Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 19 Manual Transmission Reverse Whine

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Question 19 Manual Transmission Reverse Whine

Hello All,

I am a new member to the forum and also a new owner of a 2019 Mitsubishi mirage. Is reverse whine on the 5speed manual transmission normal? I have read that some economy cars use straight cut gears for their reverse gear to save on money, but I have not came across anything specific to the mirage.

Thanks - 195spd

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 195spd View Post
    Hello All,

I am a new member to the forum and also a new owner of a 2019 Mitsubishi mirage. Is reverse whine on the 5speed manual transmission normal? I have read that some economy cars use straight cut gears for their reverse gear to save on money, but I have not came across anything specific to the mirage.

Thanks - 195spd
    Yes, it's normal & I think it's common for most manuals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CcOR1gcU1s

You own my favorite Mirage of them all! 2019 ES manual - has factory cruise control with manual climate controls. It's the only year that happened!

Welcome to the forum!!!!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

195spd (01-31-2023),Fummins (01-22-2023)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Yes, it's normal & I think it's common for most manuals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CcOR1gcU1s

You own my favorite Mirage of them all! 2019 ES manual - has factory cruise control with manual climate controls. It's the only year that happened!

Welcome to the forum!!!!
    Thanks for the response, that video was very informative!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Normal noise. All manuals I've ever owned whine in reverse, Muncie M22 rock crusher was awful in my 396 Camaro. Ford top loader in my 429 Mustang whined like a, oh, forget it. Family forum.

Welcome!
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Not an engineer but I believe the revers gear is straight cut as compared to slanted. I believe straight gears are more durable(?) but slanted are quieter. I believe straight gears are used in the sequential gearboxes in racing which is partly why they sound so awesome.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    Not an engineer but I believe the revers gear is straight cut as compared to slanted. I believe straight gears are more durable(?) but slanted are quieter. I believe straight gears are used in the sequential gearboxes in racing which is partly why they sound so awesome.
    That's pretty much the case, or it was until modern racing gearboxes are things even I can comprehend,

As an example the dual clutch Ford automatic transmission is the weirdest beast used in passenger vehicles in many decades. It's total junk but if Ford could truly work out the bugs it would be evolutionary.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The wife's car is an audi TT with DCT and it's pretty flawless.

Some manufacturers (kia) still dont have the programming right (Seltos) but I'm hopeful they'll get there. Albeit just 6 gears, the TT shifts butter smooth and at times, the shift fart is kinda funny.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I've never owned/driven something with more than 6 gears/speeds motorbikes included and wonder how much real improvement there is in say, a 10 spd. over a 5? Ok, twice as may gears but was the power into a 5 spd. that mismatched they needed to double the gears? So why were there never any standards >6 gears?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Since I now own a Honda Passport with the ZF9, I can see the efficiency of having multiple gears. The idea is to keep the RPMs close to each other so its near the power/tq at all times.

However, it's not as efficient as a CVT - which after driving mom's CRV 1.5t I'm not against. I think a the trick to a good CVT experience is having enough power and tq so as not to 'feel' or hear the engine struggling. That said, I can't imagine driving the mirage with a CVT. I'm barely happy enough rowing my own and keeping it on the right RPMs.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Forward gears work by meshing the gears on the output shaft directly with the gears on the intermediate shaft. Reverse gear is accomplished by putting a small extra idler gear between the gears on the intermediate and output shafts which reverses the direction of the output shaft (idler gear marked as #15 in the diagram). This small gear spinning really fast is what you are hearing. Totally normal.