Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rod knock after oil change....no outright signs of what caused it.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Country
    Czech Republic
    Thanks

Rod knock after oil change....no outright signs of what caused it.

Thread can be deleted, thanks for input.
    Last edited by supesusuta; 01-20-2023 at 05:24 AM.
    スペーススター

Supēsusutā

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Here's my take. You are not finished with Mitsubishi. There were a fair number of 2014 cars produced with piston slap. Since the Mirage engine is noisy to begin with a fair number of people were not aware the engine was defective. My 2014 had one of these engines. My only clue was the fact my oil level kept dropping even though there were no leaks and zero signs of oil being burned. It was only after my 3rd oil change I knew something was seriously wrong. I did not know of the forum here nor the engine issues. My car was totaled in a wreck so the engine was never addressed.

I used to work in the car manufacturing industry for Ford and saw them use year old, sometimes older, components in new build cars simply because they had a mountain of them and throwing them away was stupid.

Depending on when your Mirage was built, you can look up the date online, you may have a 2014 engine. Now, no matter what Mits says they know exactly, within a couple of serial numbers, which engines were defective. They also know with 100% certainty which cars got those engines. If you indeed got a dud engine, even a your car's age Mitsubishi is 100% responsible to fix it.

Keep digging, don't give up hope.

NB. You've given me hope there are more Mirages out there with very low miles. One sold not far from me, with 11,000Km or 6500miles. I would dearly love to find one of those cars.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Czech Republic
    Thanks
    I appreciate the feedback/advice. I don't think Mitsubishi can help me here because I purchased the car through Vroom, which was as nightmare in itself. Also, low oil level was not addressed to me at any point of servicing, especially after this last one. Oil levels were in fact fine. But what I'm getting from your reply is, I am royally screwed
    スペーススター

Supēsusutā

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by supesusuta View Post
    I appreciate the feedback/advice. I don't think Mitsubishi can help me here because I purchased the car through Vroom, which was as nightmare in itself. Also, low oil level was not addressed to me at any point of servicing, especially after this last one. Oil levels were in fact fine. But what I'm getting from your reply is, I am royally screwed
    Well, no, that wasn't my intent. If you have a bad engine from the factory the passage of time, where you bought it, what service it has had all mostly immaterial. Mitsubishi sent out cars with defective engines and have to make them good in some fashion. They just can't walk away from it. America granted is not like the EU where something not fit for service, like a car with a defective engine, essentially has a lifetime warranty until the problem is resolved but the FTC exists to try and keep producers mostly fair to the consumer.

Unless you are Ford and bury dual clutch problems so far down the rabbit hole it takes multiple class action suits in the billions. But that's the same outfit that made the Blowtorch, AKA the Pinto in the 70's.

Don't give up.

ETA: The only scenario I see where you are SOL is if Mitsubishi can demonstrate with almost certainty your engine is outside the range of defective engines they made, well, that's the end of their involvement.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    I don't blame you for being bummed. If you were the first owner, the 10-year/100,000 mile powertrain warranty may cover it. The car was past the 5-year/60,000 miles bumper-to-bumper warranty before you even purchased it. Your situation is a bit unique, because you bought a very slightly used 2015 Mirage with 4,600 miles on it in 2021 (that was beyond its bumper-to-bumper warranty that would have transferred to a 2nd owner).

Is it possible your Mirage is OK after the issue was resolved?

Apparently, you still hear the "clank" at lower speeds?

There is a lesson in all this for anyone reading this. Regardless of who does your oil changes, check your oil level immediately after the service is done.

3 quarts of oil when doing an oil change is probably not the norm for most vehicles today. 3.6 quarts for my former 1990 Ford Festiva (4-cylinder/1.3L engine) is the closest vehicle I have ever owned, but that's a vehicle from over 30 years ago!

Country
    Czech Republic
    Thanks
    The oil levels were fine after it was done. That is what is most frustrating. I will look into this. I am not the first owner but second owner. In this case, who would I even contact? Mitsubishi Corporate?
    スペーススター

Supēsusutā

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Did 2015 models come with a 10 year powertrain warranty? Is the warranty transferable? If yes to both, you are still covered

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2023 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.9 mpg (US) ... 18.7 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Czech Republic
    Thanks
    I will look into this. Where should I start? I appreciate your comments.
    スペーススター

Supēsusutā

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by supesusuta View Post
    I will look into this. Where should I start? I appreciate your comments.
    Since you are in the USA, one of our American friends should answer this

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2023 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.9 mpg (US) ... 18.7 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigMW View Post
    Did 2015 models come with a 10 year powertrain warranty? Is the warranty transferable? If yes to both, you are still covered
    In the States, the Mirage would come with a 5-year/60,000 mile bumper-to-bumper warranty, 10-year/100,000 mile powertrain warranty, and 5-year/unlimited mile roadside assistance.

Only the 1st warranty transfers to a 2nd owner. His Mirage was 6 years old when he bought it used. Thus, I stated things as I did.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

BigMW (01-20-2023)