Country
    United States
    Thanks

Is this the end of the Mirage?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/rese...Q1a?li=BBnb7Kz

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I don't think you are going to see the mirage go anywhere in North America.
    If anything that car is becoming more popular. My dealership had more than 7 other mirages on order when I got mine.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    As fuel prices and car prices rise the need for an inexpensive and fuel efficient should only increase as well. However, what the market needs and what the companies provide for sale can be 2 completely different things. And with the government trying to shove electric cars down our throats I wouldn't be surprised if small pure gas cars get outlawed.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ylekot For This Useful Post:

BigMW (02-08-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 2,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cleadus_fetus View Post
    I don't think you are going to see the mirage go anywhere in North America.
    If anything that car is becoming more popular. My dealership had more than 7 other mirages on order when I got mine.
    White Bear used to carry 50+ Mirages & G4 in the past. They have 15 today. The largest dealership (of various brands) in Wisconsin has one new Mirage in stock. This is the first one I have seen in stock this past year. They had a few G4 cars for sale, however. Mirages are around, but I wouldn't associate the word popular with them.

Now that they dropped the Mirage ES manual in 2023, I feel the Mirage is already gone in the States!

I don't see the Mirage becoming all that more popular, but its competition has surely disappeared. Sales were up in Canada & down in the States for 2022.

Canada's increase in Mirage sales doesn't overcome the Mirage's drop in sales 22,743 (2021) - 15,814 (2022) = 6,928 less cars sold in the States.

Lots of factors are most likely in play. Huge discounts are gone & inventory has not been good. On a personal level, I would rather buy a used car over a new Mirage that is near or above MSRP.

I do think the Mirage has become more accepted in North America in recent years. High gas prices, economic recession, shut downs, & other factors have probably made some reconsider how much they spend on a vehicle. At the same time, the average new vehicle costs have climbed to $48,681 (that's a chunk of money).

In 2015, KIA sold over 147,000 of one model (Soul). In recent years, KIA Soul sales are about half that. Even popular cars are dwindling in sales despite the fact some competitors aren't even selling cars any more. I don't consider Ford a car company any more, but they do still sell the Mustang I guess.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I haven't heard anything about the mirage going away yet, and I generally hear the internal rumors at least a year before anything actually happens with models going away or being launched. The gears of change move slowly in such a large corporation. Remember that Mitsubishi Motors is a very small slice of Mitsubishi Heavy Industries.

We did just get a Black Edition with a black roof and big textured black plastic fender flares, which was sold immediately.
    Mitsu master tech since 2009, German car guy, recently bought a 14 Mirage 5spd with 145k. Youtube Channel

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 30.5 mpg (US) ... 13.0 km/L ... 7.7 L/100 km ... 36.6 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fopeano For This Useful Post:

Ret_Marine2003@Yahoo.com (02-12-2023),Wil B (02-06-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by precisionxt View Post
    Made the mistake of reading the comments... I couldn't help myself.

"....why would you buy a Mirage when you could get a used Toyota, Kia, or Hyundai, yada yada yada. These cars are so unreliable. It's a waste of money, etc."

Everywhere you go, the same people with the same criticisms and none seemingly with the ability to conjure an original thought or objective viewpoint. Everyone is an expert at everything.

I'm sorry. I am just tired of people today.
    2023 Mirage ES is approximately $17,000 @ White Bear today.

In 2017, I could have bought TWO brand new Mirage ES manuals for a total price of $17,500 (without doing any negotiations).

Yes, extra standard features like CVT, cruise control, auto climate controls, emergency braking, etc... do cost extra, but I would NEVER pay that much money for a car like the Mirage.

$17,000 would buy a pretty nice low mileage (130 hp) Honda Fit LX manual.

A Mirage is reliable & economical to drive. They must also be affordable to sway me away from slightly used cars. Lack of a manual option in 2023 is a deal breaker for me, but it's not a car I would pay big money for regardless of what features may be on it. Adding standard features like CVT & auto climate controls to a Mirage has made me like it less. It's reached a point where I would only consider a used one with a manual transmission, & it would have be several thousands of dollars less than a used Honda Fit LX manual.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Mark, in 2017,I could have bought 2 bags of Doritos for $4. Now, that same $4 only gets me ONE BAG.
    OMG, call the waaaaaahmbulance!!!!!!!!
    Get over it, and MOVE ON!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2022 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 40.1 mpg (US) ... 17.0 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 48.1 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to 88coltturbo For This Useful Post:

Wil B (02-08-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,420 Times in 1,027 Posts
    Chuckle, chuckle. It was somewhat funny...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 88coltturbo View Post
    Mark, in 2017,I could have bought 2 bags of Doritos for $4. Now, that same $4 only gets me ONE BAG.
    OMG, call the waaaaaahmbulance!!!!!!!!
    Get over it, and MOVE ON!
    I get your point, but that really wasn't my point. A Mirage today is priced at a point where I would consider a used car over it, & I wouldn't bash others that would feel the same way. These cars were still selling for about $11,000-12,000 OTD in early 2021, & that made used cars less appealing.

Even Doritos become less appealing at some price point!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I get your point, but that really wasn't my point. A Mirage today is priced at a point where I would consider a used car over it, & I wouldn't bash others that would feel the same way. These cars were still selling for about $11,000-12,000 OTD in early 2021, & that made used cars less appealing.

Even Doritos become less appealing at some price point!
    We all know how you feel - your rant is present in pretty much every thread on this forum.
    Your constant posts about how expensive things have gotten is tired.
    THAT'S INFLATION. THAT'S THE COST OF DOING BUSINESS. THAT'S LIFE.
    Only an IDIOT with more money than brains would buy neglected used car over a new Mirage for the same money.
    And, let's face it, almost everyone who buys a Honda/Toyota/fill-in-the-blank doesn't maintain it, and passes on the neglect to the poor unsuspecting buyer who thinks it's a better value than buying a new car.
    We've all been down that road, and that's why we're here.
    If I were in the market today for a car, I'd still buy a new Mirage at sticker price, than any used car for the same money.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2022 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 40.1 mpg (US) ... 17.0 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 48.1 mpg (Imp)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to 88coltturbo For This Useful Post:

twister77 (02-08-2023)