Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mazda 2 experience

Nissan even ran/sponsored a Micra Cup race series for 3 or 4 years!
    Proof... they even made posters!

Name:  20230301_094123.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  91.8 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 2,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Proof... they even made posters!

Name:  20230301_094123.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  91.8 KB
    I could live with a Micra that had the Mirage 5-speed manual powertrain. It would have handling characteristics of the Micra and the fuel economy of the Mirage. The two together would make for a nice car in my opinion.

I also liked that the base level Micra was quite basic/simple (feature-wise).

The base Euro spec Micra had just that - a 1.2L triple.

But it was decided that only the 1.6L four would be offered on this side of the pond (including Mexico & Central/South America).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    The base Euro spec Micra had just that - a 1.2L triple.

But it was decided that only the 1.6L four would be offered on this side of the pond (including Mexico & Central/South America).
    Europe gets all the good stuff, but they are also more willing to drive manuals there. You have to take your driving test with a manual in some countries there. Otherwise, your license will have restrictions on what you can drive.

My oldest daughter wasn't that keen on learning how to drive a manual, but we sort forced her to do so. Most of her post college life has been in Africa & now Europe. Anything she would possibly drive would have a manual transmission including their current Fiat Punto. Her mother-in-law, sister-in-law, & husband all share their one car.

Outside of my daughter & son-in-law, no one borrows my manual vehicles. If someone asks to borrow one of my vehicles, I just say it's a manual. The conversation usually ends there.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Very interesting. Never knew about the Micra.

Can that be easily imported to USA? I mean if the Mazda 2 2021 could be had, then Micra is do-able since it falls under the NAFTA? Or am I missing something here.

Dang. Micra looks cheerful and cheap. Wish I knew before. Oh well. I am still happy to own my G4 as my first brand new car.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by defensivetackle88 View Post
    Very interesting. Never knew about the Micra.

Can that be easily imported to USA? I mean if the Mazda 2 2021 could be had, then Micra is do-able since it falls under the NAFTA? Or am I missing something here.

Dang. Micra looks cheerful and cheap. Wish I knew before. Oh well. I am still happy to own my G4 as my first brand new car.
    We don't hear about the Micra that much, because it was never sold in the States. Canada, however, had it for a few years, & we had a forum member who owned both the Micra & Mirage at the same time.

There would be an assortment of cars that would be fun to have here, but they are only offered in other markets.

No one is going to bring cars here when companies like Ford aren't even making cars for Americans these days. It's the sad reality of where things are at.

The Micra was supposedly "federalized" to be sold in the U.S., but Nissan ultimately decided not to sell it to you guys because "Americans prefer sedans".

It's built on the same platform and with the same drivetrain as the previous gen Note and Versa sedan (with the exception of the automatic transmission: the Versa & Note use a CVT; the Micra uses a 4-spd slushbox). Many of the interior bits are the same too. So if you want a Micra, go buy a <2020 Versa.

I've seen pics of Micras running around the southern U.S., but they're probably Mexico plated. (Actually badged as "Nissan March" in MX.)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I live in the Micra capitol of Canada. I have easily seen 50+ Micras since moving to Niagara Falls. There were at least 3-4 houses I knew of with 2 Micras in the drive. I have yet to see a beater or one with any damage. Owners take pride in them it seems. On the highway they are always in the fast lane zipping along 75+ mph. I have never driven one.

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)