Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Mirage G4 owner here! New Driver too

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks

New Mirage G4 owner here! New Driver too

I don't even have my license yet!

And lets just say I am kinda late in the game but boy o boy I love my used 2018 G4 GLS.

I got it used from a local dealership. I am intimidated with all the keyless features.

I am from a very "economically humble background" and I haven't been in modern cars that much.

Last time my family owned one it was a 1978 Corolla.

I would need a users manual for the infotainment thing.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Atras For This Useful Post:

Fummins (01-30-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 2,122 Posts
    Welcome to the forum!

Does your G4 have the automatic transmission (CVT) or the manual 5-speed transmission?

You'll master whatever is on your car in no time!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Atras (02-08-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,422 Times in 1,029 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Atras View Post
    I don't even have my license yet!

And lets just say I am kinda late in the game but boy o boy I love my used 2018 G4 GLS.
    Atras - I'm not only excited for you, but I'm proud of you for your choice. I've procured many a vehicle in my life (a lot fewer than a lot of people I'm sure, and a lot more than some), and I can say that the Mirage is probably the most valuable vehicle I've ever owned. I'm tickled with it every time I drive it. It makes my Lexus feel like a waste of money. I think that's because, my Lexus is a waste of money.

Get your license as soon as is possible for you. Perhaps the 2nd most valuable car I owned was a 2004 Corolla LE 5MT. I don't know, it could have been the most valuable. Seems I bought it for probably what amounted to $15.5k, and drove it for over 300k miles. Very very few problems. I bought it while working for Toyota so I got a fair discount purchasing it.

I don't know what's possible in Manila, but perhaps you can buy yourself some basic mechanics tools and do your own maintenance. Not only will that save you money, but when your maintenance is done, you'll know it is DONE RIGHT. The combination of saving money and getting it done right feels very satisfying.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

Atras (02-08-2023),MetroMPG (02-10-2023),vintzend (02-11-2023)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Wow, congrats on the car and welcome. This place has all the answers. I hope you stick around. It feels like there's been a lot of 1 post and gone types recently, almost like they bought a Mirage cheap, thinking they could Rube Goldberg a fix, the they disappear. I'm thinking about a guy asking about a timing chain. Nobody, and I mean nobody in the Mirage world EVER had a timing chain failure. So what's with this guy and the only Mirage in the world that needs a new timing chain. Oh well, I'm rambling again.

My biggest waste of money was my twin turbo Porsche. It truly handled like **** and the only true cool thing was the sound from the WOT. It's a unique Porsche sound, distinctive like a Ferrari V12 but way cooler..
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Welcome to the forum!

Does your G4 have the automatic transmission (CVT) or the manual 5-speed transmission?

You'll master whatever is on your car in no time!
    Thank you for your reply

Oh it has the CVT, This is a used 2019 Mirage G4 GLS 19,000 kms on the odo

The thing is when I went to driving school I chose to learn manual for 3 reasons :
    1. lessons on a M/T car is cheaper
    2. I want to learn M/T so my choices in buying a car is not limited (my budget is not flexible )
    3. Learning Manual for me is fun as it is a bit more complicated and it may be the last time I ever touch a manual.

Having said that I only had 8 hours driving time at the driving school but boy o boy the GLS power steering really feels light and the CVT makes it feel I am driving a toy car.

lol!

I drove it around today around my neighborhood I brought in my student permit offcourse and a very helpful neighbor who guides me on how to turn correctly and what not.

Driving inside the Manila suburbs felt more nerve wracking than my driving lessons in the business district.
    lol

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Atras - I'm not only excited for you, but I'm proud of you for your choice. I've procured many a vehicle in my life (a lot fewer than a lot of people I'm sure, and a lot more than some), and I can say that the Mirage is probably the most valuable vehicle I've ever owned. I'm tickled with it every time I drive it. It makes my Lexus feel like a waste of money. I think that's because, my Lexus is a waste of money.

