Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: CB Radio Install

Business Up Front Johnny Mullet's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    One more radio upgrade. I missed using sideband in the mobile so I got the Anytone 6666 installed. I talked 29 miles on it today.

Attached Images Attached Images  

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Johnny Mullet For This Useful Post:

inuvik (05-08-2023),MightyMirageMpg (09-12-2023)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Mullet View Post
    One more radio upgrade. I missed using sideband in the mobile so I got the Anytone 6666 installed. I talked 29 miles on it today.
    I don't recall the last time I used AM. It's just not used in HAM. I use FM a fair bit as all the repeaters are FM or digital. Then LSB with sometimes USB. I haven't used a key in years, bet I suck and can't even get 10 WPM anymore.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,010 Posts
    I'm trying to get just 1 WP, and I can't do it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    I'm trying to get just 1 WP, and I can't do it.
    It's weird, all of a sudden it clicks. I could not do code, period, for the first year or two I tried it. I walked away and one day I realized I was on 80m listening to code and understanding it. It was a freq where guys were only doing 2-3 WPM cuz they were learning also. Once it clicks though, it's pretty cool. You feel like this god with an insight only a few possess. Lol.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    i have been meaning to install a radio in my Mirage for a long time.

Finally decided I'm going to use my miniature all mode Yaesu.

I bought this a decade ago for when I has hiking/fishing/back country.

I never truly realized how versatile it was until I sat down and actually read the manual after owning it for so long.

This incredible radio has receive RX
    100Khz-30Mhz
    50-54Mhz
    76-154Mhz (AM air band & FM including broadcast FM)
    2M & 70CM (HAM but also complete RX from 136Mhz-174Mhz & 420Mhz-474Mhz)
    It also can transmit on SSB/CW(morse)/Digital/AM on almost any freq.
    The tradeoff? Well, there isn't a lot of power, the top is 5W with 2.5W and 500mW being used quite common.
    The fix? A small dual band amplifier for VHF & UHF (my 30w VHF/20w UHF cost me $70) and a small HF amp (50W PEP was $50) and now I'm close to the full power outputs of conventional car radios. Add the fact it has 200 memory channels and there's very little more you could want.

I have always toyed with owning 2 of these, one dedicated in a small case for portable use, including walking around and the second semi-fixed into the car. I have used mine portable with a compact antenna and talked to Oz/Europe/Americas while walking around outdoor events in the summer. That's fun.

Since this is a tiny radio it easily fits in many spots in the Mirage. Mine is between the console/dash. While figuring out wires last night I was yakking to some guys in Russia. I think I'm going to hunt for a 2nd FT817 and sell my all mode car radio which is simply a high powered version of the same thing. I got lucky, my first 817 was $400 and came with an expensive tuner, spare nimh packs, filters, cables. Now that the 817 and the latest the 818 are officially out of production the prices might soar. I'm lucky as the prices on my all mode full power car radios have risen also. Maybe I'll break even, that would be nice.

Here's a picture of the beast Name:  OIPCURBTZK5.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  26.8 KB When you realize the hand mic is tiny compared to the radio you realize how compact the whole thing is.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Wallythacker For This Useful Post:

inuvik (09-12-2023)

Business Up Front Johnny Mullet's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Let us know how it goes!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    i have been meaning to install a radio in my Mirage for a long time.

Finally decided I'm going to use my miniature all mode Yaesu.
    I've been very interested in a radio like this for a long time. I just haven't been following ham radios enough to keep up. Can this pick up commercial AM & FM stations? I'd like to use this in my Jeep and take it with me so it doesn't get stolen.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    I've been very interested in a radio like this for a long time. I just haven't been following ham radios enough to keep up. Can this pick up commercial AM & FM stations? I'd like to use this in my Jeep and take it with me so it doesn't get stolen.
    I think this is ideal for what you want. It is all band receiver meaning commercial AM and FM (in "wide" mode) and in the HF bands you have access to all the shortwave frequencies. Yes, also all CB (AM 27.x mhz) and the FRS/GM services. Of course, I need to mention the radio is not certified for those bands but in a legitimate emergency situation any band can be used by anyone, licensed operator or not. With that said, I'm perfectly happy with the radio performance on all bands, I can't speak highly enough of it. My only complaint would be 200 memories. Back in the day in a small town that would likely do. If you plan you well can easily make 200 memories work. I have a nice 1000 memory all band trunk tracking handheld scanner that goes with me on trips and it is programmed for common frequencies nationwide. I don't think there isn't anything out there other than satellites than I can't listen to while I'm mobile.

