Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: How long do you plan to keep your Mirage and why?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm keeping my Mirage till the CVT bursts into flames or I get murdered by an EV that weighs 7,000 pounds. If heavy EVs actually catch on years from now I'll want to update the whole safety situation and retire it to project car status. I don't think I'd sell it. And I sure as heck wouldn't junk it, I'd probably sell the parts and keep the engine for a garage project of some sort.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,389 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess_Bishi View Post
    ...if she ends up thinking about it a lot and actively checking the tach
    Not a likely scenario.

It's also easy to park. Good teenager car imo.
    True, and a good anyone car.

she spends x amount of time learning maintenance with you or watching videos with you about how cars work and how to not destroy them.
    Not likely gonna happen.

Have her do an oil change, check the air filter, take the airbox off to see the top of the engine, jack it up and shake the wheels to check ball joints and tie rods, pluck the belt to make sure it is tight. Get her an $8 set of sockets with a ratchet from Harbor Freight to put by the spare tire and color the 10 mm one.
    A waste of time.

A bit of a personal story, I knew a girl right after high school who didn't get a strut fixed when it went bad. She didn't see a sign saying a 90 degree curve was coming up and we launched off the banked curve going about 35-40 mph. When the car landed I got a compression fracture in my spine because I was on the side with the bad strut.
    The strut was irrelevant.

Women need to know WHY things have to get repaired and nobody bothers to really explain things to us.
    First of all, I don't believe that women are NOT intelligent enough to NOT know WHY things have to get repaired. That's a compliment, I think women are plenty intelligent enough. However, I think the general population of women simply want nothing to do with things that have to get repaired. And, I don't think poorly of them for that. Women are interested in what they're interested, and the same goes for men. My opinions are based on the general population of women, and the general population of men, and does not include those who fall outside the norms. Nor do I have any issue with those that fall outside the norms.

All I've ever been told by people is basically "Needs a new x. Trust me bro."
    I believe ALL of that. ALL...

Another story: I once rode with a girl in high school that didn't know how to use defrost to get fog off her windshield by changing the blend door setting. The guy in the passenger seat was in his early 20s and didn't know either. I was kind of an a-hole about it but I imagine they both know now.
    I have my doubts they know now. But I have doubts about other things too.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I'm keeping my Mirage till the CVT bursts into flames or I get murdered by an EV that weighs 7,000 pounds. If heavy EVs actually catch on years from now I'll want to update the whole safety situation and retire it to project car status. I don't think I'd sell it. And I sure as heck wouldn't junk it, I'd probably sell the parts and keep the engine for a garage project of some sort.
    My daughter has been helping me starting last summer. We have only done smaller jobs like bulbs. wiper blades, oil and filters and it's great, I can tell her where a part belongs, she figures out online or in the manual how to install it. She also sets up some of our 3d printers and runs jobs.

I can see our Mirages becoming long term tinkering cars for us. They're great, fun little cars all around. She's a pretty good driver already. That reminds me to turn off the HSA so she'll learn properly how to start on a hill. Oh, and she already has a 26" tool chest with 7 drawer lower cab and a 3 drawer middle cab. With time, and some guidance, she'll buy what she figures she needs.

As to the crowd not knowing about the air controls. I'm not surprised nor disappointed in the young adults. Sounds like nobody bothered to show them.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    My daughter has been helping me starting last summer. We have only done smaller jobs like bulbs. wiper blades, oil and filters and it's great, I can tell her where a part belongs, she figures out online or in the manual how to install it. She also sets up some of our 3d printers and runs jobs.

I can see our Mirages becoming long term tinkering cars for us. They're great, fun little cars all around. She's a pretty good driver already. That reminds me to turn off the HSA so she'll learn properly how to start on a hill. Oh, and she already has a 26" tool chest with 7 drawer lower cab and a 3 drawer middle cab. With time, and some guidance, she'll buy what she figures she needs.

As to the crowd not knowing about the air controls. I'm not surprised nor disappointed in the young adults. Sounds like nobody bothered to show them.
    How do you turn off HSA?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    How do you turn off HSA?
    Unless I'm dreaming I turned it off/it turned off sometime in late 2019. As I spent most of the fall in and out of a coma I don't remember the details.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Unless I'm dreaming I turned it off/it turned off sometime in late 2019. As I spent most of the fall in and out of a coma I don't remember the details.
    If you figure it out, please share. Thanks!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    So I'm posting here because I can? What I have to say is not the topic of the thread,

Some retard or retards tried to steal my aluminum utility trailer with an AL ramp, tongue jack and tool box. How do I know this? Well, the back end on the drivers side is now missing the entire red lens cover, It haven't moved nor hit my trailer since parking it for the winter. If these wieners had stopped to look at the .6" chain and the solid steel/brass locks with 12mm shackle they should have just walked away. But no, big wise thieves tried anyhow and did some damage when they could not steal it. I'm now anticipating a powered hand tool attack, like a portable grinder. Good luck with that, my cameras all have audio and motion detect. I'll be alerted to someone on the property at 110DB. All because they don't want a legit job. My only regret is I can't treat them as lead taste testers. Something about the law whatdoIknow?

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Haha same. Especially with current car market and banning ICE cars. I would probably just slap a 4G63T in if my powertrain goes bye-bye.
    Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I'd love convert my Mirage into an AWD with a turbo. get 4 wheel traction with 350bhp in a 2000lb car.
    Might not beat a Hellcat or Telsa but I personally don't think much out there could whip it.

So I'm posting here because I can? What I have to say is not the topic of the thread,

Some retard or retards tried to steal my aluminum utility trailer with an AL ramp, tongue jack and tool box. How do I know this? Well, the back end on the drivers side is now missing the entire red lens cover, It haven't moved nor hit my trailer since parking it for the winter. If these wieners had stopped to look at the .6" chain and the solid steel/brass locks with 12mm shackle they should have just walked away. But no, big wise thieves tried anyhow and did some damage when they could not steal it. I'm now anticipating a powered hand tool attack, like a portable grinder. Good luck with that, my cameras all have audio and motion detect. I'll be alerted to someone on the property at 110DB. All because they don't want a legit job. My only regret is I can't treat them as lead taste testers. Something about the law whatdoIknow?
    Bear trap...?
    I find cameras rarely work when you want them to. Though weeks ago I just happened to wake up to an alert at work and got to spook off a would-be cat theif.
    I try not to leave things in plain sight for potential theives to try and steal. I feel I live in a low-crime neighborhood but I'm sure if I left my side by side out in plain sight it would be re-homed eventually.

Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)