Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hobbies, I have a few. What do you enjoy?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironhorse883 View Post
    So I have a few hobbies.
    Watchmaking
    Anything R/C
    Telescopes/ Space.

I currently build custom automatic watches for people. I'll have some examples later of some custom dials.

I also have a R/C crawler (TRX4) , I also love flying drones. ( I currently don't have a drone)
    Collecting music, trying to convert my vinyl collection onto CDs. Just the sound isn't quite as loud on my burned CDs. I bought a Newmark record player with USB recorder a while ago.

So far I have only done one of two sides of 2 different LPs, just to make sure I could do it properly. But for some reason I haven't gotten around to burning all these CDs or making mp3s from my records. Hobby to come.

My big hobby as a kid was model cars and airplanes. I can paint pretty well but I think I lost the talent somewhere along the way.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I like to shoot my pellet gun in the woods and listen to audio books.
    I don't shoot at anything living. I bring metal targets with me.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to cleadus_fetus For This Useful Post:

Basic (01-16-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Do you restore old tractors, keep them, flip them?

Are you partial to a certain brand?
    We started collecting when I was about 5 so roughly 40 years ago before it was really a thing.

We restored exactly ONE and realized that was A) way too much work to do properly B) a waste of time because when you go to a show all the restored ones look exactly the same.

So we started looking for ones that were all original. Survivors as its called in the collector car world. It has been our mission for the past 35 years to promote original paint preservation, and it has finally gained a following although at this point there's no telling how many we have lost to subpar crappy paintjobs...

We aren't very good at selling them... we have sold exactly ONE in my lifetime, although since Dad passed us boys have finally started to realize that we don't have time for them all and are going to start letting go of some of the ones we aren't attached to.

That said, we have almost 200 at this point... mostly Oliver, Minneapolis-Moline, and Cockshutt as well as anything oddball. We avoid Deere and IH at all costs since everyone and their mother have those.
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Basic For This Useful Post:

Fummins (01-16-2023)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Basic View Post
    We started collecting when I was about 5 so roughly 40 years ago before it was really a thing.

We restored exactly ONE and realized that was A) way too much work to do properly B) a waste of time because when you go to a show all the restored ones look exactly the same.

So we started looking for ones that were all original. Survivors as its called in the collector car world. It has been our mission for the past 35 years to promote original paint preservation, and it has finally gained a following although at this point there's no telling how many we have lost to subpar crappy paintjobs...

We aren't very good at selling them... we have sold exactly ONE in my lifetime, although since Dad passed us boys have finally started to realize that we don't have time for them all and are going to start letting go of some of the ones we aren't attached to.

That said, we have almost 200 at this point... mostly Oliver, Minneapolis-Moline, and Cockshutt as well as anything oddball. We avoid Deere and IH at all costs since everyone and their mother have those.
    Wow, I know of a guy in Mid-Ontario that has perhaps 40, all the same brand which I forget, hmm, red so probably Massey-Ferguson. Every spring they would appear parked on the corner of his huge country lot. Then they would disappear in the fall. He lives close enough to town I'm sure the developers will pay him a fortune for his property and he could sell the tractors for scrap and come out miles ahead.

DO you have any pics of your fleet of 200 all gathered together?
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    If he's a true Canadian at heart those red tractors are Cockshutt as to my knowledge that is the only true Canadian brand. And he would want to have an auction as they are worth wayyy more than scrap value.

And no, unfortunately. They are spread out over 3 different farms in two different states

Although plans are in place to consolidate them at some point. I am looking for an old chicken farm to convert the barns into tractor museums. 500 feet of tractors on each side with a wide aisle down the middle... I can just see it now...
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts

My Dad has been an IH man all his life, but he has a John Deere 700 series riding lawn mower these days. Our neighbor had a Cockshutt that he used all the time. I would help him during the haying seasons at times, but I don't remember if I ever drove it.

My uncle had a M-M U & Z. I always thought they were goofy tractors. It's like they built them, & then remembered they had to add a steering wheel to it. I never became a big fan of hand clutches & their seats. Later on my uncle picked up an Oliver 77, but that was much later. All of his tractors were actively used. He bought them for farming. He was a bit behind the times back then. Most Oliver fan boys were using White tractors by that time. I drove my other uncle's Leyland a lot as a kid. It was from the UK, and it was a decent tractor.

Growing up on a dairy farm in Wisconsin, Allis Chalmers (made in Milwaukee) were popular for some. One of our other neighbors used all Allis-Chalmers tractors.

I grew up using my dad's Farmall H (started driving that one in 3rd grade), 350, 806, 574, & 966. We didn't have all of them at the same time. The 806 replaced the 350, which a neighbor down the road still has. The 966 replaced the 806. The H was the only tractor ever bought new (by my grandpa in 1948), & it remains on the farm.

I don't remember my dad or relatives ever buying a new tractor. Our neighbor always had one model newer than us. Instead of our 806, he had a 856 and instead of our 966 he had the 986 with a cab. Those tractors did a lot of work. My 82 year old dad still has the H & he has a 784 with a loader these days.

A custom crop farmer rents my Dad's large machine shed year round, & his equipment seems huge by comparison. I don't know how today's farmers pay for it? Parts & labor are so expensive, too! I had a student driver from a farm a couple years ago, tell me a part broke on their large forage chopper. I believe it was a gear, and it cost them $65,000 to replace it. Ouch! You have to milk a lot of cows to pay for that!

Thanks for sharing your hobby! I find old tractors fascinating. It would be cool to know the story behind each one.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    If he's a true Canadian at heart those red tractors are Cockshutt as to my knowledge that is the only true Canadian brand. And he would want to have an auction as they are worth wayyy more than scrap value.

And no, unfortunately. They are spread out over 3 different farms in two different states

Although plans are in place to consolidate them at some point. I am looking for an old chicken farm to convert the barns into tractor museums. 500 feet of tractors on each side with a wide aisle down the middle... I can just see it now...
    I would seriously come visit your museum in my Mirage some day!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I would seriously come visit your museum in my Mirage some day!
    Hey, count me in! I'll willingly road trip for cool machinery, aircraft of all sorts, exotic movie stuff, and maybe ham radio.

I'll road trip to the red tractor guy this summer, it's my old town and I have good friends there. I suspect all the tractors will not be on display. The last time I saw them was, ummm, 2009, maybe 2007 and if the owner was 60 in 99, (I'm guessing, I stopped one day when I saw him him out and said hi) then he's 85 or more now. Probably sold his house for a fortune and moved to a retirement home.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,395 Times in 1,012 Posts
    Basic - I've been thinking for a couple years now it would be a cool project to hand build a motorcycle, I guess a cruiser, and use whatever brand tractor engine in it for maximum ka-chunk ka-chunk ka-chunk sound at idle. Would not have to or need to be fast. The slower the better. The more it looks like a contraption, the better. Just to putt putt down the road. I have no idea where to source an old worn out (but able to run) tractor engine. Perhaps you're the man for that?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Basic - I've been thinking for a couple years now it would be a cool project to hand build a motorcycle, I guess a cruiser, and use whatever brand tractor engine in it for maximum ka-chunk ka-chunk ka-chunk sound at idle. Would not have to or need to be fast. The slower the better. The more it looks like a contraption, the better. Just to putt putt down the road. I have no idea where to source an old worn out (but able to run) tractor engine. Perhaps you're the man for that?
    Naw, don't wuss out. Go for it with a mean old Ford Powerstroke, oh and make it smoke like the tards with their exhaust at window level. That'll get the chicks!