Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gas attendant broke my fuel door!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    This happened to my girlfriend's G4 last week. There is a small plastic/metal clip that acts to pop the door open when you pull the lever. If this clip comes off...like hers did...then the release will work but the door will not pop out. On the G4s this clip is back near the hinge.

Her clip actually ended up clipped onto the tether for the gas cap! Here is the clip.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/18453034040...gaAiZ7EALw_wcB

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

craigq (01-17-2023),ylekot (01-16-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    This happened to my girlfriend's G4 last week. There is a small plastic/metal clip that acts to pop the door open when you pull the lever. If this clip comes off...like hers did...then the release will work but the door will not pop out. On the G4s this clip is back near the hinge.

Her clip actually ended up clipped onto the tether for the gas cap! Here is the clip.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/18453034040...gaAiZ7EALw_wcB
    That sounds like the issue! Everything still works as designed, but the door doesn't pop open so you can grab it. Thank You!!! Does it just pop back in?
    Last edited by ylekot; 01-16-2023 at 01:24 PM. Reason: Forgot to ask a question

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ylekot View Post
    That sounds like the issue! Everything still works as designed, but the door doesn't pop open so you can grab it. Thank You!!! Does it just pop back in?
    No problem! Yes, it just pops on and off...which is kind of the problem with them. I am not sure you should blame the attendant. I think if the tether for the gas cap ends up in just the right spot when you screw it back on and close the door it can pull this clip off pretty easily when you remove the cap again. You might feel a small snag, but otherwise not even notice it.

My GF didn't even know it had happened until her fuel filler door would not pop out, and we have no station attendants here in Washington.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Mark (01-16-2023),ylekot (01-16-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    No problem! Yes, it just pops on and off...which is kind of the problem with them. I am not sure you should blame the attendant. I think if the tether for the gas cap ends up in just the right spot when you screw it back on and close the door it can pull this clip off pretty easily when you remove the cap again. You might feel a small snag, but otherwise not even notice it.

My GF didn't even know it had happened until her fuel filler door would not pop out, and we have no station attendants here in Washington.
    And that's why my wife is a saint! She keeps me out of trouble. Thank you very much for the information. I will check it out when the wife gets home. If you are ever in northern NY I owe you a beer, or whatever.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ylekot For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (01-16-2023)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I love this community.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to cleadus_fetus For This Useful Post:

ylekot (01-16-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It has been good to me already!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    If the gas station is associated with any of the big name oil companies like Shell, Exxon, BP etc, you can actually report the location to them for doing shady stuff. They don't like stuff like this being associated with their brands and can do a full audit of the situation for you in some cases. I was in a similar but not the exact same situation with a BP station in New England.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That little tab is most likely the problem. It is completely missing. Thank you Cobrajet!! I just ordered the part from the link you posted and that should take care of it.
    Last edited by ylekot; 01-17-2023 at 12:06 AM. Reason: Added info about part

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by heathcliff View Post
    If the gas station is associated with any of the big name oil companies like Shell, Exxon, BP etc, you can actually report the location to them for doing shady stuff. They don't like stuff like this being associated with their brands and can do a full audit of the situation for you in some cases. I was in a similar but not the exact same situation with a BP station in New England.
    It's all good. As Cobrajet pointed out it may or may not be the attendant's fault so I will let it slide and keep an eye on that piece from now on.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    For future reference it is Mitsubishi part # MB642442

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ylekot For This Useful Post:

daleWV (01-18-2023),mohammad (01-18-2023)