Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MRDA - It's a small world...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,010 Posts

MRDA - It's a small world...

Guys (and gals?),

I just right now discovered an interesting fact. When I left Toyota to go to the dark side of the force (Hyundai-Kia), the very first building I worked for Hyundai-Kia (before Hyundai-Kia built their fancy schmancy new building) IS THE CURRENT BUILDING for Mitsubishi Motors R&D of America, Inc. (MRDA).

MRDA does research, testing and investigation. Which is what my experience is / was in automotive. I worked in the same building! My big blue Ram has been in that building. It's where I measured tire-by-tire that my truck, plum empty except a fuel tank of fuel, is 7,140 pounds. MRDA procured it after H-K moved out!

I think I heard that back then, but never really paid any attention.

Should I submit my resume to them, just to see if they show any interest? I don't think I'd take that position, but if I did, I'd march in there and demand the manual transmission be offered again in the Mirage!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

BigMW (02-01-2023),Dirk Diggler (02-03-2023),mohammad (02-04-2023),Nifty_Biscuit (02-09-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Guys (and gals?),

Should I submit my resume to them, just to see if they show any interest? I don't think I'd take that position, but if I did, I'd march in there and demand the manual transmission be offered again in the Mirage!
    I think you should sacrifice retirement & help bring back the manual in 2024!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

mohammad (02-04-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,010 Posts
    I'd go in like a sledgehammer day 1 and DEMAND the manual back! Day 2, I'd be out on my ass!

I could take a 2 week vacation from my current position, and time that vacation at the same time I started at MRDA. And then for 2 weeks, I could be a demanding PITA sonofagun at MRDA, and only gripe and moan about how to improve the Mirage (no EV Mirage, a hybrid only as an option). Nothing about the rest of the lineup. Start all kind of Mirage hell. If I got fired, no problem!

That's something George Costanza would do. Heck, maybe I could tell MRDA my name is Art Vandelay ... hmmmm, now we're onto something!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    I'd go in like a sledgehammer day 1 and DEMAND the manual back! Day 2, I'd be out on my ass!

I could take a 2 week vacation from my current position, and time that vacation at the same time I started at MRDA. And then for 2 weeks, I could be a demanding PITA sonofagun at MRDA, and only gripe and moan about how to improve the Mirage (no EV Mirage, a hybrid only as an option). Nothing about the rest of the lineup. Start all kind of Mirage hell. If I got fired, no problem!

That's something George Costanza would do. Heck, maybe I could tell MRDA my name is Art Vandelay ... hmmmm, now we're onto something!
    Oui, do it! Also demand a Powerstroke licensed option with a 33 spd. overdrive ! you know, for economy.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    7miles found out why they think the Mirage radiator is worth $700, but thank them for actually putting a spare tire in the trunk unlike most brands these days.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    7miles found out why they think the Mirage radiator is worth $700, but thank them for actually putting a spare tire in the trunk unlike most brands these days.
    Why is a manual radiator $120 while the CVT one is $640?

https://www.qualitymitsubishiparts.c...h_str=radiator

or $125 vs $740?

https://www.mitsubishifactoryparts.c...h_str=radiator

Even if they are drastically different, I can't imagine they are that different!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (02-04-2023)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Why is a manual radiator $120 while the CVT one is $640?

https://www.qualitymitsubishiparts.c...h_str=radiator

or $125 vs $740?

https://www.mitsubishifactoryparts.c...h_str=radiator

Even if they are drastically different, I can't imagine they are that different!
    Yeah it's unbelievable. Almost 200k Mirages sold in the states alone and still nearly zero aftermarket available at Napa etc.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Yeah it's unbelievable. Almost 200k Mirages sold in the states alone and still nearly zero aftermarket available at Napa etc.
    maybe its because many are still under warranty? or because they are reliable?
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mohammad View Post
    maybe its because many are still under warranty? or because they are reliable?
    Rear non OEM drums shouldn't be hard to find, but they are. My usual brake guy ordered 3 different drums that all said they fit a 2014, none did. He ended up having to go to a Mitsu dealer and shelling out like $700 for both. Unbelievable.

For rear drums, you have to make sure you get the proper size. It's been that way for years and still is. Some brands/mfg/suppliers know that these cars came with 2 different sizes over the years and some don't. It doesn't help that other markets in 2014 in came with larger drums than the North American 2014, then the N/A cars came with the larger ones in 2017...

I ordered some for my 2014 and the listing was for 2014,15,17 etc...I had to get someone to measure the drum before I ordered them.

As for aftermarket rads, I can usually get them aftermarket through work most of the time but for the last few years getting almost anything has been completely hit or miss. Usually the latter. I've had to order from the rock place a few times lately.

Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (02-05-2023)