Thread: Loose/floating steering after wheel bearing replacement

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Loose/floating steering after wheel bearing replacement

First post to the group!

So I had 2 wheel bearings replaced about 2 weeks ago (front left, rear right), and since then I've noticed that the car feels more floaty than before, particularly in the front. I know the lack of a rear sway bar induces a lot of body roll, but I've never felt the car be floaty in the front. I'm wondering if it's just a loose steering rack, or if something more devious is going on (bad tie-rod, bearing not installed properly).

On a semi-related note, the ABS light, along with the traction control light came on when I started the car and stayed on for a minute while I drove....Then it turned off. Took my OBDII reader, which could also read ABS, and no codes were available. I wonder if it has to do with just a loose connection from the bearing replacements or something else.

Anyone else had this happen?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Tire pressures looking ok?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Blargsphemy View Post
    First post to the group!

So I had 2 wheel bearings replaced about 2 weeks ago (front left, rear right), and since then I've noticed that the car feels more floaty than before, particularly in the front. I know the lack of a rear sway bar induces a lot of body roll, but I've never felt the car be floaty in the front. I'm wondering if it's just a loose steering rack, or if something more devious is going on (bad tie-rod, bearing not installed properly).

On a semi-related note, the ABS light, along with the traction control light came on when I started the car and stayed on for a minute while I drove....Then it turned off. Took my OBDII reader, which could also read ABS, and no codes were available. I wonder if it has to do with just a loose connection from the bearing replacements or something else.

Only when I was first using a splitter on my port to run a Veespeak bluetooth unit and a scanguage in parallel. It happened all the time. For some reason it calmed down and it's been 3 years since.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by Blargsphemy View Post
    First post to the group!

As for floaty steering, I dunno. I guess you could make sure nothing was left loose.

It happens. We had a transmisson in a Spark replaced by a Dealership(under warranty) and they effed up big time.

Shortly after picking the car up from from the dealer the balljoint popped out of the lower control arm while pulling into a parking lot so the wheel got kicked back into the fender and wouldn't move(obviously). Had it towed back to the dealer, they "fixed it". They replaced outer cv boot and I don't remember if they replaced the ball joint but they should have, same with the spindle as it was wallered out. Then we picked the car up a second time. It seemed ok then. Til it came to me for an oil change and the driver complained about it pulling to one side. I took it for a short drive, when you hit the gas it pulled one way, hit the brake and it darted the other way. I lift it up and found the cv boot that the dealer just replace after the balljoint fiasco was leaking grease(not related to pulling problem), and on the other side, the outer tie rod was flopping around in the spindle. The fact that the nut was the locking type saved the day. The dealer didn't tighten it down, it looked like they couldn't get it to snug up so instead of putting some force on it to stop the joint from spinning they just backed the nut off and installed a washer to take up some of the slack then kicked it out the door. They ended up installing a new spindle and tie rod end and cv axle(on the side that they previously fixed).

As for the abs and trac lights, most of our work Mirages had would throw communication error codes when we tried using some obdII devices. They caused all sorts of random drivability issues, throwing those lights and sometimes causing the throttle to not work at less-than-ideal times. Some things work fine in these cars and some do not. You won't know until you car is acting up as it often does it randomly with no warning.

One other common issue with the abs/trac lights coming on is burnt out brake lights. Usually when both are burnt out. And you'll often be able to get a stop light switch code(if you have a capable scan tool).
    I had a car come in the other day with the brake light switch acting up and causing the car to slow down(these cars will cut engine power if you drive around pushing the brake and gas pedal at the same time(at least the cvt models do this). Could be a sticky brake switch or just a hair out of adjustment(easy to adjust). Could be anything, but those are my guesses if you have nothing to go on.
    You didn't really say what year your car is so some of what I mentioned doesn't apply to some years.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

BigMW (01-19-2023),CROSSBOLT (01-19-2023)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    As for floaty steering, I dunno. I guess you could make sure nothing was left loose.

It happens. We had a transmisson in a Spark replaced by a Dealership(under warranty) and they effed up big time.

Shortly after picking the car up from from the dealer the balljoint popped out of the lower control arm while pulling into a parking lot so the wheel got kicked back into the fender and wouldn't move(obviously). Had it towed back to the dealer, they "fixed it". They replaced outer cv boot and I don't remember if they replaced the ball joint but they should have, same with the spindle as it was wallered out. Then we picked the car up a second time. It seemed ok then. Til it came to me for an oil change and the driver complained about it pulling to one side. I took it for a short drive, when you hit the gas it pulled one way, hit the brake and it darted the other way. I lift it up and found the cv boot that the dealer just replace after the balljoint fiasco was leaking grease(not related to pulling problem), and on the other side, the outer tie rod was flopping around in the spindle. The fact that the nut was the locking type saved the day. The dealer didn't tighten it down, it looked like they couldn't get it to snug up so instead of putting some force on it to stop the joint from spinning they just backed the nut off and installed a washer to take up some of the slack then kicked it out the door. They ended up installing a new spindle and tie rod end and cv axle(on the side that they previously fixed).

As for the abs and trac lights, most of our work Mirages had would throw communication error codes when we tried using some obdII devices. They caused all sorts of random drivability issues, throwing those lights and sometimes causing the throttle to not work at less-than-ideal times. Some things work fine in these cars and some do not. You won't know until you car is acting up as it often does it randomly with no warning.

One other common issue with the abs/trac lights coming on is burnt out brake lights. Usually when both are burnt out. And you'll often be able to get a stop light switch code(if you have a capable scan tool).
    I had a car come in the other day with the brake light switch acting up and causing the car to slow down(these cars will cut engine power if you drive around pushing the brake and gas pedal at the same time(at least the cvt models do this). Could be a sticky brake switch or just a hair out of adjustment(easy to adjust). Could be anything, but those are my guesses if you have nothing to go on.
    You didn't really say what year your car is so some of what I mentioned doesn't apply to some years.
    Error codes were happening when you were using obd II devices - was one of them scan guage II? I was hoping to get one, but if it is messing things up, I will pass

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2023 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.9 mpg (US) ... 18.7 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.8 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by BigMW View Post
    Error codes were happening when you were using obd II devices - was one of them scan guage II? I was hoping to get one, but if it is messing things up, I will pass
    No it was a gps tracking device. I'm pretty sure that the scan gauge is used by lots of folks on the forum with no problems.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

BigMW (01-20-2023)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BigMW View Post
    I've had a scan gage II in my car since it was new & so far no problem. I think you'll be OK with the scan gage...

I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to klroger For This Useful Post:

BigMW (01-20-2023)