Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Mitsubishi Mirage Owner (and forum user)! Hello :)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

New Mitsubishi Mirage Owner (and forum user)! Hello :)

Hello! I just purchased my first Mitsubishi Mirage...today! She's a 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage DE hatchback, manual transmission, has less than 90K miles, and was a great price.

I'm truthfully very new to the world of Mitsubishi (I've had a Ford Focus for the last seven years or so). I have quite a busy work schedule (not vehicle related), so I'm hoping to get the most out of my new little 3-cylinder. :) I would love to hear from others!

How do you like your Mirage? Are there any "upgrades" you would recommend sooner rather than later, and/or are there any issues I should be on the lookout for? I've briefly read about rear misalignment issues and manual clutch cable rusting/breaking, but is there anything more...hidden? So far, the clutch feels fine, but I fear that prior owner(s) may I have used the Mirage to learn how to drive a manual transmission. If this is the case, should I primitively replace the clutch cable (and perhaps the clutch?).

Regardless, it's nice to virtually meet all of you! Excited to be here and learn. :D

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pascale View Post
    Hello! I just purchased my first Mitsubishi Mirage...today! She's a 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage DE hatchback, manual transmission, has less than 90K miles, and was a great price.

I'm truthfully very new to the world of Mitsubishi (I've had a Ford Focus for the last seven years or so). I have quite a busy work schedule (not vehicle related), so I'm hoping to get the most out of my new little 3-cylinder. I would love to hear from others!

How do you like your Mirage? Are there any "upgrades" you would recommend sooner rather than later, and/or are there any issues I should be on the lookout for? I've briefly read about rear misalignment issues and manual clutch cable rusting/breaking, but is there anything more...hidden? So far, the clutch feels fine, but I fear that prior owner(s) may I have used the Mirage to learn how to drive a manual transmission. If this is the case, should I primitively replace the clutch cable (and perhaps the clutch?).

Regardless, it's nice to virtually meet all of you! Excited to be here and learn.
    I wouldn't worry about your clutch cable or clutch for that matter, unless you actually sense an issue. Having said that, I purchased an affordable clutch cable via eBay. I keep a clutch cable & serpentine belt stored inside my spare tire area. Should either one fail (especially if far from home), I have them. Even if I needed the assistance of a mechanic for the job, he would need the parts. If I were traveling somewhere far, having them already makes me feel better.

I hope you enjoy your Mirage! Welcome to the forum!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

pascale (01-05-2023)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

I'm truthfully very new to the world of Mitsubishi (I've had a Ford Focus for the last seven years or so). I have quite a busy work schedule (not vehicle related), so I'm hoping to get the most out of my new little 3-cylinder. I would love to hear from others!

Regardless, it's nice to virtually meet all of you! Excited to be here and learn.
    Clutch test simple and effective. Drive at 20 mph, shift into 4th, floor it. If your clutch is tight the car will bog badly and literally stall. If your clutch is shady the engine will rev right up as the engine power causes the flaky clutch to slip like mad.

From were you live the wiring under the driver left foot can corrode badly and there was a recall to insulate the wires.

Watch the oil level, keep it clean, try to more or less follow the service schedule and you'll likely end up in the 250,000+ mile club

Welcome!
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Wallythacker For This Useful Post:

pascale (01-05-2023)

Business Up Front Johnny Mullet's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Welcome to the forum! If it ain't broke. Don't fix it and enjoy the MPG's

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Johnny Mullet For This Useful Post:

Fummins (01-04-2023),pascale (01-05-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,424 Times in 1,031 Posts
    How do you like your Mirage?
    We all hate ours.

Are there any "upgrades" you would recommend sooner rather than later, and/or are there any issues I should be on the lookout for?
    Upgrades? I think a Glock model 23 makes a nice upgrade to every vehicle. I've added one of those to my Mirage. I also added a fully upgraded 401k (up to the IRS's maximum contribution limit), and it looks great so far. I recommend both of those sooner rather than later.

I've briefly read about rear misalignment issues and manual clutch cable rusting/breaking, but is there anything more...hidden?
    My car is new-ish. But I'm kicking around the idea of running a new clutch cable in parallel (where possible) alongside the existing clutch cable. I don't know if I can run a 2nd and get it to fit through the firewall, but that would be great if possible. And then if / when the clutch cable breaks, it should be quick and easy to attach the ends. As far as the rear axle alignment, watch and judge your rear tires ... if they don't wear weird (ain't broke), don't fix it.