It really is a tiny radio, with a quick release bracket you can pop the radio out and carry it with you or lock it elsewhere in your car. weighs less than 2 lbs. Dual band magnet mount antennas are ideal for the bands above 54mhz. Cheap too, I own a pair of $20 dual band mag mounts which work really well. For HF I sprung the money and got a nice hamstick antenna. You can get reasonable HF mobile antennas with quick releases.

Before the supply of good, clean radios dries up I'm determined to pick up another pair of these. As mentioned, I paid $400 but got another $400 in accessories with the rig. 3 batteries, high accuracy TXCO oscillator, telescopic HF antenna, LDG 817 antenna tuner (those alone are pushing $150 these days), all the cables for computer operation, and a touch tone mic. I notice there isn't a lot of choice right now on Ebay , a few ranging from $450->$650 for the bare radio. I consider these prices a bit high, I'd happily pay $350 for the basic radio. I'm sure there will be cheaper radios surface.

I've never had or even used the original FT-817. It can kill it's final output transistors simply by sitting around with partially charged battery. And, the final transistors for that model are long out of production. Fortunately, the HAM community solved the problem but I'd still go with a 2dn gen Ft-817 or a FT8-818 (that went out of production Dec 22)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/16615516788....c101506.m1851 that little amp gives me 50w all most all HF bands.
    For a few $ more you can get a 1.8mhz-54mhz amp, but I personally wouldn't bother.

If I really needed more than 5w on V/FH I would find the space to mount one of the many chinese made dual band radios. There are some excellent values out there. Given time I'm sure there will be inexpensive all band like my Yaesu but Yaesu/Icom/Kenwood have been making excellent HF radios for a long time. If a radio is meant for rougher use I would personally select one of those 3. There are other small all band rigs like the Elecraft K2 around $600 or the KX3, $1,500 and up easily.

Sometimes these radios surface for good prices at HAM flea markets. In the past a non HAM buying a HAM rig was frowned on and many amateurs simply wouldn't sell to someone without a ticket. Nonsense. It's none of my business what the buyer is doing with the rig. They may never transmit, ever. I know of two people, each with a Yaesu 100w multimode 857. They love to listen and it's a great radio even for pure RX. I love Yaesu for HF, Icom also rates highly with me for HF, my mobiles are a mix of Icom dual bands, and Yaesu single bands. I haven't owned a Kenwood for 30 years, my TH731 from the 90's disappointed me in so many areas I swore the brand off. I sold both my Kenwood TH77's (dual band handy talkies) and my HF rig, a TS-50. Kenwood have lost a lot of money from me. I figure I spent $15k in the last 30 years and none of that has gone to Kenwood.

Good hunting. you will never regret a Yaesu.
    Last edited by Wallythacker; 09-15-2023 at 10:36 AM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Wallythacker For This Useful Post:

Eggman (09-15-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,010 Posts
    Wally - I was thinking about getting a Uniden PRO505XL. Should I?

Mark - I was thinking about getting a set of Dunlop Enasaves. Should I?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Wally - I was thinking about getting a Uniden PRO505XL. Should I?

Mark - I was thinking about getting a set of Dunlop Enasaves. Should I?
    My last Uniden experience was a President, this is likely from the early 80's before I was an amateur. It performed as well as the other major players at the time, Radio Shack, Sears, etc, although Sears had an amazing SSB radio, it had extremely good specs for rejecting junk signals, had a great mic, and was easy to mod almost becoming a 10m rig. It was actually made by Citizen. That, and a huge TRC-457 are the two CB radios I regret selling. Oh well.

As for today? I'd read the off road mags to see what they're using. They need rugged/reliable/hearable radios in the boonies. Hunters and quad guys have good opinions also. Long haul trucks too.

I try to steer people into the ham world as it opens so many doors. My best friend spent his evenings bouncing radio waves off the MOON back to earth and yakking other other moon bouncers. Now how cool is that? My favorite part was using hand held radios, only 1 or 2 watt radios and repeaters to talk all over huge ranges, like 1-200 mile distances. I used to sled long before cell phones were popular and was never worried about being stranded in the huge Ontario forests @-40C. I carried my hand held and a small amp and I was GTG. Once I showed my friends who hunted at the time the benefits of ham stuff they were all in.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Wallythacker For This Useful Post:

inuvik (09-15-2023)