Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rod knock after oil change....no outright signs of what caused it.

Country
    Czech Republic
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Could you be slightly more specific?
    It's a mild clacking that speeds up when I speed up. It sounds terrible. The engine idles normally and doesn't sound rough like that on start up. But Im assuming the more I use it, the more itll eventually end up like what you posted. I will attempt to record a video of the noise.

スペーススター

Supēsusutā

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    I feel like you are being jerked around by both the oil change place (who may not have done anything wrong, however) & the dealership.

"I took it immediately to a licensed official mitsubishi dealership to have it be diagnosed and the first thing I was told by two mechanics upon inspection was that my oil was potentially overfilled. Long story short, they did a 27 point inspection, drained the oil 2 times and replaced filters, and the sound is still there."

"Potentially overfilled" - was it overfilled or not? Anyone capable of pulling a dipstick from the engine would know the answer to that. Just that statement alone seems shady.

"drained the oil 2 times and replaced filters" - That statement makes no sense to me at all. What does drain the oil 2 times mean? Are they saying they did two more oil/filter changes to try to correct the problem? That makes no sense at all.

I feel like you are getting jerked around a bit. Since the dealership didn't do the oil change, they don't feel liable. But you really don't know if the oil change was the root of the problem either. It sounds like a lot of speculation that just leaves you hanging.

If I don't trust the doctor that I see for something, I would get a 2nd opinion from another. I would try to visit another Mitsubishi dealership & get a 2nd opinion asap, or I would try to find a good independent mechanic's shop & get their opinion.

In the meantime, I wouldn't hesitate to drive the car. Check your oil frequently to see if it is burning oil now. If not, I wouldn't sweat using it until you figure out more.

If it was something majorly done wrong, your engine would be locked up & done for completely. I saw a brand new Chevy S10 Trailblazer lose its oil filter after its very first oil change at a quick lube place. They cranked the oil filter on too tight, stripped the threads, and it fell off. When that oil filter fell off, the vehicle engine died within a mile or two. It was very apparent. Oil filter & oil on the road, & a vehicle with an engine locked up. They do not last long without oil. The brand new engine was complete toast, and the quick lube's insurance paid to have a new engine installed in the vehicle.
    Last edited by Mark; 01-19-2023 at 06:55 PM.

Country
    Czech Republic
    Thanks
    Thanks to everyone for all your comments, they've really helped me through this rough time. I will continue to check in and if anyone else has any advice, i'm all eyes/ears. I will continue to monitor the oil levels and this issue.
    Last edited by supesusuta; 01-20-2023 at 05:26 AM.
    スペーススター

Supēsusutā

Country
    Czech Republic
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    Do you mind telling us what you paid? If your car still runs even with noise and such crazy low miles there are people out there, like me, that would buy your car in a minute and I'd drive it till it blew up and then drop in my $500 used engine.
    --------------
    Last edited by supesusuta; 01-20-2023 at 05:26 AM.
    スペーススター

Supēsusutā

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    What's your budget for a replacement engine if necessary? Cheaper than buying another car. I know of a perfectly functional 2015 Mirage that's in LA that you could pick up for $1500.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    What's your budget for a replacement engine if necessary? Cheaper than buying another car. I know of a perfectly functional 2015 Mirage that's in LA that you could pick up for $1500.
    I'd be interested in the LA Mirage if the OP isn't, but the OP has some difficult choice to make, I wish them well and we're here to answer questions and offer advice.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,395 Times in 1,012 Posts
    supesusuta - I've been reading the thread and I have nothing to add that these guys haven't covered already. I think you're in a tough spot. But not an impossible one. It is a spot that would benefit from some strategical thinking and a lot of patience.

There's many ways to skin a cat, but here's one way to skin this situation. But would require planning, patience and time.

You could buy that other 2015 that's been mentioned in here. Drive it a bit, see if the engine is solid. Then find a place that is adequate to exchange the engines. Then get what you can from the 2015 donor car with the bad engine. You might be out very little. And your car would probably be good to go for years. But like I said, many ways to skin this cat.

I personally recommend you just put the thought of it being the oil change places fault behind you. Sounds like they actually are guilt free in this situation. If they screwed up, I'm betting they would fess up. I've heard of several instances where they did screw up, and in those situations, they quickly bit the bullet, took responsibility and covered the issue like they should have.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    I'd be interested in the LA Mirage if the OP isn't, but the OP has some difficult choice to make, I wish them well and we're here to answer questions and offer advice.
    It's actually my Mirage. I bought it new in 2015 and my son has been driving it now for 3+ years and just bought a used Lexus CT200h. The Mirage has about 120,000 miles / 193,000 km on the clock. Runs fine, has a decent set of Nexen tires on it. CVT seems to be ok but I know it's way overdue for a filter / oil change in the transmission because kids these days!! I think it would be perfectly fine to drive across the US but the CVT would be the first thing I would maintain. The rear bumper is a little bumped out of place due to him backing into something but nothing is broken. Has had regular oil changes so at least that got done I know on a regular basis.
    Last edited by inuvik; 01-19-2023 at 09:38 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I just watched that video posted. If that's rod knock my 2017 with 54.000 miles has it as well. I thought it was valve clatter. ugh

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    I am not understanding this? Not the first time I've been clueless about something, however.

Are you selling your 2015 Mirage for $1,500?