Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WTB 5sp transmission WA state

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I found a local transmission for $500 from a wrecker and it's the least expensive of anything local. Fortunately its from a 2018 with 49k miles

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jogard101 For This Useful Post:

BigMW (02-23-2023),Fummins (02-23-2023),inuvik (02-23-2023),Mark (02-23-2023),Top_Fuel (02-23-2023)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 675 Posts
    Good luck with your used transmission from the wrecker.

In these parts where 95% of cars are MT's, pictures like in your torn apart gearbox are quite unusual for any brand of car. People here just don't bash the sh*t of of their transmissions. Mirage transmissions are made by AISIN and they are most common in multiple brands, such as in various Toyota and Daihatsu models.

You may certainly want to look into the FSM! Get a copy if you don't have it. Take care to adjust the clutch cable exactly to specs. If you don't ride the clutch pedal and do not apply any force on the gear lever, you can expect the transmission to last for decades without any problems.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

Jogard101 (03-02-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jogard101 View Post
    Removed and pulled the trans apart tonight.
    How deep did you go into the tear-down? I'm curious what the output shaft looks like. I'm just wondering what would be involved to change the final drive ratio in one of these things.

Name:  Mirage_differential_gears.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  79.6 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    How deep did you go into the tear-down? I'm curious what the output shaft looks like. I'm just wondering what would be involved to change the final drive ratio in one of these things.

usually both a new ring and pinion gears, unless you have the lucky divisible ratio.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post

Not very deep, just split the case. I don't think it would be to much more to remove/install the output and differential. The biggest part would be disassembling the output shaft and reassembling your gears on a new shaft. So careful work at a press with a bearing separator I imagine. I'm not sure if the conical bearings on each side of the differential are adjustable (maybe shimmed) or are machined and assembled the same to an exact tolerance. I guess if you can't turn over the trans by hand when it's back together it's too tight or something is not right. I'f I can pick up another totalled mirage in the future I'd like to do a mini off road buggy which would require welding the spider gears, installing a CV axle stub in one end and adapting the other to a conventional driveshaft to feed a transfer case. Pretty common with the Honda motors and trans.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jogard101 For This Useful Post:

BigMW (03-02-2023),Fummins (03-02-2023),Top_Fuel (03-02-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    Good luck with your used transmission from the wrecker.

In these parts where 95% of cars are MT's, pictures like in your torn apart gearbox are quite unusual for any brand of car. People here just don't bash the sh*t of of their transmissions. Mirage transmissions are made by AISIN and they are most common in multiple brands, such as in various Toyota and Daihatsu models.

You may certainly want to look into the FSM! Get a copy if you don't have it. Take care to adjust the clutch cable exactly to specs. If you don't ride the clutch pedal and do not apply any force on the gear lever, you can expect the transmission to last for decades without any problems.
    The replacement transmission feels great! I've played with the clutch adjustment and it disengages at around the middle of the peddle travel. I couldn't find the appropriate 75w-80 GL4 fluid (other than maybe the dealer and I doubt I want to pay what they want for it). So I put in Castrol Synchro tech fluid. It's a GM and Chrysler manual transmission fluid. It's not GL4 fluid but it has been interchanged in by those manufactures some of transmissions that were previously GL4 required. The general consensus from people of the internet is it's right around 80 weight. I've used it NV4500 transmission which required it due to special friction coated syncros that burn up with conventional gear oil. I always thought it crazy expensive at $12 a quart, but now seems like a bargain compared to dealer or redline gear oil. It has a 100k or 150k mile service interval in the NV 4500 so I think it'll do nicely. I've noticed it's a tad sluggish to shift when below freezing but it's really not bad. And seems great in 50deg F weather.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Jogard101 For This Useful Post:

Fummins (03-02-2023)