Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Semi Essential tools you carry.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Semi Essential tools you carry.

I'm curious, what beyond simple everyday type tools do you carry, if any?
    I'm not surprised if a 3/8" metric socket and screwdriver set are under the seat,
    We mostly have the factory wrench/jack. Maybe a flashlight, tire pressure gauge

I have 11 pc 1/2" dr. metric deep impact socket set
    Sears breaker bar/torque adapter ( I deleted the factory wrench & jack)
    Assorted screwdriver set.
    LED Spotlight & worklight. tire pressure gauge, manual
    Mechanics gloves, reflective vest, warning triangle, rubber poncho

Galvanized drawbar, 1/2 & 5/8" locking pins
    (2) 1 7/8 & 1 2" swappable trailer balls
    standard spring safety pins
    5500 lb, tow strap w/hooks
    (4) 1500 1.5" ratchet straps
    1 l oil & funnel, 2 l washer fluid
    6 ton hydraulic bottle jack (I use a large screwdriver as the handle)

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Business Up Front Johnny Mullet's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I carry a basic metric tool set, some screwdrivers, a hammer, a prybar, and a 12v air compressor. I also carry two serpentine belts.

K060352 A/C bypass belt in case a compressor locks up.
    K060483 factory belt just in case.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Mullet View Post
    I carry a basic metric tool set, some screwdrivers, a hammer, a prybar, and a 12v air compressor. I also carry two serpentine belts.

K060352 A/C bypass belt in case a compressor locks up.
    K060483 factory belt just in case.
    Johnny, I'm adding the bypass compressor belt. That's a good one.
    Also adding a rubber mallet.
    Someone pinched my 1.3g compressor.
    Hmmm, I should add my factory halogen in case my LEDs decide to die.
    Also a wiper blade of each length.

Forget to mention I also have a 400w invertor and a 5 or 10w solar panel.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

For tools, I carry nothing other than the factory tire iron and jack kit. If I need anything more than that then I have a cell phone. I guess a tow rope wouldn't be a horrible idea but I don't plan to break down. The more tools I carry with me, the more likely I am to break down.

I do have a spare belt and a headlight bulb. Those aren't really tools though.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

mohammad (01-13-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 2,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    For tools, I carry nothing other than the factory tire iron and jack kit. If I need anything more than that then I have a cell phone. I guess a tow rope wouldn't be a horrible idea but I don't plan to break down. The more tools I carry with me, the more likely I am to break down.

I'm about the same. I have an extra headlight bulb, serpentine belt, and clutch cable store within my full size spare (which would be one of my summer tires during the winter months).

If I am taking my chainsaws, bike, riding lawnmower, ATV, tractor, UTV, or something like that somewhere, I will have some tools along. I tend to carry some tools in my Forester, because it's hauling those things more often. My Mirage usually hauls me, and I don't require tool adjustments.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,422 Times in 1,029 Posts
    For tools, I carry a Glock Model 23.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 2,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    For tools, I carry a Glock Model 23.
    You hold up someone with tools @ gun point & make them change your serpentine belt for you?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post

Princess has a nice tow hook, $5.50 fabric alone or $7.50 with hooks. Good enough for someone to pull me from the ditch.

I pretty much have to depend on myself so being self contained is the way for me. Inevitably when I go on a road trip is of course when I'll need some basic tools. I really need to get busy on the false floor storage zone to get organized.
    Last edited by Wallythacker; 01-11-2023 at 10:39 PM.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I have the factory jack and tire iron. Probably going to get rid of those. I have 2 different roadside assistances so I am not worried about that.

I do keep a 12v air compressor with a gauge. and an emergency roadside emergency kit. I think the most "tool" like thing is the jumper cables. It does have a flashlight but I have my phone and that doubles as a flashlight and GPS. I have Offline maps downloaded for my where I will eb driving and the surrounding areas.

I also carry a good knife and I am going to put a lighter in the glove box. maybe a bit of toilet paper.
    If I really needed to start a fire easy I would just burn the French manual. I can't read it anyway.

Cell coverage where I am from is really good. It only gets poor once you go ATV'ing into the woods real deep.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to cleadus_fetus For This Useful Post:

Fummins (01-11-2023)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cleadus_fetus View Post
    I have the factory jack and tire iron. Probably going to get rid of those. I have 2 different roadside assistances so I am not worried about that.

I do keep a 12v air compressor with a gauge. and an emergency roadside emergency kit. I think the most "tool" like thing is the jumper cables. It does have a flashlight but I have my phone and that doubles as a flashlight and GPS. I have Offline maps downloaded for my where I will eb driving and the surrounding areas.

I also carry a good knife and I am going to put a lighter in the glove box. maybe a bit of toilet paper.
    If I really needed to start a fire easy I would just burn the French manual. I can't read it anyway.

Cell coverage where I am from is really good. It only gets poor once you go ATV'ing into the woods real deep.
    funny how much small stuff I used to carry. like a good knife/firestarter. I think this summer has me doing some long trips 12-1500 miles away from home deep into northern Ontario. I might head to BC depending. I'd like to while my car is running well and still very reliable. I can get CAA but that just gets you somewhere to get fleeced for repairs.