Get your license as soon as is possible for you. Perhaps the 2nd most valuable car I owned was a 2004 Corolla LE 5MT. I don't know, it could have been the most valuable. Seems I bought it for probably what amounted to $15.5k, and drove it for over 300k miles. Very very few problems. I bought it while working for Toyota so I got a fair discount purchasing it.

I don't know what's possible in Manila, but perhaps you can buy yourself some basic mechanics tools and do your own maintenance. Not only will that save you money, but when your maintenance is done, you'll know it is DONE RIGHT. The combination of saving money and getting it done right feels very satisfying.
    Hi thank you for your message.

This is actually my first car its a used 2018 Mirage with 19,100 km on the Odo. and I am kinda late to the game I am already 40 lol. But I have been somewhat a car enthusiast most of my life.

Do you own the Hatch back or the sedan both are really cool.

I am more of Toyota Corolla fan at first or their sub-compact version here in S.East Asia the Vios. But man when I saw the car being sold in Facebook I was like " This car wan'ts me" " I need to buy this cute Mirage GLS G4.

I just can't resist looking at it not that Toyota cars look bad but I just like the Mirage interior and exterior aesthetics. Specially the 2013 to 2019 models.

If they will re-issue this body style I would be happy because I want to own a brand new one in the next 5 years.

And yes I do plan on learning some basic "mechanic work" If there are some basic courses I might enroll in one down the road.!

It felt surreal driving around my block hahaah streets here are so narrow and filled with all sorts of people.

hahah

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    Wow, congrats on the car and welcome. This place has all the answers. I hope you stick around. It feels like there's been a lot of 1 post and gone types recently, almost like they bought a Mirage cheap, thinking they could Rube Goldberg a fix, the they disappear. I'm thinking about a guy asking about a timing chain. Nobody, and I mean nobody in the Mirage world EVER had a timing chain failure. So what's with this guy and the only Mirage in the world that needs a new timing chain. Oh well, I'm rambling again.

My biggest waste of money was my twin turbo Porsche. It truly handled like **** and the only true cool thing was the sound from the WOT. It's a unique Porsche sound, distinctive like a Ferrari V12 but way cooler..

I will definitely stick around and chat around here.

I love forums in general and I will need all the help and info I can get because this is a used car and like I said its my first car and I am new to cars but I consider my self to be some sort of motoring enthusiast.

I need a users manual for this car hahah I need to know what maintenance I need to do and when!

Like when should I have the transmission check?

Does the CVT need some sort of change oil/ Transmission fluid etc. Aside from the engine oil replacement you need to do every 5,000 kms?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I will definitely stick around and chat around here.

I love forums in general and I will need all the help and info I can get because this is a used car and like I said its my first car and I am new to cars but I consider my self to be some sort of motoring enthusiast.

I need a users manual for this car hahah I need to know what maintenance I need to do and when!

Like when should I have the transmission check?

Does the CVT need some sort of change oil/ Transmission fluid etc. Aside from the engine oil replacement you need to do every 5,000 kms?
    The CVT does require attention but I'll leave the answers to that with the CVT experts. My both Mirages are 5 MT.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Wallythacker For This Useful Post:

Atras (02-08-2023)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    The CVT does require attention but I'll leave the answers to that with the CVT experts. My both Mirages are 5 MT.
    I could not even hear the shifting I guess that's what CVTs do. hahaha

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,422 Times in 1,029 Posts
    Do you own the Hatch back or the sedan both are really cool.
    I own a HB 5 speed manual. However, I actually think the G4 looks better. And I'd rather have a sedan than a HB. However, I've never owned a HB, so I thought I'd give it a try. I do like my blue HB, no complaints.

I wouldn't worry too much about the maintenance on the CVT. From what I understand, the maintenance is not frequent, not expensive, and has proven beneficial. There's a couple guys in here that have made / make YT videos. I'm betting the engine oil change and oil filter change has been videoed. It's so easy, even a cavewoman could do it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

15. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

Atras (02-08-2023)