Thread: Awful rattling noise when in drive?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Question Awful rattling noise when in drive?

Before I take my 2017 SE in for an inspection, wanted to ask if anyone can recognize this rattling sound. It only does this after about 5 to 10 minutes of driving, I do always let the engine warm up before heading off. Might be thinking its something to do with the exhaust since I have seen some posts and videos about something coming loose and rattling around in the exhaust. Second area I am thinking is the CVT trans but I kinda doubt it. I was actually test driving it today after fixing multiple other rattling noises like the airbox and undertray that came loose. Here is an unlisted video of the sound I captured on that test drive. Sound started about a month ago but keeps getting worse, so, not sure what it could be. Would love to see if any of you have any ideas or suggestions for this.

https://youtube.com/shorts/8qtCNAUg2lw?feature=share

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    check the rubber hangars,

I usually encounter this type of sound from the back when on idle, the exhaust is hitting the back plastic bumper bottom because the rubber hanger is lose or not tight.

Thats why i changed mine.

Name:  20221126_065742.jpg
Views: 707
Size:  36.0 KB

Name:  20221213_103120.jpg
Views: 643
Size:  73.6 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 3,108.4 mpg (US) ... 1,321.5 km/L ... 0.1 L/100 km ... 3,733.0 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mitsumi For This Useful Post:

OrganicFoxes (03-04-2023)

X2 on the exhaust hangers. The ones in your car are probably gonna look different than the ones Mitsumi posted, they have a metal weight(damper)added to the top for some reason(the 2023's look like the ones above though). This is usually a problem with 2017 and newer up to 2020ish.
    I've seen the hanger just ahead of the rear right wheel wear out on the body side, the hole gets egged out on the rubber mount. A cheap easy fix is pop the mount off the car side and wrap some electrical or any flavored tape around the mount(car side)to build it up, then slide the rubber mount back on and it should now fit snuggly. I've seen the rearmost mount wear out too. Usually when they're worn they'll give a loud resonance when under light throttle in drive.

The other day I had a 2017 horrible noise after driving for 5 mins, the tail pipe was hitting the trailer hitch. I bent it out of the way a little bit and all was good.

One other exhaust vibration that I've seen was caused by one of the rubber hangers under the drivers seat(ish) area gets popped off by bottoming out the car on something.

There was one user that said their brake lines were vibrating under the car near the firewall, I haven't ran into that before but anything is possible.
    https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...exhaust-hanger
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

OrganicFoxes (03-04-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    X2 on the exhaust hangers. The ones in your car are probably gonna look different than the ones Mitsumi posted, they have a metal weight(damper)added to the top for some reason(the 2023's look like the ones above though). This is usually a problem with 2017 and newer up to 2020ish.
    I've seen the hanger just ahead of the rear right wheel wear out on the body side, the hole gets egged out on the rubber mount. A cheap easy fix is pop the mount off the car side and wrap some electrical or any flavored tape around the mount(car side)to build it up, then slide the rubber mount back on and it should now fit snuggly. I've seen the rearmost mount wear out too. Usually when they're worn they'll give a loud resonance when under light throttle in drive.

The other day I had a 2017 horrible noise after driving for 5 mins, the tail pipe was hitting the trailer hitch. I bent it out of the way a little bit and all was good.

One other exhaust vibration that I've seen was caused by one of the rubber hangers under the drivers seat(ish) area gets popped off by bottoming out the car on something.

There was one user that said their brake lines were vibrating under the car near the firewall, I haven't ran into that before but anything is possible.
    https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...exhaust-hanger
    Pretty late response, honestly forgot I posted this until today. Unfortunately I do have somewhat a bad update to share. Yesterday I noticed the car was lacking some power and that the exhaust stopped rattling as well. The exhaust rattling was actually a broken cat, figured that out last month. Im assuming that the pieces that broke off the cat "honeycomb" got lodged and stuck somewhere and is blocking the exhaust. Not sure how long I should be driving around like this, not like the engine is misfiring or anything like that, so far that is.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Lots of exhaust components are covered under the emission systems warranty. I'm not sure just what parts but presumably for the car to meet standards, for example let's say the hanger bracket allows exhaust movement because it cracked allowing gasses out that would/should be covered.

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)