Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How long do you plan to keep your Mirage and why?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ylekot View Post
    I wish I could buy a new car.
    Unless things change drastically, I don't see myself ever buying a new vehicle again. Neither of my grandparents ever owned a new car, & I don't think any less of them.

Vehicles are money pits, not investments. Unless a new vehicle is highly discounted, I would rather let someone else eat the initial depreciation. That's why brand new Mirages selling for $7,500-9,500 caught my attention, & I have one in my driveway. I wouldn't pay big money for a Mirage, but I really like my highly discounted one! That made it affordable, reliable, and economical to own/drive.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

ylekot (01-19-2023)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I've promised my 2017 to my kid who will be driving in 3 short years. She vacillates between excited over driving to save the planet and walk. I suspect when she starts socializing a lot more, especially when she has a part time job she'll see the benefit of NOT standing in the open, in the pouring rain, waiting for transit. She'll understand should I sell the Mirage as long as I'm good to get her a car if she chooses to drive.

What I can't see so much is keeping my 2017 and fobbing something else on her if she drives. If I get a new 2023 and kick it she will end up with a fairly new car and can do what she chooses. I worry if she gets my 2017 and I buy it the Mirage will become a run down wreck as her nor her Mom have any car skills.

Jesus, my ex had a 115,000KM Grand Caravan, 2011, just getting broken in and she literally ran it into the ground. We had agreed when we split I'd get the Caravan for wholesale value when she was done with it but.....in the 7 years since I left the Caravan was never washed, not once, and I doubt the oil was ever changed. It started acting up, likely something minor and she believed the shop telling her it needed thousands. So she gave it to them. She is an idiot that way and it's one of the reasons I'm no longer with her. I can't abide people with zero common sense. OH, early on she decided to use our then 3 year old Caravan as a snowplow on semi frozen snow at our driveway entrance and ripped the lower bumper cover off from side to side. SMH. I was going to edit all this out but I guess it's cathartic to leave it. I'm sure we've all been very frustrated with others and vehicles.

Back on topic. If, big if, I can sell my 2017 for $11K and get the incentives for the 2023 ES 5 MT and get the blue one OTD for $15k or less I can drop $4K cash without too much hurt. House is paid, I don't spend a lot else, so. I debated driving the 2014 but I can likely sell it for $4-5K. It's primo except for a tiny spot on the LR I can easily fix. It's an SE 5 MT with every 2014 feature. Granted, selling the 2014 will be a spring venture but I guess I'm in no hurry. That leaves my Saturn. I took a really good objective look at it. Zero rust where Vues are affected which are the mounts on either side of the engine, the shock towers and lower front subframe. I know it should have brakes all around, new lines, they are 17 years old and an alternator. Probably a couple of days work for me in the later spring. Viola, a decent size vehicle that gets me 36-38 mpg on the hiway. Not bad for a giant clunk. It is really nice though.

I suppose if my kid really takes to driving I could give her the 2023 but I cringe a bit. She's likely to have some minor impacts and better on something older than a 3 yr. old car.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,388 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Wally - My wife treats her car like a mobile trash can. I prefer not to ride in it.

Why wouldn't you give your daughter the 14? And you just drive the 17 or 23 until hell freezes over? If I had a daughter that was 16-ish, I'd furnish her with a hooptie, once trashed she can procure her next ride. As for my sons, I buy them pre-scratched cars for $7,500. After that car, they can buy their own.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    I've promised my 2017 to my kid who will be driving in 3 short years. She vacillates between excited over driving to save the planet and walk. I suspect when she starts socializing a lot more, especially when she has a part time job she'll see the benefit of NOT standing in the open, in the pouring rain, waiting for transit. She'll understand should I sell the Mirage as long as I'm good to get her a car if she chooses to drive.

What I can't see so much is keeping my 2017 and fobbing something else on her if she drives. If I get a new 2023 and kick it she will end up with a fairly new car and can do what she chooses. I worry if she gets my 2017 and I buy it the Mirage will become a run down wreck as her nor her Mom have any car skills.

Jesus, my ex had a 115,000KM Grand Caravan, 2011, just getting broken in and she literally ran it into the ground. We had agreed when we split I'd get the Caravan for wholesale value when she was done with it but.....in the 7 years since I left the Caravan was never washed, not once, and I doubt the oil was ever changed. It started acting up, likely something minor and she believed the shop telling her it needed thousands. So she gave it to them. She is an idiot that way and it's one of the reasons I'm no longer with her. I can't abide people with zero common sense. OH, early on she decided to use our then 3 year old Caravan as a snowplow on semi frozen snow at our driveway entrance and ripped the lower bumper cover off from side to side. SMH. I was going to edit all this out but I guess it's cathartic to leave it. I'm sure we've all been very frustrated with others and vehicles.

