Thread: Had my first OOPS moment with my mirage, Engaged L/Low range at 70mph

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Cool Had my first OOPS moment with my mirage, Engaged L/Low range at 70mph

Was cruising on the highway between 70-75mph playing with Ds mode a bit and accidentally bumped it into L/Low gear when i hit a firm dip on the freeway, Pop'd it back into drive real fast but i did feel it engage low, thankfully it allowed slip and didn't over rev the engine, Kind of worried about my CVT now though, it seems perfectly ok but im sure it wasn't happy about low range at 70mph lol, Also very surprised the computer didn't lock out low gear/range at that speed

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2022 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 45.5 mpg (US) ... 19.4 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.7 mpg (Imp)

Business Up Front Johnny Mullet's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It should be OK. I assume at a certain speed it would not allow that range, but don't quote me on that.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I have inadvertenly shifted my 2 speed powerglide transmission in my old Chev Impala into L at 75mph more than once with no ill effects.

My buddy shifted his 66 Pontiac Laurentian Convertible (it was mint in 74) into R at 70 MPH! That killed his tranny which was also a 2 speed powerglide funny enough. We had to push that pig up small hills to get it home before Chuck's dad came home and killed him.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I've intentionally shifted into B at 65mph without issue, im sure the transmission computer takes into account speed and rpm when deciding what cvt ratio to select. B is not a fixed ratio. Shifting into B mode is how some radar cruise control systems slow down before engaging the mechanical brakes to prevent brake fade.
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    At 90 kms an hour, I downshifted from 5th to 2nd gear by accident; my Mirage made a huge vroom sound, and the RPM needle shot up to max, but then I immediately realized my mistake. Got it into the right gear, and my tranny has been really good and perfectly ok for 8 years after.

I think mohammad is right that computerized transmissions must take into account that kind of thing.

I remember reading in my Mirage's owner's manual that you can be in 3rd gear safely at over 100 km's an hour. Not sure why you would want to be though, but sometimes I have my car in 3rd gear while merging onto the freeway to get the task done asap. Anyways hope your car is good!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks all for the replies im fairly certain she's ok haha, Mitsubishi did a good job making these cars fairly idiot proof lol.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2022 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 45.5 mpg (US) ... 19.4 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMPG View Post
    Thanks all for the replies im fairly certain she's ok haha, Mitsubishi did a good job making these cars fairly idiot proof lol.
    Its a Mercedes engine (also used in the smart car) with a nissan transmission.

please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos