Thread: Power window reset

Country
    UK
    Thanks

Power window reset

Just changed the right front window motor. Part looks identical to original.

Window will only inch up and down, taking 10 button presses to come down and 11 to go up. "Helping" the window up and down does not change that. It appears free enough.

Tried the reset procedure. Shut the doors, power up but not started the engine.
    Window down to the bottom, held button for 5 s. Window up to the top, held button for 5 s.

No change. All other windows work fine.

Then disconnected the battery for 5 mins. Reconnect and reset as above again.
    No change. Still inching up and down.

Any ideas please????

I've only had that happen a couple times, once when the window regulator bolts came loose and bent the regulator causing it bind up. And the other was when it was -34c so I blame the cold.

I've never had to do any reset procedure when replacing the regulator/motor assembly.
    Does the regulator and window move freely with the motor removed?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Regulator metalwork is in good condition. No rust. Moves freely.
    Section 42A-57 talks about the anti-trap function not being activated until the learning procedure has been completed. This is the position I am in - no anti-trap, no one-shot down, implying the "anti-trap function has been reset".

I am wondering if the button hold time when closed is critical? i.e. must be 1 second, not 0.5 or 4s?

Quote Originally Posted by SoundAdvice View Post
    Regulator metalwork is in good condition. No rust. Moves freely.
    Section 42A-57 talks about the anti-trap function not being activated until the learning procedure has been completed. This is the position I am in - no anti-trap, no one-shot down, implying the "anti-trap function has been reset".

I am wondering if the button hold time when closed is critical? i.e. must be 1 second, not 0.5 or 4s?
    Anything is possible? I haven't had to dink around with that stuff before. Some of our work cars have the auto-up/down enables and some have it off. How they ended up that way, I don't know?

There's a new member who's a Master Mitsubishi Tech, maybe he'll chime in with some wisdom?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    You need to hold the window switch all the way down and continue holding the switch after its fully open for a few extra seconds. Then hold the window switch up until the window is closes and continue holding the switch for a few seconds to set the limits. Then the one rich feature should work.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BillAce For This Useful Post:

BigMW (01-06-2023),Christopher_B (01-06-2023),Fummins (01-06-2023),mohammad (01-07-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BillAce View Post
    You need to hold the window switch all the way down and continue holding the switch after its fully open for a few extra seconds. Then hold the window switch up until the window is closes and continue holding the switch for a few seconds to set the limits. Then the one rich feature should work.
    Yes - this is what I had to do after disconnecting and connecting the battery.

Although looking back up at your post... inching up and down would seem to be an unrelated problem.. like a bind or drag on the unit.

Another shot in the dark here.....is the connector(for the motor) in good shape, not blackened or corroded at all? These cars can do funny things when connections aren't nice and shiny.

Iirc, the motor was nfg because it was rusted from getting water inside or humidity.

I don't know how that anti-trap feature is designed? Does it sense higher current then reverse? There's only two wires going to the motor I belive.

Business Up Front Johnny Mullet's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Don't use "Auto up/down" when resetting the window. Press down first click till window bottoms out and hold a couple seconds, the pull up first click till stop and hold a couple seconds and it should reset.

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Thanks for all your responses. All is now well, but its worth recording the history. Plus, the only successful reset was performed by :-

Disconnecting the battery for 15 minutes, and reconnecting.
    Closing the doors. Power up, but don't start the engine.
    Lowering the window using the first switch position. Hold for 5 seconds.
    Raise fully using the first switch position.
    Release the switch.
    Hold in the first position for 5 seconds.
    Auto up/down now works.
    I'm not saying the above is the only way, but it worked for me.

Now for some history.
    The window failed to raise one day. I traced this to a completely rusted away splined shaft in the window motor gearbox.
    Not wanting to pay hundreds for a new one, I tried to find the correct part number with a view to buying second-hand.
    Having spent a lot of time trying to find the correct part number (which I don't think I ever did..), I bought one from a Lithuanian company.
    It arrived in good condition and looked identical to the original.
    Having fitted it, the window would move, but then stop after a second.
    Then I saw the motor connector on the replacement part had only two pins, instead of six on the original.
    I then realised that the replacement motor did not have the internal motor shaft position sensors as on the original. This meant the ECU had no knowledge of how far the window had moved or (possibly) whether it had stalled.
    I then swapped the internal gears between the motors and refitted the original with the sensors. No inching now.
    I carried out the reset procedure, which partially worked. The window responded to the one-shot up and down buttons, but when the window hit the fully closed position it immediately came back down a few inches as if the anti-trap function had triggered.
    After several attempts to reset, without success, I disconnected the battery for 15 minutes.
    Performing the reset procedure once more fixed everything.

Moral of this story is...a) Don't drive on the left (its a thing we do here, nightmare for manufacturers), b) Check thoroughly before fitting replacement parts.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SoundAdvice For This Useful Post:

BigMW (01-07-2023),CROSSBOLT (01-09-2023),Fummins (01-08-2023),inuvik (01-09-2023)