Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 19 Manual Transmission Reverse Whine

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,389 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    The idea is to keep the RPMs close to each other so its near the power/tq at all times.
    I have to say, that I think that's true, but needs a bit more explaining. A vehicle with more gears does or should accelerate more quickly than that said vehicle with the same engine and less gears. Because it should be able to keep the engine rpm higher up in the peak hp / torque rpm by not dropping as far out of the peak hp / torque rpm range as those with few gears.

While simultaneously, those with higher gears should show an improvement in mpg by being able to keep the rpm lower across a greater amount of cruise speeds, than those with fewer gears.

Ultimately, the more gears a transmission has, the closer it comes to being a CVT. And ultimately, a CVT is the ultimate transmission. However, I don't believe they are as robust as a manual transmission, and they've been controlled to act like a X speed automatic transmission which is just pure stupidity IMO. The first Prius I drove (while an engineer at Toyota) seemed to have a CVT that worked exactly how a CVT should work. But admittedly, it was weird driving being so different than any other vehicle I've ever driven. Controls have been added to make them act somewhat like a traditional x-speed transmission. Because feedback to the OEMs was vast and mostly negative, with customers thinking something was wrong with the transmission (CVT) ... because like I said, they did seem very weird when they operate as they were initially intended. Clarification: The CVT seemed weird but it was actually the correct way to operate.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    I have to say, that I think that's true, but needs a bit more explaining. A vehicle with more gears does or should accelerate more quickly than that said vehicle with the same engine and less gears. Because it should be able to keep the engine rpm higher up in the peak hp / torque rpm by not dropping as far out of the peak hp / torque rpm range as those with few gears.

While simultaneously, those with higher gears should show an improvement in mpg by being able to keep the rpm lower across a greater amount of cruise speeds, than those with fewer gears.

Ultimately, the more gears a transmission has, the closer it comes to being a CVT. And ultimately, a CVT is the ultimate transmission. However, I don't believe they are as robust as a manual transmission, and they've been controlled to act like a X speed automatic transmission which is just pure stupidity IMO. The first Prius I drove (while an engineer at Toyota) seemed to have a CVT that worked exactly how a CVT should work. But admittedly, it was weird driving being so different than any other vehicle I've ever driven. Controls have been added to make them act somewhat like a traditional x-speed transmission. Because feedback to the OEMs was vast and mostly negative, with customers thinking something was wrong with the transmission (CVT) ... because like I said, they did seem very weird when they operate as they were initially intended. Clarification: The CVT seemed weird but it was actually the correct way to operate.
    As for cvt being made to act like a traditional automatic, I assume you're talking about the ones that use stepper motors to make it feel like it's shifting? The Mirage cvt doesn't have that stuff. It does have an actual 2speed part to it that shifts around 30mph ish (iirc), otherwise it drive's similar to a regular belt drive cvt atv,utv,skidoo imo. I drove a cvt rogue a month or so ago and it felt completely different, like a wannabee automatic. I don't recall the NV200's feeling like that, they shift kinda like the Mirage cvt. Hit the gas and they rev up then once the rubber band stretches enough they start to go slightly quicker.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,389 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    As for cvt being made to act like a traditional automatic, I assume you're talking about the ones that use stepper motors to make it feel like it's shifting?
    Yes, that amongst other controls.

The Mirage cvt doesn't have that stuff. It does have an actual 2speed part to it that shifts around 30mph ish (iirc), otherwise it drive's similar to a regular belt drive cvt atv,utv,skidoo imo. I drove a cvt rogue a month or so ago and it felt completely different, like a wannabee automatic.
    Yes! I don't like that wannabe automatic feel. It's kind of insulting.

I only drove a CVT G4 like 5 or 6 years ago. I don't remember the feel so much. I remember the feel of the throttle pedal against the floor.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    I have to say, that I think that's true, but needs a bit more explaining.
    I was in a hurry when posting that lol.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    As for cvt being made to act like a traditional automatic, I assume you're talking about the ones that use stepper motors to make it feel like it's shifting? The Mirage cvt doesn't have that stuff. It does have an actual 2speed part to it that shifts around 30mph ish (iirc), otherwise it drive's similar to a regular belt drive cvt atv,utv,skidoo imo. I drove a cvt rogue a month or so ago and it felt completely different, like a wannabee automatic. I don't recall the NV200's feeling like that, they shift kinda like the Mirage cvt. Hit the gas and they rev up then once the rubber band stretches enough they start to go slightly quicker.
    As for CVTs not cutting it my 900 CC Thundercat easily produced 200+ hp with the triple expansion pipes. I could thrash that sled all day long, pull 300 yard wheelies, spin the studded track on pavement to create the coolest lightshow at night you ever saw.

I think I replaced the Kevlar embedded belt for $22 or so twice in the 3 years I had the sled. The second belt was only put on for the purposes of sale. It looked fine still.

I heard the same belts now push $125 and need replacing every season. FTN. Oops. Make that $155!!!

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)