Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: what is the one (or 2) things that drives you insane about your Mirage

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Reminds me of this old thread...

Gear ratios - 5-spd manual vs CVT (speed-vs-RPM-chart)

Bottom line:

Install taller tires, then install Euro-spec 5-speed differential gears (3.55 ratio) in place of the factory 4.055 final drive ratio. Somebody get me that part number.

Attachment 24685
    I so want to do this. It's one of the few upgrades I could justify on this car.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 41.5 mpg (US) ... 17.7 km/L ... 5.7 L/100 km ... 49.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,422 Times in 1,029 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    Notice how our 78 hp autobahn wundercars are graphed out to 130+ MPH in one chart? Hey. I'm all for giving it a try.
    If wind drag didn't exist, the speed of that car would match that graph. But with wind drag, and enough long straightaway (flat, no wind), I hear these little beauties top out at about 110 mph. I'd love to do the research and confirm. If Toyota would only let me use their 10 mile oval in Arizona...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    If wind drag didn't exist, the speed of that car would match that graph. But with wind drag, and enough long straightaway (flat, no wind), I hear these little beauties top out at about 110 mph. I'd love to do the research and confirm. If Toyota would only let me use their 10 mile oval in Arizona...
    Yeah once you hit a certain speed it takes a lot of power to overcome the wind. I remember when I was younger and far more stupid, trying to top out my one car, it got up to 100mph fast enough but I remember it taking a long time to get past the 150 mark.

I haven't tried to top out the Mirage and probably never will little tires at high speeds.....Who's heading to the salt flats?
    My 02 Dodge diesel was governed at 160 or 170kph, 100-105mph.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Yeah once you hit a certain speed it takes a lot of power to overcome the wind. I remember when I was younger and far more stupid, trying to top out my one car, it got up to 100mph fast enough but I remember it taking a long time to get past the 150 mark.

I haven't tried to top out the Mirage and probably never will little tires at high speeds.....Who's heading to the salt flats?
    My 02 Dodge diesel was governed at 160 or 170kph, 100-105mph.
    You must have had a 4.11 gear. I've hit ~120 in my Ram. But I was *busy* so I didn't keep looking down. I think it had a bit more, but that's all I cared to do. Mine has 3.55's.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,712 Times in 2,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    The sun visor. It's the most useless piddly little POS of any car I've ever owned. It's not long enough when the sun is right at 2100 and low on the horizon. That has been a big beef of mine since new. Note to self. make an extension and stop harping about it. Self: Ay ay herr Kapitan.

I did say 2 things are OK.

TWO. Where the hell is overdrive? Why must my poor 5 MT churn over 3500rpm just to cruise at a leisurely 73-75mph. WHY? CVT only turns 2100rpm or so at the same speed? That makes zero sense to me. If we have the brains to drive a 5 MT surely if we encounter a hill and we had a real overdrive we would be intelligent enough to DOWNSHIFT when needed. No, Mitsubishi decided our engines should bop and buzz like hornets on meth.
    It's funny you mention sun visors, because my Mirage is one of the few I can use like normal. It flips forward enough so that I can see below it with ease. I can't see below my Forester sun visor very well, because of the seating position & my height. I'm only about 6', not some giant either. My Mirage sun visor is perfect compared to my Forester.

It would be hard to pick just two things to change

Electric power steering sucks
    Suspension should be better
    Taller 5th gear or 6th gear for the manual (In 2023, I would just wish for the manual to come back)
    Rear seats that flip in such a manner to create a flat floor space in the rear. All of my other vehicles have been better!

I could go on, but then I would be describing a Honda Fit.

If I could have bought a Honda Fit for $9,000 brand new, I would have one in my driveway instead. I wouldn't buy a new Mirage today for two reasons (manual transmission is gone & pricing).

Having shared all that, I really like my Mirage. It was affordable to buy at the time. It's been very reliable, & it's quite economical to own/drive. I wouldn't change a thing about all that!!!!

You must have had a 4.11 gear. I've hit ~120 in my Ram. But I was *busy* so I didn't keep looking down. I think it had a bit more, but that's all I cared to do. Mine has 3.55's.
    Nope, 3.55(auto-junk). It didn't hit a rev limiter it hit a speed limiter.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    1. What I currently hate is the fact that the 'top of the line' model can no longer be had in manual. I would sooooo buy another mirage if they still had manual on the top trim.

2. I hate that the car ships without
    - a rear swaybar
    - soft rear springs
    - no armrest (not sure if this is still the case)

Wally - The 5MT runs 2 overdrives! Both 4th and 5th are overdrive. That's where overdrive is! The rpm our engines turn is quite pleasant compared to a lot of other cars I've driven.

Now I'll go and think about the 2 things. I have one for sure.
    TBH, as much as I hate the buzz of the engines at speed, the RPMs are at the 'right place' for any sort of 'acceptable' overtaking maneuvers without downshifting when you're at 70MPH; it's even more responsive when trying to speed up from 75/80mph.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    TBH, as much as I hate the buzz of the engines at speed, the RPMs are at the 'right place' for any sort of 'acceptable' overtaking maneuvers without downshifting when you're at 70MPH; it's even more responsive when trying to speed up from 75/80mph.
    Agreed. It's why it climbs a hill so well at 70 to 80 mph. That was one of my fears before buying the car. That it would be a sissy on the hills. But, it is not at all. Anywhere between 3,500 - 4,500 rpm is centered around the torque peak of ~4,000 rpm.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

inuvik (02-01-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Agreed. It's why it climbs a hill so well at 70 to 80 mph. That was one of my fears before buying the car. That it would be a sissy on the hills. But, it is not at all. Anywhere between 3,500 - 4,500 rpm is centered around the torque peak of ~4,000 rpm.
    Plus at around 3500rpm MIVEC is activated.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Business Up Front Johnny Mullet's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    On the 2017 ES, no complaints really, but the 2023 Auto wipers can anger me at times and I want headlights ON or OFF, not auto.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Johnny Mullet For This Useful Post:

BigMW (02-02-2023),inuvik (02-02-2023)