Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My old Dodge Ram with Cummins diesel...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 1,006 Posts

My old Dodge Ram with Cummins diesel...

I was sort of rubbing it in my buddy's face. He had just bought a brand new $65k (base price plus all the exciting fees and taxes) Chevy Silverado with a 5.3L, and told me he was getting 10 to 11 mpg.

I was kind of floored why anyone would do such a thing, so I made and sent him this quick video (by text). Decided I'd go ahead and throw it up on youtube.

No muffler, no cat, no resonator. A straight 5 inch pipe from the downpipe off the turbo back. My 23 year old 2000 Dodge Ram, I bought it in October 1999. 196,000 miles. Runs GREAT.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    I was sort of rubbing it in my buddy's face. He had just bought a brand new $65k (base price plus all the exciting fees and taxes) Chevy Silverado with a 5.3L, and told me he was getting 10 to 11 mpg.

I was kind of floored why anyone would do such a thing, so I made and sent him this quick video (by text). Decided I'd go ahead and throw it up on youtube.

No muffler, no cat, no resonator. A straight 5 inch pipe from the downpipe off the turbo back. My 23 year old 2000 Dodge Ram, I bought it in October 1999. 196,000 miles. Runs GREAT.
    Nice friend you are!

I don't envy anyone paying $65,000+ for any vehicle. Even if I was wealthy, I don't see myself doing that. That was about the price of my first house.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Nice friend you are!

I don't envy anyone paying $65,000+ for any vehicle. Even if I was wealthy, I don't see myself doing that. That was about the price of my first house.
    It fries my mind people will drop $65k on a box with wheels. Jeep up here is "blowing out" last year's junk for $60K, that's the Jeep thing, the other bigger things Jeep sells were $85k + As a young lad Jeep were the rustiest POS on the road until the Toyota truck took that title, then the Hyundai Pony claimed the crown. Then Honda were the rust buckets to beat. It's been a fun ride.

I forgot to hit post, 7, your truck looks new. Damn, wish we had no salt.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I drove the big blue Ram today. When I went out to lunch, I was taking this shortcut around the back side of a shopping mall. It routes around an idiotic intersection that takes 2 or 3 cycles to turn left in. Anywho,

As I'm easing around the back side of this mall, a chorus line of 4 "yutes" were walking at me, directly in the middle of the driveway around the back of the mall. I'm sure they heard me coming, but were just being youths. They weren't antagonizing me, and I wasn't aggravated. They were just doing what they do. When we saw each other, they parted 2 x 2 and slowly eased out of the middle of the road to let me pass. Only to be slightly annoying, they didn't move more quickly. I didn't mind, I was a youth once. I think it was 3 girls and a boy. One of the girls was giving me a thumbs up (I think it was). But not a "your truck is cool" thumbs up. It was more like, "give me a ride" thumbs up. However it was obvious she didn't want a ride, she was walking, smiling, having a good time with her friends. The thumbs up was just part of the fun they were having.

As I past them by, right when she was immediately by my tailpipe, I WHACKED the throttle hard. She screamed LOUD. But then they all laughed. They were being very slightly annoying just to have a bit of fun (I don't mind), and I was having fun back at them.

We all had fun, I rolled on, went on my way. Nice truck.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Damn coal rolling diesel trucks...
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I will still never ever ever understand why Dodge shot themselves in the foot by dropping the full crew cab in '85. They would have OWNED the whole truck market if you could have bought a 1st or 2nd gen CTD in a crew cab. Just blatant stupidity.
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Basic For This Useful Post:

Fummins (06-01-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Basic View Post
    I will still never ever ever understand why Dodge shot themselves in the foot by dropping the full crew cab in '85. They would have OWNED the whole truck market if you could have bought a 1st or 2nd gen CTD in a crew cab. Just blatant stupidity.
    Yes! That's why I ended up with my Fummins(then sold it...)! The back seat in my 02 Dodge was too small, the newer ones(2003-2009) weren't much larger and I couldn't afford a 2010+ style where they finally started making a normal sized crewcab with a long box...I didn't want a short box so a megacab was never an option.

What about the ramcharger? Have you seen the Mexico version they made?
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I agree about the stupidity of dropping the crew cab in 85. My argument about my quad cab regarding that it is not big enough is ... not big enough for what? I've never needed bigger. The few times I've had people back there, yeah, it would have been more luxurious with more space. But it got the job done with little complaint.

I used my truck as a commuter car for a while and couldn't fit 2 rear facing car seats in the back. I took it on a 1200mile trips relatively often, sometimes with kids. The back seat is fine for little people or kids just big enough to not need car seats on long trips but otherwise it sucks. Now we have 3 kids a medium sized dog and a cat(don't ask) all crammed in my truck when we go glamping.

A grown up sized cab would nice for me and probably some others. Wait til you see the what I want to bring camping in July lol
    Mirage videos:

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I will admit... I was a crew cab fan before it was cool... my dad had an '85 F-350 Crew Cab new and there wasn't anyone else we went to school with that had one, nor was there any of our tractor pulling buddies that had one yet... the only folks that had adopted them at that point were the horse folks... and they were few and far between...

It really didn't take hold until the 99+ Super Duty Fords came in and were like, hey.... did you know you can get a crew cab in any configuration you ever desired??? and boom... everybody and their mother now wanted a full size crew cab as their daily...

Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)