Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Inherited 2017 G4 ES CVT

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Inherited 2017 G4 ES CVT

As stated I just inherited a 2017 Mirage G4 ES CVT in Wine RED with almost 54,000 miles on it. I have been driving it for about a week and it seems decent enough. I have a 30 mile one way commute to work on mostly 55 MPH marked highway (so ~65 MPH actual speed) and it handles it fairly well. The vague and sensitive steering takes a little getting used to and the CVT seems easy to confuse and isn't nearly as smooth as I expected. I give them lots of credit for designing a little tiny car that a fat man like me can actually get in and out of. I am actually enjoying the car so, yeah, I'm kind of impressed. It does what it's supposed to do with very little drama. The CVT has me worried due to all the bad press they get. It's due for a major service at 60,000 miles per the manual so the dealer service center should change out the transmission fluid and hopefully get it to live a nice long life. Also considering an aftermarket powertrain warranty for a bit of piece of mind with that CVT. I will consult with the dealer to see if they have one they recommend before getting any aftermarket warranty. I have done some research on repairs and replacement parts and most don't seem too badly priced but, oh those tire prices! I expected the tires to be cheap, but I was wrong there. Thanks for having me. And thanks in advance for all the advice and answers to my stupid questions that are sure to come in the future!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Look at a 175/65 or a 185/60 and tires will get cheaper. Welcome.
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks for the welcome! I wondered if other tire sizes would fit, thanks for that as well!

Quote Originally Posted by ylekot View Post
    As stated I just inherited a 2017 Mirage G4 ES CVT in Wine RED with almost 54,000 miles on it. I have been driving it for about a week and it seems decent enough. I have a 30 mile one way commute to work on mostly 55 MPH marked highway (so ~65 MPH actual speed) and it handles it fairly well. The vague and sensitive steering takes a little getting used to and the CVT seems easy to confuse and isn't nearly as smooth as I expected. I give them lots of credit for designing a little tiny car that a fat man like me can actually get in and out of. I am actually enjoying the car so, yeah, I'm kind of impressed. It does what it's supposed to do with very little drama. The CVT has me worried due to all the bad press they get. It's due for a major service at 60,000 miles per the manual so the dealer service center should change out the transmission fluid and hopefully get it to live a nice long life. Also considering an aftermarket powertrain warranty for a bit of piece of mind with that CVT. I will consult with the dealer to see if they have one they recommend before getting any aftermarket warranty. I have done some research on repairs and replacement parts and most don't seem too badly priced but, oh those tire prices! I expected the tires to be cheap, but I was wrong there. Thanks for having me. And thanks in advance for all the advice and answers to my stupid questions that are sure to come in the future!
    Welcome! It wouldn't hurt to have them replace both filters(2) when replacing the cvt fluid. Our longest-lasting Mirage cvt in the fleet has had the most maintenance done compared to the others and it's still going strong at 287,xxxmiles(462,xxxkm).

Tires are cheap if you can find them. Like basic suggested, try a different size if replacing all 4. We run 185/60's on the fleet cars(though they are a little wide for the 4.5" wide rim) and they seem less twitchy on the highway. They are a hair too wide for a 4.5" wide rim but we've never had an issue with that over the last 8 years.
    I run 175/65 on my own car and they're considerably narrower, which I prefer in the winter for the most part. But opinions can vary a lot on that subject.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

ylekot (01-06-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thank you! I plan to have the CVT serviced as soon as possible and I will have them change both filters as you suggest.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ylekot View Post
    I have done some research on repairs and replacement parts and most don't seem too badly priced but, oh those tire prices! I expected the tires to be cheap, but I was wrong there. Thanks for having me. And thanks in advance for all the advice and answers to my stupid questions that are sure to come in the future!
    I am going to repeat & add some to what has already been said about tire options. I want to start out by saying tires, batteries, & other items like that have just gone up these past couple years. Everything is more expensive! The last dozen eggs that I bought last week were a 400% increase over two years ago. It's where things are!

A base level Mirage would come with 14" x 4.5" steel rims.

145-175 mm wide tires would be recommended for 4.5" wide rims. 185 mm wide seems to work for some.

Tire size mentioned so far (less than 3% diameter variance is considered acceptable by most tire installers) -

165/65r14 - 22.4" outside diameter/factory size tire
    175/65r14 - 23" outside diameter = 2.7% variance
    185/60r14 - 22.7" outside diameter = 1.3% variance

Personally, I would stick to 165/65r14 & 175/65r14 tires if using the factory 14" x 4.5" steel rims. I see no need to go wider, because hundreds of 175/65r14 tire options exist.

