant to be taken so the stiffness is great for me.

The springs are thicker and heavier than stock. They also seem to be half an inch or so taller than stock. Granting, the stock springs have close to 30k miles on them, I would think that brand new stock springs might be close to this height. The 'air-ride' like feel of the rear is gone. Bounces are nice and firm. Lean has also been reduced thanks to the springs. The result of the raised height also seems to have fixed rear alignment issue of my 15" 195-50-15 wheel/tire combo. Back in the day, it seems that the inside of the tires would be worn out more than the outside of the tires. Now the rear tires seem more flat.

All together, I would, without hesitation, recommend this combo. Since the springs are cheaper, I would have wanted to put them on first without the sway bar to see what difference one and the other does. I didn't feel like doing the same job twice so I just installed both at the same time.

The combo's effect can be seen especially during mild/aggressive medium speed turns. The car seems to not roll at all compared to before. On high speed freeway intersection bridges, with 40mph speed limits, pushing the car at twice the speed limit still feels iffy. The weight imbalance (I'm +200lbs) still has the car bouncing harder/softer on different corners. Not sure if struts/shocks are the culprit - or perhaps changing the front springs would help.

Speaking of which, the aftermarket front springs look like they should work. They seem a little wider than stock though so I'll have to check clearance issues.

The biggest test now is to fill the car up with people and see if the rear still 'bottoms out,' which has happened even with only two people in the past.

Will post pix sometime soon.

Last edited by Ares; 07-13-2015 at 05:23 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Ares For This Useful Post:

Kineo (03-22-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Name:  2.jpg
Views: 2269
Size:  88.3 KB
    Name:  4.jpg
Views: 2070
Size:  35.8 KB
    Name:  5.jpg
Views: 1979
Size:  52.0 KB

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Ares For This Useful Post:

91cavgt (07-23-2015),ahintofpepperjack (08-24-2015),alex16 (07-13-2015),inuvik (07-13-2015),Kineo (03-22-2016),laceygirl (08-23-2015),MetroMPG (07-13-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Those rear sway bars are the business! They get the job done and very well. The mirage turns into a poor handling car into a sporty feeling car for only $250! With the stock springs it still handles very soft as well. I just ran into the same issue with all my springs, when I have maximum capacity (maybe a little over) from 5 big guys the rear suspension bottoms out constantly on bumps, I wonder if the VW springs can handle the extra weight.
    2014 ES F5MBD aka 5MT. I am a full time Uber driver, if you want to drive for uber DO not sign up without my referral code for a bonus .

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    No doubt these springs can handle the weight. I haven't heard my tires hit the fender either and I've driven the car 300+ miles.

Now to find some bodies to put some weight on.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Those lowering springs look like they are for a jetta or golf. They are about 1/2" longer than the factory springs I pulled form a 1998 beetle

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 38.6 mpg (US) ... 16.4 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I got what's on the box and on the website. Either way, it worked for me.

Just the price makes it worth it for me. I could have easily gotten some name brand springs, but didnt feel like spending.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Did you ever try the front springs?

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    any updates?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I moved out of my home and into an apartment so I have been busy since.

Also, I'm very happy I installed these springs because the roads that I'm driving to and from work are really bouncy. They're not broken roads or potholes, but lots of dips. I'm sure I would be bouncing all over the place if I still had my stock springs.

Texas summer is almost over; I'm hoping to look at installing these in September at the earliest.

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Sir @Ares how about loading the back with at least 3 or 4 people? Did you already tried that? any issues?