Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How many miles before front wheel bearing replacement?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,389 Times in 1,007 Posts
    You're cornfusing me Ares. You said you never replaced your OEM tires, but you're running oversized wheels/tires.
    That seems contrary. Unless you mean that when you plum wore out your OEM tires, you swapped wheels (with new tires on them), and never replaced your OEM tires on the original wheels. Is that what you mean?

Also, I'm at 25k on my Enasaves, and they still look good to go for another 25k. You must have been racing through parking lots like you were on an autocross course. Shoppers like that.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    You're cornfusing me Ares. You said you never replaced your OEM tires, but you're running oversized wheels/tires.
    That seems contrary. Unless you mean that when you plum wore out your OEM tires, you swapped wheels (with new tires on them), and never replaced your OEM tires on the original wheels. Is that what you mean?

Also, I'm at 25k on my Enasaves, and they still look good to go for another 25k. You must have been racing through parking lots like you were on an autocross course. Shoppers like that.
    IIRC you figured Ares out. My trailers are likely to see no more than 1500 miles in a year, yet I have to give them a shot or two of grease from a manual pump gun every 2-3 years to top up the Bearing Buddy. I'm amazed car bearings can run so long untouched.. I had a sled trailer that needed greasing every 1000 mile trip. I have no idea where the grease went. I examined the bearings closely and never saw why.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post

I get around 60-65k out of my Enasaves. On second front pair, at 127k. Hoping they will last until spring, they are around 3/32 tread.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    2018 Mirage SE. 120,000 miles. Just had serviced today (oil change/tires rotated.) Original wheel bearings are fine. Vehicle tracks straight and rides smooth.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    I just replaced my right (passenger) front wheel bearing at 115,000 miles. It wasn't horrible (no play in it) but it was making that howling noise and urinating me off. So I changed it.

It was so much fun, I replaced my driver's side wheel bearing at the same time...even though it was fine.

For those who haven't replaced a pressed-in wheel bearing before, when you pull a front hub out of these cars, you sort of rip the old bearing apart in the process. So I was able to compare the good/bad bearing. The only difference I saw was that the grease in the good bearing was nice and black. The grease in the bad bearing was a brown, rusty color. So I'm assuming one of the bearing seals had failed and allowed moisture/dirt/rust in.

I have been working on a huge "wheel bearing replacement for dummies" thread where I will show you how to do this job in your garage with hand tools and a minimal amount of grief. So if you are even thinking about replacing a wheel bearing, sit tight for a few days and I will have it put together and posted.

HERE is an article discussing bearing failure in sealed "cartridge-style" wheel bearings like the Mirage uses.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

inuvik (01-04-2023),Mark (01-05-2023),tomrad (01-04-2023)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I didn't notice if Steve replaced any of his on 'cheap plastic car', does anyone know? If not, he got over 300k out of his bearings.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Not that I recall but I missed some of his posting.
    My Saturn Vue is pushing 255,000KMs on the original wheel bearings in 17 winters of Ontario's fascination with salt and calcium.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tomrad View Post
    I get around 60-65k out of my Enasaves. On second front pair, at 127k. Hoping they will last until spring, they are around 3/32 tread.
    I was initially quite harsh on the Dunlop Enasaves, but that was the result of having a sidewall issue/blow out @ 15,000 miles with one. As I used up a remaining pair of them, I developed a bit more respect for them. They lasted longer than I expected & they do roll nicely. I thought traction & performance was more than adequate for most driving conditions. I only used one Dunlop pair (rear axle) during one winter, however. I bought my Mirage in October of 2017 & determined by that December that I needed a snow tire up front.

After the side wall issue, I bought a pair of Federal SS-657 to use. I still have one remaining Dunlop with 15,000 miles on it in my garage.

When the Dunlop tires were on my Mirage, I made sure I had a full size spare in the car for longer trips. I lost faith in them, but I can't say the other pair let me down. Regardless of their performance, $187.88/tire (using tirerack.com pricing) is a bit ridiculous. I wouldn't hesitate to use more affordable used Dunlop tires , however. I carry a full time spare all the time now.

Walmart has a set of 4 Dunlops listed @ $929.16 tonight. That's $232.29/tire, which is crazy! I could buy 4 Kumho Solus TA31 with 500AA/60,000 warranty for $68.26/tire ($273.04/set). Walmart mounts tires bought from them for free. Lifetime balance is $14/tire, unless that's changed from the last time I checked.

I would say Dunlop tires are not bad. They wear decently, and their LRR feature is legit. Their pricing is just nuts!

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    There is zero lack of suitable tyres in Europe. My summer tyres were pulled off a brand new zero-miles Suzuki. The owner wanted all-season tyres with his new car. I got them very cheap, around €/US$ 120 for all four.
    Winter tyres slowly need replacement after eight winters, and brand new winter tyres cost around €/US$ 40.- a piece. Winter or all-season tyres being mandatory legal requirement in these parts.

The wheel bearings are fine. I think it depends on where the car was driven. Potholes and salt or magnesium chloride may shorten their life expectency.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    There is zero lack of suitable tyres in Europe. My summer tyres were pulled off a brand new zero-miles Suzuki. The owner wanted all-season tyres with his new car. I got them very cheap, around €/US$ 120 for all four.
    Winter tyres slowly need replacement after eight winters, and brand new winter tyres cost around €/US$ 40.- a piece. Winter or all-season tyres being mandatory legal requirement in these parts.

The wheel bearings are fine. I think it depends on where the car was driven. Potholes and salt or magnesium chloride may shorten their life expectency.
    You made out great with those tires. Another friend told me this morning a failed wheel bearing on her out of warranty 2018 Sonic set her back over $600. Yikes. Add to that brakes, oil change and some fluids and her car set her back $1600! It only has 54,000 miles too.

I'm getting ready to renew my Saturn Vue and parts will set me back $500-$600 but that's a new alternator, serp belt, brake flex lines, brake hard lines, rear shoes, front pads, clutch and pressure plate. I have a reserve of $200 in case I need cylinders or calipers. My Saturn should then be good for about 7-10 years with the type of mileage I might put on it. I miss the comfort of it from time to tome and I enjoy the size as well. Driving a larger vehicle can be nice.