Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just bought a 2018 ES manual transmission and HI!

Professor
    Country
    United States
    Thanks

Cool Just bought a 2018 ES manual transmission and HI!

Although I love the ruggedness and reliability of my 2002 Nissan Xterra XE, I get only 13mpg on it in the city. So in an effort to improve my carbon footprint, I shopped for the most affordable high MPG vehicle. So I discovered the Mirage!
    I read the reviews and laughed at what American reviewers found important that the Mirage lacked: High HP, 0 to 60 acceleration, and luxury feel (the last made me lol the most.)
    I grew up around fuel efficient cars that are easy to maintain. Driving my Mirage brings me back to those days.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage EA 1.2 manual: 33.0 mpg (US) ... 14.0 km/L ... 7.1 L/100 km ... 39.7 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to srquixote For This Useful Post:

88coltturbo (01-07-2023),BigMW (01-07-2023),Fummins (01-09-2023),precisionxt (01-09-2023)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Smart move and Welcome! 13 mpg? Makes me shudder, my 429 Mustang did better than that in the city.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Welcome!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2022 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 40.1 mpg (US) ... 17.0 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 48.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by srquixote View Post
    Although I love the ruggedness and reliability of my 2002 Nissan Xterra XE, I get only 13mpg on it in the city. So in an effort to improve my carbon footprint, I shopped for the most affordable high MPG vehicle. So I discovered the Mirage!
    I read the reviews and laughed at what American reviewers found important that the Mirage lacked: High HP, 0 to 60 acceleration, and luxury feel (the last made me lol the most.)
    I grew up around fuel efficient cars that are easy to maintain. Driving my Mirage brings me back to those days.
    I think many happy Mirage owners have some history with small economy cars of the past. For me it would have been my first car (1978 Honda Civic Wagon) and a 1990 Ford Festiva (designed by Mazda, built by KIA, sold by Ford). The GEO Metro 3-cylinder crowd relates to the Mirage quite well, too!

I drove that 63 horsepower Festiva for 14 years. I like having a small economy car in my driveway again. It takes care of 80-90% of my needs, & it saves wear & tear on my older Forester that I don't want to replace any time soon.

Prior to purchasing my Mirage in 2017, I rely on European reviews of the Mirage. They embraced/highlighted the best features of the car better. If you can find a good deal on one, a Mirage is quite affordable, reliable, and very economical to own/drive.

Welcome to the forum!!!!

Business Up Front Johnny Mullet's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Glad you could join us!

Professor
    Country
    United States
    Thanks

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    Smart move and Welcome! 13 mpg? Makes me shudder, my 429 Mustang did better than that in the city.
    Yeah. On the other hand my Xterra is tough as bricks and can pull 5,000 lbs. So I'm keeping her for when I need to tow stuff and it snows.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage EA 1.2 manual: 33.0 mpg (US) ... 14.0 km/L ... 7.1 L/100 km ... 39.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,389 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Yeah. On the other hand my Xterra is tough as bricks and can pull 5,000 lbs. So I'm keeping her for when I need to tow stuff and it snows.
    Probably a smart move to keep it too. And welcome aboard, you're off to a good start. My 1972 Plymouth Scamp with LA 360 does about 13 mpg around town. I parked my son's G35 next to the Scamp, and the G35 made the Scamp look skimpy. I'm betting the Xterra would look huge next to my Scamp, which is probably part of the low mpg issue with the Xterra ... that it's bigger / heavier than it may appear.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Xterra & Mirage sound like a good combination. They sort of excel in opposite areas. The Mirage will most likely extend the life of your Xterra, and you will save on gas while doing so. It's nice to have a body on a frame vehicle for towing, too!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Welcome! I agree with this sentiment. Your Mirage will likely outlast other vehicles 3x the price that prioritize amenities and excessive power over simplicity and longevity. As someone who has had to rebuild engines and other components multiple times on past vehicles, I welcome a car that just freaking works.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 41.5 mpg (US) ... 17.7 km/L ... 5.7 L/100 km ... 49.9 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to precisionxt For This Useful Post:

Fummins (01-09-2023),inuvik (01-09-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Hello srquixote and welcome to the forum.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)