Thread: 2017 Mirage Hatch 5sp intro

Country
    United States
    Thanks

2017 Mirage Hatch 5sp intro

Hello all,

Back in April 2021 I bought a (heavily) used 2017 Mirage base model right before the price of cars doubled after lurking on this forum since the car came out. I got it for $5,000 + tax, at 90k miles (with a new clutch).

The catch was it was pre-dented, smoked in/cigarette burned, twice repossessed, and no options at all.
    Perfect. I got tired of getting dents on my VW MK6 anyways, expected to have it for a few months as I was driving a ton for work.

Well now my VW sits 95% of the time and I throw this little black egg shaped thing around the roads and it has continued to impress me with the ability to take an absolute thrashing around town, foot down to 75mph on the highway and still get 35+mpg and is super reliable. Not to mention it is basically invisible and the lack of pretentiousness suits my personality.

Fixes: Front window nut came out of arm, thanks to the posts here I fixed it on mine and a friend's Mirage

Modifications: Added a tow hitch, trailer light kit, euro style ball, aliexpress seat covers and heated seat pad

Planned: Currently have lowering springs to put on, off brand rear shocks. Want to stiffen the front and rear (maybe send off OEM shocks for revalve?), drop it 1.5 inches, maybe switch to BMW bottlecap 14" wheels and stay with cheap non-sticky tires so I don't flip the car on its roof.

Also planned: Cruise control? Seen the threads, just debating

Also planned: The airbox mount is coming apart, perhaps will make some kind of intake to reduce the weight and because I don't want to pay for a giant plastic airbox piece.

Questions: Not really. I guess the real question is should I just wait until used mirage prices get back in line with other cars and just buy a 2021 or 2022 manual that will have cruise and heated seats?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,709 Times in 2,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by expertninja View Post
    Hello all,

Back in April 2021 I bought a (heavily) used 2017 Mirage base model right before the price of cars doubled after lurking on this forum since the car came out. I got it for $5,000 + tax, at 90k miles (with a new clutch).

The catch was it was pre-dented, smoked in/cigarette burned, twice repossessed, and no options at all.
    Perfect. I got tired of getting dents on my VW MK6 anyways, expected to have it for a few months as I was driving a ton for work.

Well now my VW sits 95% of the time and I throw this little black egg shaped thing around the roads and it has continued to impress me with the ability to take an absolute thrashing around town, foot down to 75mph on the highway and still get 35+mpg and is super reliable. Not to mention it is basically invisible and the lack of pretentiousness suits my personality.

Fixes: Front window nut came out of arm, thanks to the posts here I fixed it on mine and a friend's Mirage

Modifications: Added a tow hitch, trailer light kit, euro style ball, aliexpress seat covers and heated seat pad

Planned: Currently have lowering springs to put on, off brand rear shocks. Want to stiffen the front and rear (maybe send off OEM shocks for revalve?), drop it 1.5 inches, maybe switch to BMW bottlecap 14" wheels and stay with cheap non-sticky tires so I don't flip the car on its roof.

Also planned: Cruise control? Seen the threads, just debating

Also planned: The airbox mount is coming apart, perhaps will make some kind of intake to reduce the weight and because I don't want to pay for a giant plastic airbox piece.

Questions: Not really. I guess the real question is should I just wait until used mirage prices get back in line with other cars and just buy a 2021 or 2022 manual that will have cruise and heated seats?

2017-2022 ES manual & 2017 SE manual are the current manual options since the 2017 Mirage updates.

2018 ES manual - Bluetooth/backup cameras became standard for all trim levels.
    2019 ES manual - Cruise control & 6-way adjustable driver's seat became standard for all.
    2020 ES manual - Auto climate controls became standard for all again (was standard for all in 2014-15).
    2021-22 manual - change in front rear ends & emergency braking added to all.
    2023 - CVT standard for all trim levels - Yuck!

I may have missed something here, but these are the major changes as I see them. I am not aware of a 2021-22 manual with heated seats, but all have cruise control since 2019.

I live in Wisconsin. I would NEVER use heated seats. I'm never cold in my cloth seats. If I had leather seats, I may feel differently.

Welcome to forum! I hope to drive my 2017 Mirage ES manual for 15-20 years!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    2017-2022 ES manual & 2017 SE manual are the current manual options since the 2017 Mirage updates.

live in Wisconsin. I would NEVER use heated seats. I'm never cold in my cloth seats. If I had leather seats, I may feel differently.

One reason my Saturn does not see a lot of winter use is the leather interior. I used a heated seat on another leather seat and blemished it badly. The shop wanted $300 to dye match all 4 seats. I don't think so.

Anyhow, welcome here. I never stop learning, this place is great because of the people.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Business Up Front Johnny Mullet's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Welcome to the site. These are awesome little cars.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post

2018 ES manual - Bluetooth/backup cameras became standard for all trim levels.
    2019 ES manual - Cruise control & 6-way adjustable driver's seat became standard for all.
    2020 ES manual - Auto climate controls became standard for all again (was standard for all in 2014-15).
    2021-22 manual - change in front rear ends & emergency braking added to all.
    2023 - CVT standard for all trim levels - Yuck!

I may have missed something here, but these are the major changes as I see them. I am not aware of a 2021-22 manual with heated seats, but all have cruise control since 2019.

I live in Wisconsin. I would NEVER use heated seats. I'm never cold in my cloth seats. If I had leather seats, I may feel differently.

I live in Virginia and I use my seat heater in the 100 degree summer with the A/C on full blast ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Part of the reason I want to buy a newer Mirage is because mine has lived such a.... full life of character before I got it. And I don't see another car this simple and easy to work on being available in the US market ever again. But a stick shift is a must have currently. Maybe 10 years in the future I will buy grandma's final model year Mirage with a CVT, swap it to a stick shift, and keep it until gasoline gets outlawed.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to expertninja For This Useful Post:

BigMW (01-06-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,709 Times in 2,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by expertninja View Post
    I live in Virginia and I use my seat heater in the 100 degree summer with the A/C on full blast ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Part of the reason I want to buy a newer Mirage is because mine has lived such a.... full life of character before I got it. And I don't see another car this simple and easy to work on being available in the US market ever again. But a stick shift is a must have currently. Maybe 10 years in the future I will buy grandma's final model year Mirage with a CVT, swap it to a stick shift, and keep it until gasoline gets outlawed.
    The really nice thing about your situation is you can take your time on purchasing a newer/less abused Mirage. Overall, I don't think used Mirage prices are still going up.

I would just keep searching sites like autotrader.com, cars.com, craigslist.com & eventually you will find something that really interests you. I shared the manual trim options, because it would sway my search if I had to replace my 2017 Mirage ES manual.

I would be drawn to the 2019 ES manual, because factory cruise control was added that year, & I don't like auto climate controls that became standard the following year. Neither of these items are deal breakers if the deal was right, however. Cruise control can be added to any vehicle. I could live with auto climate control (would hate it) if I had to do so.

I would rather have ventilated seats that cooled you off versus heated seats. I don't like sweating when I am driving. I never sit in a cloth car seat (even at -20F) & feel cold for very long. I have custom fit neoprene seat covers. If anything, they make the seat seem warmer/faster. I don't see that as a positive.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Welcome!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2022 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 40.1 mpg (US) ... 17.0 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 48.1 mpg (Imp)