So far, the clutch feels fine, but I fear that prior owner(s) may I have used the Mirage to learn how to drive a manual transmission. If this is the case, should I primitively replace the clutch cable (and perhaps the clutch?).
    As far as the clutch, I wouldn't be too concerned about it. If it seems ok, it'll likely be YEARS before its ever an issue.

Pardon my ridiculous. I reply so ridiculously because I think I'm cooler than what I actually am. Just ask my Warden.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

Fummins (01-05-2023),pascale (01-05-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    Clutch test simple and effective. Drive at 20 mph, shift into 4th, floor it. If your clutch is tight the car will bog badly and literally stall. If your clutch is shady the engine will rev right up as the engine power causes the flaky clutch to slip like mad.
    While I agree that if it slips under these conditions, it most certainly is a bad clutch. But at 20 mph in 4th, the engine is making only about 2 lb-ft of torque.

OK, Ok, ok, I exaggerate. But again, if it slips at 2 lb-ft of torque, it is certainly no good. Even better is to drive it in 5th at ~4,000 rpm. Which is the engine's max torque, and where the transmission has even more leverage over the engine. And then floor it. If it holds with no slipping, that clutch is good.

With only 70-something lb-ft of torque, this little 3-tapper is very easy on the clutch. You'd have to be either be an idiot with the clutch pedal, or be trying to abuse the clutch.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    We all hate ours.

Upgrades? I think a Glock model 23 makes a nice upgrade to every vehicle. I've added one of those to my Mirage. I also added a fully upgraded 401k (up to the IRS's maximum contribution limit), and it looks great so far. I recommend both of those sooner rather than later.

My car is new-ish. But I'm kicking around the idea of running a new clutch cable in parallel (where possible) alongside the existing clutch cable. I don't know if I can run a 2nd and get it to fit through the firewall, but that would be great if possible. And then if / when the clutch cable breaks, it should be quick and easy to attach the ends. As far as the rear axle alignment, watch and judge your rear tires ... if they don't wear weird (ain't broke), don't fix it.

As far as the clutch, I wouldn't be too concerned about it. If it seems ok, it'll likely be YEARS before its ever an issue.

Pardon my ridiculous. I reply so ridiculously because I think I'm cooler than what I actually am. Just ask my Warden.
    Someone was on a roll today in their own mind at least!

To Pascale: We have all sorts on this forum!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mark View Post
    someone was on a roll today in their own mind at least!
    Ed Zachery!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I wouldn't worry about your clutch cable or clutch for that matter, unless you actually sense an issue. Having said that, I purchased an affordable clutch cable via eBay. I keep a clutch cable & serpentine belt stored inside my spare tire area. Should either one fail (especially if far from home), I have them. Even if I needed the assistance of a mechanic for the job, he would need the parts. If I were traveling somewhere far, having them already makes me feel better.

I hope you enjoy your Mirage! Welcome to the forum!
    Thanks so much, Mark!

I'll keep an eye out on eBay and purchase some parts for the car when the time comes. Especially a serpentine belt! I actually replaced the one on my Focus a few weeks ago. It was still acceptable, but I was replacing the thermostat, the old belt was covered in power steering fluid, and I thought...might as well? Anyway, I'll consider that practice.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post

From were you live the wiring under the driver left foot can corrode badly and there was a recall to insulate the wires.

Watch the oil level, keep it clean, try to more or less follow the service schedule and you'll likely end up in the 250,000+ mile club

Welcome!
    Thanks for the recommendation! I'll be getting the car near the end of the month (long story short, bought it from across the state, had my father test drive and pick it up for me), so I'll be able to test it myself then! My father drove it for about 96 miles (~154 km) and said everything felt great, but I am a bit on the reserved side of things. When I bought my '09 Focus in 2016, she only had ~70K miles but her clutch went out a few months later. Wasn't from me though, my grinding gears days were long over by then!

I checked the VIN for recalls and nothing came up and fortunately, it doesn't seem like the car has lived in overly humid areas. Ah, the grand CA drought...

Thank you again!