Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Test drove a 2024 Versa today......

cvt connoisseur, of sorts OrganicFoxes's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks

Cool Test drove a 2024 Versa today......

Decided to go and look at a new Versa since they are pretty cool ecoboxes. I was more interested in the cvt though, Versa still has the same cvt as in the mirage even in 2024. I looked under the car, same exact pan, looked under the hood, everything looks the same as the mirage cvt. What really surprised me is that the versa also jults when coming to a stop sometimes, like the mirage does. Also if you are slowing down and almost come to a complete stop and then gas it, it will kinda jult exactly like how the mirage does. Some of the clunkyness that comes from the mirage cvt is just the trans, and not how its programed, mystery finally solved. The sport mode is completely different, the throttle response changes and shifts to lower ish rpms in normal driving unlike the mirage just sitting at high rpms and calling it a sport mode. The fake shifts are pretty cool and honestly really enjoyed it, it still acts like a traditional cvt below 2k rpm which is nice. When I "gave it the beans" several times throughout the drive, it didnt really feel much faster then the mirage, not going to push you back in your seat or anything. They are both pretty "slow" cars relatively speaking, but the Versa was more fun with the shiftlogic and better programming in my opinion. Forgot to mention, the cvt does have a dip stick that is very easy to check just like the mirage. Some automakers dont even have a cvt dip stick which kinda pisses me off. Anyone here ever drove a Versa, thought about getting one or even have one?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 47.9 mpg (US) ... 20.4 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by OrganicFoxes View Post
    Anyone here ever drove a Versa, thought about getting one or even have one?
    My next door neighbor has a '19 Versa (non-hatch) that he picked up used with over 100k miles. He drove it daily sometimes a thousand miles a week for his job and didn't seem to have any issues other than warped rotors once. I've worked on it a few times for him. Oil changes, brakes, new alternator, etc. TBH he didn't even need the alternator he just wouldn't believe me when I told him to get a new battery first...so now he has a new battery and nator lol.

Decent car though I can't say I have any desire to own a modern Nissan, which Mitsubishi looks like it will soon be a dealer for re-badged Nissans. Your post about the Mirage and Versa sharing the same model of CVT does make me wonder if the manuals also share a transmission. Anybody know?
    2022 Mirage ES [5MT/Infrared/OEM+] / 2015 CR-V EX [CVT/Black Pearl/Modded]
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,542 Times in 1,474 Posts
    If I absolutely had to buy a new car right now, a manual transmission Versa is about the only thing available with 3 pedals for under $20K. And that would require some detective work since only something like 5% of new Versas have a manual.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

7milesout (11-08-2023),BigMW (11-08-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The Versa became uninteresting to me when they dropped the Note. Tiny sedans do not interest me like hatches do.
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,431 Times in 1,037 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    If I absolutely had to buy a new car right now, a manual transmission Versa is about the only thing available with 3 pedals for under $20K. And that would require some detective work since only something like 5% of new Versas have a manual.
    I'm right there with you. When I was Mirage shopping, the Versa 5MT was on my list.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Yeah they even told me that at the dealer that it would be hard to get. The sales person I was talking to that day said they only seen 1 manual of the new facelift model that came out for 2023 at that dealer. Even the SR is hard to get, most common one they have at the dealer is a base model with a cvt, not even apple carplay which the mirage comes with on the base model.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 47.9 mpg (US) ... 20.4 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jonesboro View Post
    My next door neighbor has a '19 Versa (non-hatch) that he picked up used with over 100k miles. He drove it daily sometimes a thousand miles a week for his job and didn't seem to have any issues other than warped rotors once. I've worked on it a few times for him. Oil changes, brakes, new alternator, etc. TBH he didn't even need the alternator he just wouldn't believe me when I told him to get a new battery first...so now he has a new battery and nator lol.

Decent car though I can't say I have any desire to own a modern Nissan, which Mitsubishi looks like it will soon be a dealer for re-badged Nissans. Your post about the Mirage and Versa sharing the same model of CVT does make me wonder if the manuals also share a transmission. Anybody know?
    Honestly might have the same manual but I doubt it. In this video is looks like in 5th gear it revs a little lower then the mirage at the same speed. Looks like they were going 75 at 3500rpm, I think the mirage revs like 250rpm more at that speed (i could be wrong, i dont drive a manual mirage) but it could be wheel sizes that make that difference, if it has the same trans that is. You would think they would have lower revving manual in 5th gear with that bigger displacement engine......... or they could be just using the same trans as the mirage to save money...... who knows, if I ever come across a manual versa I think I'll have a little look under their car to see, not in a creepy way ofc hahahaha

https://youtu.be/5gs3J33ygxs?si=dowf0v_H4gLOA0UU

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Basic View Post
    The Versa became uninteresting to me when they dropped the Note. Tiny sedans do not interest me like hatches do.
    I think new hatches are almost dead in the US unfortunately, can't think of really any new small hatches in here besides the mirage. I mean I guess there is like the civic "hatchback" but then again that car is kinda big.

Yeah it seems like all small cars are gone except the Mirage. I've never driven a Versa, the older ones were known for cvt problems. The Spark also used the same cvt and I only worked on one of those and it burnt through 2 cvts that were both covered under warranty(under 100k miles) then quickly sold before #3 crapped out. I'm sure the cvt's last longer in the Mirage over the Versa because the versa has 50%more hp and weighs 5-600lb more than the Mirage. That and how many people actually change their transmission fluid other than the odd person who plans to keep a car for more than 5 years?

I agree, the Civic is big. It grew a lot since the 90's. The yaris and echo are gone. No more Fit. Is there a rio and accent still? I did a build and price on a new Jetta(the cheapest I could find new). It has a 6 speed with 3 overdrives, 4th is more around a 0.97 ratio but still technically an overdrive...I don't think I'll ever buy a new car in the near future. I was hoping to but I'll keep driving jalopies for the foreseeable future.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Yeah it seems like all small cars are gone except the Mirage. I've never driven a Versa, the older ones were known for cvt problems. The Spark also used the same cvt and I only worked on one of those and it burnt through 2 cvts that were both covered under warranty(under 100k miles) then quickly sold before #3 crapped out. I'm sure the cvt's last longer in the Mirage over the Versa because the versa has 50%more hp and weighs 5-600lb more than the Mirage. That and how many people actually change their transmission fluid other than the odd person who plans to keep a car for more than 5 years?

I agree, the Civic is big. It grew a lot since the 90's. The yaris and echo are gone. No more Fit. Is there a rio and accent still? I did a build and price on a new Jetta(the cheapest I could find new). It has a 6 speed with 3 overdrives, 4th is more around a 0.97 ratio but still technically an overdrive...I don't think I'll ever buy a new car in the near future. I was hoping to but I'll keep driving jalopies for the foreseeable future.
    Yeah if I do get a Versa I am adding a trans cooler right away, I actually ordered everything I need to make it happen on my mirage soon. Knowing the temps are high in my mirage on the freeway I can't imagine what its like with a car that is more heavy and more powerful with the same trans. Not changing fluid will not make your car last, you are right about that. Somehow this dealer I was at actually does trans services, which is super surprising considering most nissan dealers give you the bs "its lifetime fluid" explanation.

The Accent was just discontinued unfortunately, pretty sure the Rio is still a thing tho. To bad we can't buy cars like the Metro anymore, that would be awesome.