Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No crank no start

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

No crank no start

I went to start up my car yesterday to go to the store and everything was fine. I went into the store, got what I needed, then went back out to my car only to find that it wouldn't start.

I turned the key and the starter didn't even click, but the screen lit up and the lights still worked. I checked my battery connections and checked for blown fuses but neither seemed to be the problem, so I went into the auto department to ask for a jumper pack. The person that helped me out was very friendly, but still we couldn't get it started and he said that my battery was fully charged. After fiddling around with the car for a good 20 minutes I finally got it to start cranking but neither of us had any idea what had caused it to finally start cranking. It probably cranked 25 times before it started firing.

Anyone else have this issue before or know what it might be? Could it be the clutch safety switch sticking? Is there a battery ground that could have came loose? Why would it take so long to fire if it only had been sitting for only 15 minutes?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Could be anything, it's gonna be hard to fix if it's not broken.
    Could be clutch safety switch out of adjustment or dirty contacts. Do you have to hold the pedal all the way to the floor in order for the starter to work or will it crank before bottoming out?

It could be starter solenoid is on it's last legs. Sometimes giving the starter a whack with a tire iron or mallet can get you another crank out of it, kinda like beating a fuel tank when the pump locks up to get one more drive out of it....

As for the long crank time, it was probably flooded.

What year is it? Mileage? What did you have done to it last(usually the cause of the current problem).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

195spd (01-31-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 195spd View Post
    I went to start up my car yesterday to go to the store and everything was fine. I went into the store, got what I needed, then went back out to my car only to find that it wouldn't start.

I turned the key and the starter didn't even click, but the screen lit up and the lights still worked. I checked my battery connections and checked for blown fuses but neither seemed to be the problem, so I went into the auto department to ask for a jumper pack. The person that helped me out was very friendly, but still we couldn't get it started and he said that my battery was fully charged. After fiddling around with the car for a good 20 minutes I finally got it to start cranking but neither of us had any idea what had caused it to finally start cranking. It probably cranked 25 times before it started firing.

Anyone else have this issue before or know what it might be? Could it be the clutch safety switch sticking? Is there a battery ground that could have came loose? Why would it take so long to fire if it only had been sitting for only 15 minutes?

Any help would be much appreciated!
    Fummins - His name is written in code - 2019 5-speed manual

The only time my 2017 ES manual didn't start like that was when I added a floor mat on top of the factory floor mat. I moved the floor mat, & the problem was instantly solved. Thus, I would conclude that the clutch needs to be depressed down all the way. That happened 3-4 years ago, & I haven't had an issue since. . I live in Wisconsin, & my 2017 Mirage still has the factory battery. I probably shouldn't have said that. I have to go into town for driving lessons after school later & now my Mirage may not start!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Perhaps clutch switch, maybe a rare flat spot on the commutator but I can't explain how that resolved without using a hammer. How long was it running before you shut it down and what was the ambient temp?

Maybe you experienced the plugs getting very wet with fuel and perhaps they dried out in the time you were fiddling with it?

That's all I've got.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Its a 2019 with 33,000 miles on it. The last work that I did to it was replacing the cabin air filter, but that was 2,000 miles ago.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Its a 2019 with 33,000 miles on it. The last work that I did to it was replacing the cabin air filter, but that was 2,000 miles ago.
    Do you have factory floor mats or aftermarket ones?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    Perhaps clutch switch, maybe a rare flat spot on the commutator but I can't explain how that resolved without using a hammer. How long was it running before you shut it down and what was the ambient temp?

Maybe you experienced the plugs getting very wet with fuel and perhaps they dried out in the time you were fiddling with it?

That's all I've got.
    It was running for about 15minutes and that temperature was -5 degrees fahrenheit.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Do you have factory floor mats or aftermarket ones?
    It has aftermarket weather tech floor mats, and I think you might be on to something here....

10. The Following User Says Thank You to 195spd For This Useful Post:

CROSSBOLT (02-02-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It has aftermarket weather tech floor mats, and I think you might be on to something here....
    The floor mat preventing my clutch pedal to depress all the way down is the only time my Mirage has done what you described, and I have owned my Mirage since October of 2017.

I want to add that I have had WeatherTech floor mat for a few years now, & they have not been an issue. I wouldn't have anything extra underneath them, however.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

195spd (01-31-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    The floor mat preventing my clutch pedal to depress all the way down is the only time my Mirage has done what you described, and I have owned my Mirage since October of 2017.
    Still doesn't explain the long crank time though. Fummins mentioned that it could have been flooded. Could this be caused by cycling on and off the fuel pump so many times?