I have bought tires for my Mirage from simpletire.com, tires-easy.com, tirerack.com, & walmart.com. If I can get the best price at Walmart that would be my preferred place to buy from, because my local Walmart will mount any tire bought through them for free. Lifetime balance charge is $14/tire. The disposal of old tires was $1.50/tire. These are prices of a year or two ago, however. I haven't checked recently.

If I had to buy a pair of tires today, I would buy the 165/65r14 Kumho Solus TA31 (500AA rating/60,000 mile warranty) @ Walmart for $68.26/tire. I bought a pair of 165/65r14 Nexen N'Priz AH5 (460AA rating/50,000 mile warranty) from tires-easy.com a couple years ago, and I am very happy with them. They were on sale for $50/tire at the time, however.

If I am shopping for 165/65r14 all-season tires for my Mirage, the Kumho & Nexen is what I use as my gauge. I am not saying some of the lesser known brands are not a good value. I have no experience with them.

165/65r14 tires I have used so far -
    Dunlop Enasave - I am not willing to pay $150+ for a Mirage tire.
    Nokian Nordman 7 - this is my 6th winter of using these tires up front, and they are a good value.
    Kumho Solus TA31 - good tire rating & warranty, I am happy with them. Using up front summer & rear for winter.
    Nexen N'Priz AH5 - a very good tire when found on sale. Still using summer months.
    Federal SS657 - no longer found, but they were an affordable alternative (approximately $40/tire, but that 4 years ago). I got about 40,000 miles out of a pair.

I drive on winter ridge roads to get home. I have two sets of tires on 14" x 4.5" steel rims. I plan on trying a pair of 165/65r14 Vedestein Quatrac 5 tires next winter. I bought some on sale through Tire Rack recently, but they are on backorder. I don't expect to get them until April.

Everyone's situation is different, & I am just sharing mine. I prefer a 165/65r14 narrow tire for my situation. I am a firm believer that narrow tires do better in snow. I base that on various FWD small cars driven the past 30 years or so.

If I lived near Discount Tire, they would also receive my business. Most people speak very highly of them. I just checked their 165/65r14 tires, and I would not hesitate to buy the Kumho Solus TA31 or Nokian Nordman 7 tires from them today (depending on my need).

175/65r14 is always another option. Walmart offers 331 tire options in that size today. I haven't looked at them. Many may be duplicate offerings, but the point is you have more choices than you need! I see no need to explore other sizes.
    Last edited by Mark; 01-05-2023 at 05:04 PM.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (01-06-2023),ylekot (01-06-2023)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I am a fan of narrow tires in snow, and I like to maintain MAXIMUM air pressure when they are COLD. It's doubtful that in the winter they will heat enough to become dangerously pressurized.

I had an experience in stupidity recently. I don't how or why but all my tires got down to about 19 PSI. At that point I wasn't driving a Mirage. I was piloting a plate of molasses around town. It was weird.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Wallythacker For This Useful Post:

ylekot (01-06-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    I am a fan of narrow tires in snow, and I like to maintain MAXIMUM air pressure when they are COLD. It's doubtful that in the winter they will heat enough to become dangerously pressurized.

I had an experience in stupidity recently. I don't how or why but all my tires got down to about 19 PSI. At that point I wasn't driving a Mirage. I was piloting a plate of molasses around town. It was weird.
    A winter or two I left work with a flat rear tire. Had no idea until I knew.... The roads were full of potholes and unplowed for the first 3 blocks so there was no sign of having a flat, then I hit the "freeway". There was no way in hell I was stopping in rush hour to change a $60 tire so I just kept going til the next off ramp and pulled into a gas station parking lot. Took only a few minutes to put the under-inflated spare on, then I back on the road hoping the donut didn't self destruct.
    I typically don't do a full walk around before driving away and I still don't.
    Note to self:check all tire pressures tonight...
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    =Note to self:check all tire pressures tonight...
    lol!!
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    You sound like me when I first got my Mirage. Worrying that it had a Nissan CVT in it. After a few years of testimonials from fellow CVT Mirage owners on here I don't worry about it anymore. Fummins on here keeps his fleet running great and those cars are beat to hell doing deliveries in the Great White North. We also got a Mitsubishi master tech on here that says he rarely sees Mirages in for CVT issues, and if he does, they're well over 100k miles. Don't go to a dealer to service the CVT. Go to Aamco. Much better service and cheaper too.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

ylekot (01-06-2023)