Back on topic. If, big if, I can sell my 2017 for $11K and get the incentives for the 2023 ES 5 MT and get the blue one OTD for $15k or less I can drop $4K cash without too much hurt. House is paid, I don't spend a lot else, so. I debated driving the 2014 but I can likely sell it for $4-5K. It's primo except for a tiny spot on the LR I can easily fix. It's an SE 5 MT with every 2014 feature. Granted, selling the 2014 will be a spring venture but I guess I'm in no hurry. That leaves my Saturn. I took a really good objective look at it. Zero rust where Vues are affected which are the mounts on either side of the engine, the shock towers and lower front subframe. I know it should have brakes all around, new lines, they are 17 years old and an alternator. Probably a couple of days work for me in the later spring. Viola, a decent size vehicle that gets me 36-38 mpg on the hiway. Not bad for a giant clunk. It is really nice though.

I suppose if my kid really takes to driving I could give her the 2023 but I cringe a bit. She's likely to have some minor impacts and better on something older than a 3 yr. old car.
    Don't your cars have destination charges, documentation fees, taxes, & whatever? In the past, Fummins shared some extra costs that made the new car price seem a bit deceptive to me. What is the OTD price of a 2023 ES manual in gray titatium?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Don't your cars have destination charges, documentation fees, taxes, & whatever? In the past, Fummins shared some extra costs that made the new car price seem a bit deceptive to me. What is the OTD price of a 2023 ES manual in gray titatium?
    I just did a build and price and total cash price came to $17,430 in Alberta and $18,761 in Ontario(because better sales tax there). That's with no rebates applied. They seem to offer a bunch of $500 rebates(education, loyalty, military/first responder, and mobility?) that could take the price down up to $2000 but is anyone going to be eligible for more than 3 of those things?

I guess msrp is just a suggestion so the dealer could sell for less, but with the way the supply circus has been, I don't know if that'll happen anytime soon.

I would like to see a blue 23' 5speed Mirage. I'm not saying they don't exist but I don't think they exist.

Then there's the extra crap that I'd refuse when buying a new car. The cars work bought had an extra charge added on for 60 liters of fuel. I don't know if that was per car or each but either way, figured that was pretty greasy. If they give you a deal in one place they take it back somewhere else. I didn't see it myself so didn't get a chance to see what other goofy things they added on. Both cars came with floor mats(new and improved rubber backed carpet) and parcel shelves which are removed and thrown into a crate so they can collect dust until they get thrown in the garbage 10 years later.
    Last edited by Fummins; 01-18-2023 at 07:47 PM.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Mark (01-18-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,388 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I would like to see a blue 23' 5speed Mirage. I'm not saying they don't exist but I don't think they exist.
    I can tell you with confidence that the blue 3 pedal models of all years come with special add-on features that the factory will never admit to, that makes them into racecars. They're a beast to control when you plant your right foot. I swear!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Why wouldn't you give your daughter the 14? And you just drive the 17 or 23 until hell freezes over? If I had a daughter that was 16-ish, I'd furnish her with a hooptie, once trashed she can procure her next ride.
    I do like that idea. It's probably got another 60-100KM in it. I toyed with the idea of hopping it up as it owes me nothing and I could pour a lot of funds in and it's still a penny car. I guess if I got the kid AAA that would ease my fears about a no start 2am in a rougher area of town situation. I don't worry much about me being stranded, nobody is going to bother with me. Since she will learn to drive on the 14 she might become a big fan of it. I guess as well if I keep the 17/buy a 23 and die she will get either. It's a good idea though, let her have the 14.

Yes, we have all that garbage, our 5 MT ES is $14,299 MSRP. I qualify for 2 incentives, maybe 3 but I get at least $1000. One dealer is offering 3.29APR with $500 cash back regardless of incentives so I'm at $12,799. Now add $1325 delivery, $100 Air tax, 13% sales tax and we are $16,060. That's paying sticker. I've never paid sticker in my life. If I get the 3rd incentive we are at $15,060. I'm sure I can harangue another $500 out of them or get $500 in fairly priced services added. So, just about $15k OTD. Seeing that gives me an incentive to do the deal. Everything has gone price crazy so paying $3.4K more than I paid in 2017 for another new car seems pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post

I guess msrp is just a suggestion so the dealer could sell for less, but with the way the supply circus has been, I don't know if that'll happen anytime soon.

Here's the dealer with the blue 5 MT and Red and Grey

https://www.barriemitsubishi.ca/new/Mirage.html

ETA: Blue is gone, was there yesterday. Must have sold, Red is still pretty.
    Last edited by Wallythacker; 01-18-2023 at 09:25 PM.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Here's the dealer with the blue 5 MT and Red and Grey

https://www.barriemitsubishi.ca/new/Mirage.html

ETA: Blue is gone, was there yesterday. Must have sold, Red is still pretty.
    I don't see a red ES manual verified by an actual pic of the car, but I may have missed it?

I think your options are gray or white for a new manual. I would have to see an actual car pic to think otherwise.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I don't see a red ES manual verified by an actual pic of the car, but I may have missed it?

I think your options are gray or white for a new manual. I would have to see an actual car pic to think otherwise.
    Weird, the 2nd car down in the list is indicated as red, it's not an actual pic but our dealers must have the car ON THE LOT to say it's for sale.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Weird, the 2nd car down in the list is indicated as red, it's not an actual pic but our dealers must have the car ON THE LOT to say it's for sale.
    Lots of dealers have cars on their lots & have the transmissions listed incorrectly. I honestly don't believe there are 2023 Mirage manuals in Canada in any other color other than gray or white.