Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How long do you plan to keep your Mirage and why?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ylekot View Post
    I am aware of car dealer shadyness. I HATE dealing with car salespeople, or any sales people for that matter. I have had instances in car dealer showrooms where they have misjudged me or insulted my intelligence to the point of nearly tossing their desk. As for selling it privately, that has it's own drawbacks, the hassle and the fact that you have no car until you pick up another one which may or may not be easy to do. The wreck it deal will probably happen in less than a year. However I am terrified to think what a 200 pound whitetail buck is going to do to ME when I blast it at 65 miles per hour. I am not comfortable with a CVT on anything larger than a go kart and that had better have easily replaceable belts and servicing. It flat out sucks on snow and ice and gets blown around in the wind BAD!

Perhaps with a set of winter tires it will handle better. I intend to get an armrest and a remote start and upgrade the stereo as time goes on so that should help the comfort and entertainment side of things.

I just don't feel planted when I'm driving it on bad roads or windy days and you can't pass the erratic or stupid driver, and some farmer is always dragging a derelict piece of farm equipment down the road spreading mud and manure. And the Amish buggies YIKES! I actually felt safer and more in control on a motorcycle in the wind and rain, I have only ever ridden a street bike in the snow once so can't comment on that.

Maybe I'll get used to it.
    It will grow on you to the good. I was renting all sorts of cars during 2013-2016 as Enterprise had a $30 weekend deal. So for $140.mo you basically had a new car for 16 days of the month with no insurance or maint to worry about. It was great. I got to see what almost every small-mid size car sold was like. My first Mirage experience was an Enterprise rental in 2014, beaten to near death, horrid clunks from the front, totally expired suspension (it had 35,000Kms.) and I thought it would kill me before the weekend was up.

It didn't and surprise!, my next Enterprise was a Mirage brand new, 100km on the clock. It was nite and day, the new one was amazing, quick, stable, and comfortable to me. And miles better than so many cars I had already rented. Focus, Festiva, Camry, Elantra, Accent, Versa, Micra, Fiat and so on.

It was the 1200 mike weekend that convinced me the Mirage was great. we got used to each other and I really was sad to turn it in. I requested a Mirage for every future rental but Enterprise must have released them all to auction.

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I love my new mirage and I plan to keep it for at least the 10 years I have it. I have a bumper to bumper warranty for 10 years 200,000km (I carefully read everything before I signed. Its directly through Mitsubishi)

I take really good care of my cars and keep all of my receipts and paper work.
    I plan to go above and beyond the severe service manual recommendations.

I also had the car undercoated by Krown immediately after getting the car. I plan to undercoat it twice a year. Once myself. once at Krown.

Does anyone have any good suggestions for making my Mirage last as long as possible other than what the service manual says?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Vehicle age, and what's on the ODOMETER should NEVER be a reason to get sell and get another car.

I'll keep it until:
    - parts aren't available anymore
    - a repair costs more than the car is worth
    - it rusts out
    I'm a stage in my life where it makes ZERO sense to get into another car just because the one I have now isn't shiny anymore, or there's something else out there with better tech and/or safety features.
    I've spent the last 30+ years buying used cars that needed fixing because of owner neglect.
    Sorry, I just don't agree with anyone suggesting that spending $15k on used Corolla or Civic or ANYTHING is better than buying brand new, and taking care of it YOUR WAY, THE PROPER WAY, from day 1.
    I'm enjoying having money in my pocket at the end of the month, and not worrying about gas hitting $2/liter again.
    We all wonder how long our cars are going to last, and I'm reminded of that Mirage that's gone over 400,000.
    There's no reason in the world we can't all achieve that, as long as we take proper care of it.
    And, once my 2022 needs replacing, hopefully this EV nonsense will be a distant memory, and all new cars will run on hydrogen.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2022 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 40.1 mpg (US) ... 17.0 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 48.1 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 88coltturbo For This Useful Post:

BigMW (01-18-2023),Christopher_B (01-20-2023)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post

The more practical approach is to drive my 2017 (42,000 miles currently.)
    That's what you SHOULD do Wally, it's the least expensive scenario of every one you've laid out.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2022 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 40.1 mpg (US) ... 17.0 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 48.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 88coltturbo View Post
    Vehicle age, and what's on the ODOMETER should NEVER be a reason to get sell and get another car.

