Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Is this the end of the Mirage?

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicPunk View Post
    Your reset is coming. "By 2030, You'll own nothing and you'll be happy"-Klaus Schwab, nazi. Leader of the World Economic Forum
    On my way walking to work in 2020, I had to walk past "protesters" screaming profanities and one of the things they had written on a placard said "you will own nothing and you'll be happy", written over a Star of David. I didn't understand what that meant? Enlightening me brother?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,424 Times in 1,031 Posts
    I think it means: "I have nothing because I refuse to get a job and I use drugs, so everyone else should be forced to not have a job and do drugs."

How accurate am I?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    I think it means: "I have nothing because I refuse to get a job and I use drugs, so everyone else should be forced to not have a job and do drugs."

How accurate am I?
    That's one interpretation I guess lol.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    "Most Affordable Full-Size Pickup: Ram 1500 Classic, $44,245." Holy cow! Men are idiots. I'll never be buying a new truck. I drove my big blue truck this morning, just because it's been a while. It is a proper truck, a loaded out 3/4 ton. I only paid $34k for it. Course that was 23 years ago. Glad I have what I have. And shall keep them a while longer...
    Your truck is awesome. I am no large truck fan but I see the appeal in yours. Great engine/driveline, amazing mileage for what it is, you get about 32mpg Canadian. And can tow an M1A1 Abrahms around town. Nicely finished inside and a good looking rig all around.

Back in the 80's when the economy was going through another weird round of price insanity a popular thing was buying a beat Porsche/Audi/Opel and having it ground up restored. For 1/2 the cost, or less, of a new vehicle you got a classic on the road, probably good for way more miles than buying the same brand new. I can see that coming again.

As for the 2030 thing, there's talk the world will be forced away from ownership and everything is a pay as you go service. you lease cars, tvs, bikes, you rent houses, condos, etc. Since everything you have is not owned there's a monthly bill for it all forever, every month until you die. Will it happen? I dunno. I can see the lower tiers of society being trapped in that with of course, the rich doing what they do best, rent seeking. I'll be dead before it affects everyone but I worry for my kid.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    On my way walking to work in 2020, I had to walk past "protesters" screaming profanities and one of the things they had written on a placard said "you will own nothing and you'll be happy", written over a Star of David. I didn't understand what that meant? Enlightening me brother?
    WallyThacker pretty much nailed it. The World Economic Forum is a group we didn't elect, deciding how our lives (and our children's lives) will be. It's led by this German putz Klaus Schwab, who's father had ties to the 3rd Reich, and the son is embarking on the 4th. No hyperbole, just research it. Here's their promotional video. They've backed off the "you'll own nothing" statement publicly, but that's still the goal. Real dystopian stuff. But at least we have our Mirages (for now).

https://youtube.com/shorts/aztvWxRKqDQ?feature=share

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    85% of new car purchases are financed. In total, 43% of Americans have a car payment. These people do not own their car. The bank does.

Only 65% of Americans "own" a home. Of those, 63% are paying down a mortgage. These people do not own a home. The bank does.

75% of Americans use movie/TV streaming platforms. These people do not own any movies/TV shows. This is also true if they watch cable or terrestrial broadcasts.

77% of Americans use music streaming services. These people do not own any music.

35% of Americans finance their smartphone. These people do not own their phone.

Nobody owns any of the software they use (operating system, games, head unit on a vehicle), they own a license that can be revoked at any time.

Anything you bought with a credit card (e.g. appliances), you do not own until you've paid the card down.

None of this is 4th Reich Illuminati machinations. This is called late-stage capitalism. This is the invisible hand of the free market followed to its logical conclusion.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to PityOnU For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (02-17-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I always said I would never buy another new car after selling my 2003 Focus SVT which was the only other car I bought new.
    The main reasons I bought the Mirage were it checked my most important boxes. Buying almost anything is combination of compromises. The larger the purchase generally the more compromises. At least for those of us without an unlimited budget.
    I would not buy a CVT because I do not know enough about repairing them.
    I can buy used cars for several hundred to a few thousand dollars and make them drive well enough. Currently I am driving a rusted out 1990 Dodge omni with a cobbled together rear strut tower. I wasn't sure the repair would take (as I am no body man) but I have driven 5,000 miles on the repair and now expect it will last another 30-50,000 miles. I actually bought the car for $500 over 100,000 miles ago. I drove it home from Chicago with the gas the previous owner had in the tank.
    I could not imagine paying more than $10K for a used anything that wasn't a house. Unless of course the resale value is immense.

Mark, are you still in the market for an old Festiva manual?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,424 Times in 1,031 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    Your truck is awesome. I am no large truck fan but I see the appeal in yours. Great engine/driveline, amazing mileage for what it is, you get about 32mpg Canadian. And can tow an M1A1 Abrahms around town. Nicely finished inside and a good looking rig all around.
    When I bought it, the thought was, that it covered all duty. Not great at any duty extreme, but it could do it ... if I were limited to 1 vehicle. Combined with the fact that for its size it got really good mpg, and due to the robustness of the engine and transmission it should be reliable long term. I'll admit, all my 'figgerin' turned out to be correct. I appreciate your appreciation of the all around utility of that truck. Does 20 mpg U.S. equal about 32 mpg Canadian?

Here it is in Zombie Apocalypse mode: Yamaha Grizzly 4X4 400cc in the bed. Honda CRF 450X (with a license plate) out back.

Name:  20131021_124120.jpg
Views: 401
Size:  97.5 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PityOnU View Post
    85% of new car purchases are financed. In total, 43% of Americans have a car payment. These people do not own their car. The bank does.

Only 65% of Americans "own" a home. Of those, 63% are paying down a mortgage. These people do not own a home. The bank does.

75% of Americans use movie/TV streaming platforms. These people do not own any movies/TV shows. This is also true if they watch cable or terrestrial broadcasts.

77% of Americans use music streaming services. These people do not own any music.

35% of Americans finance their smartphone. These people do not own their phone.

Nobody owns any of the software they use (operating system, games, head unit on a vehicle), they own a license that can be revoked at any time.

Anything you bought with a credit card (e.g. appliances), you do not own until you've paid the card down.

None of this is 4th Reich Illuminati machinations. This is called late-stage capitalism. This is the invisible hand of the free market followed to its logical conclusion.
    You clearly didn't research anything about the WEF or Klaus Schwab. Nice statistics though. Come back after you put in the effort.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicPunk View Post
    You clearly didn't research anything about the WEF or Klaus Schwab. Nice statistics though. Come back after you put in the effort.
    It doesn't take very long listening (a few minutes) to Klaus Schwab to realize where his connections/origins are from. There is evil all around us, & I will leave it at that when it comes to the WEF.