Thread: Replacing liftgate latch on a 2014 Mirage

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Replacing liftgate latch on a 2014 Mirage

Hello,
    I recently replaced the back hatch/liftgate latch assembly on my 2014 and thought I would document it somewhere. It was stuck locked, and the only thread about such an issue on here was completely unhelpful. My closest repair shop wanted $300 before even looking at it, I was able to do it for $84 in about an hour.

The latch assembly is behind a cloth-covered plate on the inside. It's held in place with plastic pegs which can be pulled out with a claw hammer. I didn't see a way to keep these intact reliably, so a different way of putting it back on will be needed at the end.

Because the assembly is bolted in on the bottom, the hatch needs to be open before removing it.
    This image is of the back of the assembly. To open the hatch, slide a screwdriver down behind the assembly next to the handle arm and push this metal piece to the left:
    Name:  back.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  58.3 KB
    While holding it there, shove another (preferably flathead) screwdriver into the side of the latch itself:
    Name:  front.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  53.2 KB
    Then push and it should open.

The only things holding it in place are a cable, the handle, and 3 bolts. The cable is a bit tricky to unplug since it has a plastic clip keeping it in place, a screwdriver can help. Push the handle connector out of the loop it's in, remove the bolts, and it'll slide up and out. Then simply put the new one in, and remember to plug in the cable.
    For anyone else stuck putting groceries in the back seat, I hope this helps!

PS Mods, I think this counts as body/exterior but please move if needed

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Sh#t. The whole assembly looks to be made of nylon. And quite simple so hats off to Mits.
    Useless factoid: The Ford Windstar line had a rear door latch mechanism consisting of over 1100 discrete parts.

Nice post OP. It is useful.

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)