Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is a really good door speaker to upgrade to?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

What is a really good door speaker to upgrade to?

I really want some better sounding music. My old mirage kind of sucked until I replaced the front speakers with something that had better high end. and then a cheap under-seat subwoofer put in the trunk.

My old dodge neon had 6x9's pioneer 3 ways in the back and 6.5 pioneer 3ways in the front.
    And that sound system sounded amazing. People were amazed that I did not have a amp. or sub.

I am waiting on my new 2023 Mirage. I have asked my dealer took look into the Rockford Fosgate addon. But I don't think it's something they can do still.

I put an sound ordinance under-seat subwoofer in the trunk of my last Mirage. It was an improvement, but did not have the sound range that I was hoping for.

It doesn't have to be as good as my old car. But it would be nice to have a good sound.
    I am also in Canada and it can be hard to get stuff from the US sometimes.
    I also don't want to spend a fortune, but I know quality costs.

Thanks in advance.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to cleadus_fetus For This Useful Post:

vintzend (01-03-2023)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I have Pioneer front and rear, 6" 2 way in the back and 6" 3 way I think, in the front. My friend installed a pair of Pioneer I had and a set he had. I'm looking to get a better head, the Mitsu one with nav maps, not Google/Apple play as I refuse to get a data plan for my phone. My rate is $8/mo unlimited voice/text/pics with Canada wide long distance.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Before you upgrade the speakers, do the head unit first. That's always a weak point with factory electronics,and the Rockford unit offered isn't much better than the base unit. If you can't find a shop in NS, then Crutchfield.ca is your best bet.
    As for your original question, any speaker will be an improvement, but adding sound deadening to the door behind the speaker panel will make any speaker upgrade perform SO MUCH BETTER.
    I had a shop here in Ottawa do my installation, here's what they treated the woofer in the front door:
    Name:  275123604_10159877149192394_9000492848381663504_n.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  93.0 KB
    The tweeter was easily mounted in the panel next to the mirror:
    Name:  274986512_10159877149122394_3039529873500077084_n.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  94.4 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2022 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 40.1 mpg (US) ... 17.0 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 48.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Hey, nice, what's the little relay/speaker thing under the plastic to the left of the speaker? Are all Mirage doors sealed with a layerof plastic like yours?
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    Hey, nice, what's the little relay/speaker thing under the plastic to the left of the speaker? Are all Mirage doors sealed with a layerof plastic like yours?
    That's the crossover for the speakers.
    I'm sure all our cars should have some sort of vapour barrier.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2022 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 40.1 mpg (US) ... 17.0 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 48.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    As others have stated you're going to be limited by the output of your stock head unit, so as you correctly guessed, there's no use "breaking the bank" on speakers as it'll essentially just be trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

I have these in my car. At ~$50 for the set, front and rear, they are already over-spec'ed for the Mirage's sound system (something like 25W/channel is coming to mind for some reason?). They are an improvement over the stock cones in terms of (as far as I can tell) having a flatter frequency response curve across the range. Because of that, though, they are less bass-heavy, and also end up being slightly quieter overall. So take your pick.

I will caution that more expensive speakers are usually made expecting wayyyyy more input power, so just being an idiot and throwing a ton of money at the speakers will actually end up making things way quieter and probably sound worse than stock. As another member has stated, if you are serious about getting nutsack-melting sound out of a humble Mirage, you will probably need to rip out and fully replace the entire sound system, and also probably your alternator (although I think the Canadian version get the big boy one to begin with because of the stop/start feature).

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PityOnU View Post
    As others have stated you're going to be limited by the output of your stock head unit, so as you correctly guessed, there's no use "breaking the bank" on speakers as it'll essentially just be trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

I have these in my car. At ~$50 for the set, front and rear, they are already over-spec'ed for the Mirage's sound system (something like 25W/channel is coming to mind for some reason?). They are an improvement over the stock cones in terms of (as far as I can tell) having a flatter frequency response curve across the range. Because of that, though, they are less bass-heavy, and also end up being slightly quieter overall. So take your pick.

I will caution that more expensive speakers are usually made expecting wayyyyy more input power, so just being an idiot and throwing a ton of money at the speakers will actually end up making things way quieter and probably sound worse than stock. As another member has stated, if you are serious about getting nutsack-melting sound out of a humble Mirage, you will probably need to rip out and fully replace the entire sound system, and also probably your alternator (although I think the Canadian version get the big boy one to begin with because of the stop/start feature).
    Do you have any suggestions for a head unit that is easy to install into the mirage and retain the steering wheel control and backup camera?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 88coltturbo View Post
    The tweeter was easily mounted in the panel next to the mirror
    Is this picture of where they will rest. Or do you have a picture of them in the panel.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cleadus_fetus View Post
    Is this picture of where they will rest. Or do you have a picture of them in the panel.
    That's a pic of them actually mounted. Surface mounted in a pod. Panel mounting flush was considered, but then they wouldn't aim properly.
    Going with a good coax would avoid having to do this, and some head units have dsp to compensate for that, to make it sound like you've got tweeters mounted up high.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I was looking at this
    on Crutchfield. And it states that it wont fit. I am assuming because of depth.
    Do you have any ideas about the depth that we will be working with. I am not apposed to "Surface Mounting" them.