I'll keep it until:
    - parts aren't available anymore
    - a repair costs more than the car is worth
    - it rusts out
    I'm a stage in my life where it makes ZERO sense to get into another car just because the one I have now isn't shiny anymore, or there's something else out there with better tech and/or safety features.
    I've spent the last 30+ years buying used cars that needed fixing because of owner neglect.
    Sorry, I just don't agree with anyone suggesting that spending $15k on used Corolla or Civic or ANYTHING is better than buying brand new, and taking care of it YOUR WAY, THE PROPER WAY, from day 1.
    I'm enjoying having money in my pocket at the end of the month, and not worrying about gas hitting $2/liter again.
    We all wonder how long our cars are going to last, and I'm reminded of that Mirage that's gone over 400,000.
    There's no reason in the world we can't all achieve that, as long as we take proper care of it.
    And, once my 2022 needs replacing, hopefully this EV nonsense will be a distant memory, and all new cars will run on hydrogen.
    Wow, I totally agree with all of that, and those are my own exact thoughts

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2023 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.1 mpg (US) ... 18.7 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 52.9 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BigMW For This Useful Post:

Christopher_B (01-20-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BigMW View Post
    Wow, I totally agree with all of that, and those are my own exact thoughts
    I wish I could buy a new car.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,430 Times in 1,036 Posts
    As for selling it privately, that has it's own drawbacks, the hassle and the fact that you have no car until you pick up another one which may or may not be easy to do.
    ylekot - If / when you have a car paid for, drive it for a few months and see what you think about driving a car with no payment. If you don't love it even more, and still want a different car, find the car you want and buy it. Then drop the insurance on the previous one (or at least drop it to bare minimum) and put it up for sale. It costs little to hold on to it while it is for sale. Then when someone lowballs you, you can take it if you want to, or tell them to pound sand. When you do sell it, be disciplined what you do with the money. I haven't had a car payment in over 10 years, maybe about 15. I've purchased several cars over the past 15 years.

Be patient, it is tougher when one is young. But making sound financial movements, leads to some relief & flexibility.

Oh and I agree, there's nothing wrong with buying a new car, as long as you plan to keep it long term. My Dodge truck was rather expensive when I bought it. But what has it cost me per year, over 23 years? Not much. I got lucky, it is now a rather niche truck and is still in primo condition. I could probably sell it for $20k. My son says even more, but I don't plan on selling it so I don't care.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    ylekot - If / when you have a car paid for, drive it for a few months and see what you think about driving a car with no payment. If you don't love it even more, and still want a different car, find the car you want and buy it. Then drop the insurance on the previous one (or at least drop it to bare minimum) and put it up for sale. It costs little to hold on to it while it is for sale. Then when someone lowballs you, you can take it if you want to, or tell them to pound sand. When you do sell it, be disciplined what you do with the money. I haven't had a car payment in over 10 years, maybe about 15. I've purchased several cars over the past 15 years.

Be patient, it is tougher when one is young. But making sound financial movements, leads to some relief & flexibility.

Oh and I agree, there's nothing wrong with buying a new car, as long as you plan to keep it long term. My Dodge truck was rather expensive when I bought it. But what has it cost me per year, over 23 years? Not much. I got lucky, it is now a rather niche truck and is still in primo condition. I could probably sell it for $20k. My son says even more, but I don't plan on selling it so I don't care.
    I cannot swing buying another car outright.

I wish I could buy a new car.
    I can and I won't....at least not right meow.

I have some of the same complaints as you. Not the most comfortable, gets blown around in strong winds, you're always on the losing end of any accident, and all the other little low power car problems. But they're cheap to own and reliable. Can't have everything.

I drove 2 brand new Mirages recently partially along the same roads that I commute on and found the new cars handle so much better than mine(with 300,000kms). The ones I drove also have a little adjustable armrest on the driver's seat that I found useful enough.

I'm considering dumping some money into my turd to try and make it more bearable to get me through a few more years. But I might just leave it alone and either keep driving it as is or just get something else and keep the Mirage for the kids to destroy when they start driving.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,430 Times in 1,036 Posts
    I cannot swing buying another car outright.
    Not if you're currently making payments on a car, I understand that.

Fummins - You are completely logical. I'm not clever enough to say that comically.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)