Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mazda 2 experience

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I just picked a year that I thought all of them existed at the same time. I thought the Mazda2 data seemed off, because I aways thought of it as a 100 hp car. I didn't put any major effort/time into my comparision. I just googled & shared what came up.

I went back & did a 2014 comparison in my original post.

If your ultimate goal is to own a car that is affordable, reliable, & economical to drive, the Mirage is hard to beat.

In some ways going from Mirage to a Fit/Mazda2/Micra would be a step backwards. I wouldn't waste my time/money/energy looking for one of those cars if I have a Mirage sitting in my driveway. Mirage is going to get me anywhere I want to go for less money. I'm not knocking the other cars, because they handle/drive better. I learned to be content with what I have. I have better things to spend money on.
    I seem to be awash in people wanting my cars. I had a note in my mailbox inquiring about my 2014 as it doesn't move a lot. They were happy to pay "going value" for it certified and ready to go. Whatever going value means. After several weeks of my Saturn ad doing nothing it suddenly is interesting to people. 3 people want to drop by to see it personally. My 2017 is off the market until I really decide what the hell I want. I want something economical, maybe fun, trailer capable, 5/6 MT NO Hyundai/Kia crap, decent reputation, fairly priced. Only the Mazda 2 is meeting those requirements as of now. I also have decided to always have a plan B which till now has been my 2014 or the Vue.

I guess the spring and tax refunds drive a lot of purchases, be they cars or other consumer things.

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Dealers are also desperate for inventory. I've read that they're buying from private sellers.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,416 Times in 1,024 Posts
    If Mitsubishi would hire me to make the Mirage "better" year over year, I'd take that job. To me, "better" means, it is capable of racing around a road course quicker and quicker over successive years. And I don't mean that it would have to have more and more power. In the case of our mighty Mirages, I think very small and probably break-even (cost-wise) suspension changes would make the car "better" on the road course. Chassis, suspension, brakes, tires, transmission (ratios, usability), improvements to the CVT, yada yada yada. Sounds like my dream job.

I know of NOT ONE SINGLE VEHICLE that performs well on a road course that owners complain about the way it drives. Even if they want a "comfortable" ride. Nobody complains that a BMW 3-Series is uncomfortable to drive.

I would be in hog-heaven. Give me an office at Road Atlanta, the ability to crash a few cars in the name of research, a few minions to change parts and make drawings, oh my, the Mirage would be loved by more and more people and ownership numbers / sales, would grow.

You guys send Mitsubishi Corporate an email and let them know!

7milesout

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (02-28-2023)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Dealers are also desperate for inventory. I've read that they're buying from private sellers.
    I suspect that a couple of the calls were dealers, the first buyer for my Mirage was so eager to pay cash, as is, and collect it that day. Another dealer I suspect.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,709 Times in 2,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    If Mitsubishi would hire me to make the Mirage "better" year over year, I'd take that job. To me, "better" means, it is capable of racing around a road course quicker and quicker over successive years. And I don't mean that it would have to have more and more power. In the case of our mighty Mirages, I think very small and probably break-even (cost-wise) suspension changes would make the car "better" on the road course. Chassis, suspension, brakes, tires, transmission (ratios, usability), improvements to the CVT, yada yada yada. Sounds like my dream job.

I know of NOT ONE SINGLE VEHICLE that performs well on a road course that owners complain about the way it drives. Even if they want a "comfortable" ride. Nobody complains that a BMW 3-Series is uncomfortable to drive.

I would be in hog-heaven. Give me an office at Road Atlanta, the ability to crash a few cars in the name of research, a few minions to change parts and make drawings, oh my, the Mirage would be loved by more and more people and ownership numbers / sales, would grow.

You guys send Mitsubishi Corporate an email and let them know!

7milesout
    I honestly expected more from the 2021 Mirage update. I was a bit surprised that they only slapped on different bumpers & added a few features. As far as I am concerned, the car really hasn't changed since 2017 (& only slightly since 2014-15).

I don't mean to pop your bubble, but I don't see Mitsubishi changing the Mirage. I'm not sure Mitsubishi engineers are earning their money if the company continues to add Nissan clones to their line up.

If you worked for the Mitsubishi & brought the manual back to the USA, that would be a big plus in itself.

7milesout for president!

Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    I think very small and probably break-even (cost-wise) suspension changes would make the car "better" on the road course.
    When Nissan re-introduced the Micra to the Canadian market a year after the Mirage arrived, they ABSOLUTELY had read the many criticisms about the Mirage's weird steering & sloppy handling in the North American & Euro automotive press.

So the Micra debuted in Canada with factory front AND rear stabilizer bars (the Mirage has only a front bar), somewhat stiffer springs, better steering feel, and slightly wider tires (185/15's). The company was keen to point out that Canada was the only market that got a rear stabilizer bar as standard equipment.

The press LOVED the Micra. I literally never saw a negative review of the car. (Yes, the extra HP was part of that.) And it outsold the Mirage about 4-to-1.

Nissan even ran/sponsored a Micra Cup race series for 3 or 4 years!

The Micra was cheap & cheerful. The Mirage was just cheap!

You can sell an old man a young man's car. You can't sell a young man an old man's car.

Give me an office at Road Atlanta, the ability to crash a few cars in the name of research, a few minions to change parts and make drawings, oh my, the Mirage would be loved by more and more people and ownership numbers / sales, would grow.
    I'd vote for that!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Fummins (02-28-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    You can sell an old man a young man's car. You can't sell a young man an old man's car.

I agree with that! The KIA Soul is a good example of that. I think it was marketed for the young crowd, but it was a bigger hit with the older crowd.

I've never seen a young person act excited about a Buick LeSabre, even though it had a great powertrain (3800 V6)

"Even if the performance figures weren't spectacular, the nearly flawless construction, beefy internals, ease of maintenance, and great fuel efficiency, make the 3800 - particularly in Series II and III guise – one of the best V6 engines ever built." Mar 8, 2022

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (02-28-2023)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I honestly expected more from the 2021 Mirage update. I was a bit surprised that they only slapped on different bumpers & added a few features. As far as I am concerned, the car really hasn't changed since 2017 (& only slightly since 2014-15).

I don't mean to pop your bubble, but I don't see Mitsubishi changing the Mirage. I'm not sure Mitsubishi engineers are earning their money if the company continues to add Nissan clones to their line up.

If you worked for the Mitsubishi & brought the manual back to the USA, that would be a big plus in itself.
    better yet, offer the Mirage with a 6 MT where 6 is truly loafing the engine 2200rpm @75mph.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,416 Times in 1,024 Posts
    Get me hired and that is priority number 1!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    better yet, offer the Mirage with a 6 MT where 6 is truly loafing the engine 2200rpm @75mph.
    I would prefer a taller 5th gear. The difference between 4th & 5th gear could be increased without issue.

I've been driving 5-speeds for decades. I'm afraid that I would need a reminder alarm to shift into 6th gear!