Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: CB Radio Install

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Mullet View Post
    SWR was almost flat when I tested it. Needle on the meter barely moved.
    That's impressive!

Business Up Front Johnny Mullet's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Have a strange update. Never had any issues with President Electronics, but the Thomas quit transmitting. I was able to return it and get my money back. I tried to install my full size Uniden, but it was too big. I dug out my old Realistic TRC-453 sideband radio and it's a good fit. I can talk to two different base stations up to 22 miles on lower side band with this rig and up to 10 miles on AM mode.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny Mullet For This Useful Post:

inuvik (02-09-2023)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Mullet View Post
    Have a strange update. Never had any issues with President Electronics, but the Thomas quit transmitting. I was able to return it and get my money back. I tried to install my full size Uniden, but it was too big. I dug out my old Realistic TRC-453 sideband radio and it's a good fit. I can talk to two different base stations up to 22 miles on lower side band with this rig and up to 10 miles on AM mode.
    Johnny, that is one the best SSB rigs made in that era, bar none. IIRC it's easy to unlock, the RF can be bumped up to about 10W AM but why? I used to run a TRC-457 in my car. Do you recall that rig? The very large base station? God I miss that radio.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I love this radio and those base station rigs were sweet. This radio on my meter is 5 watts on AM and swings 19 watts on sideband. I use an Astatic D104 hand microphone on it. I also own a TRC-465 but it's a little beat up and missing an LED segment.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    My D104 is the all chrome model and I will never, ever, even under the threat of death part with it. I bought it new in 1977 for about $59 or so. IU foolishly used it in my car for about a week and nearly spilled a large Coke on it. Out of the car it came.

Some of best people that I know I met over the CB radio. The original social media.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Since getting my base station up at home I met a lot of cool people locally.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I was/am concerned about the current draw. My HF/all band rig pulls about 24 amps so it's not something I will use with the car off. Even with the engine running I would notice lights dim/flicker in the Caravan. I've not used the high power rigs in my Mirage yet. I have used my 50w VHF radio without any issues. Using repeaters it's possible to talk continent wide with relative ease.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I love my Realistic, but I was still wanting another modern radio with changeable display colors, AM and FM mode, and extra channels. I don't really use side band in the mobile and don't try to make skip contacts while driving. I surely don't want someone to steal my Realistic which is impossible to replace.

I was going to get another President radio, but I want more power without needing an amplifier, so an export radio is what I started researching. The Anytone 5555 or 6666 are awesome rigs, but too large for my car. My base station is the Anytone 5555 and it's a loud rig. I took my chances and ordered the Anytone AT-500M for 80 bucks which is similar in size to my Thomas and checks all the boxes. It also puts out 7 watts on AM mode. It will be here in a few days and I'll post results.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny Mullet For This Useful Post:

inuvik (02-09-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    OK I got the Anytone radio and it's a perfect fit for the Mirage. This thing is pretty small, but very powerful and everyone I talk to says it's loud and proud.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Johnny Mullet For This Useful Post:

inuvik (02-13-2023),Top_Fuel (02-14-2023),ylekot (02-13-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,389 Times in 1,007 Posts
    It does look good mounted in there.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)