Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CB Radio Install

Business Up Front Johnny Mullet's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks

CB Radio Install

I am into radio communications and always been into CB radio. I have one in the house and most of my vehicles have a CB radio installed. Since my 2017 Mirage is now my daily driver, I been looking for a way to do a clean install and something that looks nice with a modern car.

I been really happy with products from President Electronics and used their products for my install. First off the "New Virginia" mobile antenna is an awesome modern antenna that performs like those longer magnet mount antennas. It also looks good on the Mirage. You can mount it like my pic or turn it around and mount on the hatch and move the arial towards the back.

The right radio was hard to find, but the President Thomas fit the bill. It fit right under the heater controls and still leaves room for cup holder use. It also has display color options and the orange matches the illumination. I also like the modern look of the radio.

I talk to a couple locals on it and use it when traveling for highway information.

Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Johnny Mullet; 01-16-2023 at 02:27 PM.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Johnny Mullet For This Useful Post:

BigMW (01-15-2023),Cobrajet (01-16-2023),Fummins (01-15-2023),inuvik (01-16-2023),Top_Fuel (01-17-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Re-sized and fixed images.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I like it. Fits nicely. I'm still trying to convince myself to install my HAM rig.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    I like it. Fits nicely. I'm still trying to convince myself to install my HAM rig.
    I use my Baofeng UV-82 in the sun visor and it works for me as a portable ham rig.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That antenna looks great! Lots better than the old hockey puck/spring/wire looking ones from years back. I have always wanted to get my ham license but just never have. maybe this year!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Mullet View Post
    I use my Baofeng UV-82 in the sun visor and it works for me as a portable ham rig.
    Hey, I also have one of those. Love it even though programming was a pain.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Got a link to that President rig?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Sure! Amazon also has the Andy II which is the same, but has weather channels.

https://www.amazon.com/President-Ele...s%2C121&sr=8-3

Is there a speaker output on that radio? What kinda range could a guy get out of one? I assume hill top to hill top would be longer than a dense forest? I'm thinking of looking into maybe getting one for the side by side(and one for a friend's machine too). Could put on way more miles in a day if we could communicate on the go rather than stop 100x a day to point something out, figure out where to turn, let someone know their machine is effered or that you're going to see a man about a horse.

Also would be good to have when in a larger group, I don't know how many times we've had 10 machines on a long ride and had part of the group fall behind and nobody knows if they're just slow, lost, had an accident, or broke down. Then one or two machines head back to look for them which can be sketchy if you meet them cresting a hill unexpectedly.

I have couple cheap walkie talkies buy the range sucks and so do the batteries. Can't hear them while driving either. Thought about a com system but those are pricey and I'm cheap.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 1,006 Posts
    I live in Hazard county Georgia. And I was thinking about getting one so that I could let Uncle Jessie know ahead of time that the law was headed out his way and that I might not be able to jump the creek to catch up with the law to slow'em down.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)