Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Top Speed: 4.055 vs 3.555 Mirage final drive swap...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,389 Times in 1,007 Posts

Top Speed: 4.055 vs 3.555 Mirage final drive swap...

Guys,

I just can't help myself. I have to know. Now, if we were driving and talking about Dodge Vipers "up in here," then I might not have to know. But since our top speed is going to be in the 100 - 110 mph range, I can handle that.

This just cropped back up in my mind because last night I was watching a couple of Space Star / Mirage videos of them out on the Autobahn. In both cases, the cars were 5 speed (race)cars. One was the latest generation car, yeller in color. Sharp car. I could tell he had futzed with his exterior light bulbs because his blinkers were blinking way too fast.

Anywho - something occurred to me as I was watching the videos. They were hitting top speeds of about 160 to 165 kmh (102 - 105 mph). One time a little faster but it was slightly downhill so I neglected it. And also, at least the 78 hp yellow new one was only able to pull ~4,500 rpm in 5th, and ~5,500 rpm in 4th. And that's when it struck me!

I bet they're running that 3.55 differential ratio in those German cars! And, there's a sporting chance that our 'Merican cars might be faster than them fancy German cars!

While the 3.55 might (probably does) yield better mpg than the 4.055, I have a feeling the 3.55 may produce better top speed results.

A quick relative story. Back 100 years ago, I raced motorcycles. On racetracks and the street. One of the smart guys I rode with on the street suddenly made his bike faster than another guy's exact same bike. Nobody knew why. They would ride side-by-side at top speed just the weekend before. Those bikes wouldn't pull to redline in 6th gear. But Danny changed his rear sprocket and his would pull either to redline or a lot closer to it than Bud's, extracting a bit more hp ... resulting in 2 or 3 more mph over the indentical bike Bud had. Bud was fuming for hours about how Danny could pull away from him. This (fun) went on for hours while Bud tried to get it out of Danny what he was doing. Danny was all mum. Then I noticed Danny's shiny new rear sprocket, and pointed it out to Bud. It was all such a hoot and fun. But that quick easy little change put Danny ever so slightly ahead of Bud.

We may be in the same boat here with our 4.055 versus the 3.55. Our cars should be able to pull closer to redline in 5th. I think our cars can hit redline in 4th, or much closer to it that 5,500 rpm.

So, as a result of this curiousity of mine, I'm just going to have to find out. I'm going to have to set up an "experiment." I just hope I don't get caught "experimenting." I can't give a date yet. Only I want to get this done this spring. I'll have to set aside some time on a Saturday and drive down to I-16 in south GA. That interstate gets fairly desolate and empty the further you go east of Macon ... until you start getting close to the coast. And it's fairly flat too.

I'll take a day and find a level 3+ mile stretch with decent pavement. I run a dash cam with a GPS, so that should take care of the documentation. Oh, that reminds me. The German's autobahn Mirages / Space Stars were showing 160 kph to 165 kph, ON THE SPEEDOMETER. We all know there is error. At 100 mph, there's probably close to 5 mph optimistic error. Cause I know I get about 2 mph error at 70 mph. So, let's just say there's 3 mph error and that's safe. That means their cars were doing more like 99 mph to 102 mph (instead of 102 mph to 105 mph).

Am I crazy? Does anyone disagree with my numbers for their speed? I'm going to say their top speed is 102 mph. Does anyone (verbally / mentally) agree with my experiment?

Below are the rpm to gps corrected speeds I'll be working with (4.055 gearing). Meaning, if I can pull more than 6,254 rpm in 4th, or 5,173 rpm in 5th, then our cars are faster (because these speeds are gps corrected). However, my dash cam displays speed too. And the dash cam speed does say 70 mph with my speedo is about 71.5ish. So I trust the dash cam speed is the more accurate one.

Name:  4th-5th Top Speed Numbers.jpg
Views: 414
Size:  66.3 KB

7milesWAYoutTHERE

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I don't have anything quantitative & rigorous to add, but anecdotally, I did drive my Mirage just over 100 mph. Once, late at night, with zero traffic.

In 5th gear at 102 mph, I was well over 5000 rpm.

That little 3 banger was making lots of noise. But Mirage was pretty smooth. That all said, with the number of deer around my parts, and a recent brush with deer, I totally wouldn't recommend this speed test lol.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I forget, is your car a CVT?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    I had my 2015 up to 115mph once (allegedly) CVT. IIRC it was turning about 5800rpm.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    I forget, is your car a CVT?
    Negative cvt's don't have a 5th gear
    Last edited by Fummins; 02-10-2023 at 05:26 PM.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Negative cvt's don't have a 5th gear
    True, I looked right over that. They only have 4 gears!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    I don't have anything quantitative & rigorous to add, but anecdotally, I did drive my Mirage just over 100 mph. Once, late at night, with zero traffic.

In 5th gear at 102 mph, I was well over 5000 rpm.

That little 3 banger was making lots of noise. But Mirage was pretty smooth. That all said, with the number of deer around my parts, and a recent brush with deer, I totally wouldn't recommend this speed test lol.
    My 2nd Mirage CVT rental was a car with about 1100 kms. A nice, solid, rattle free car. Compare that with my 1st Mirage rental, a CVT beater with >30,000kms, probably all brutal as this poor car shook, rattled and rolled like Elvis at County Fair Night. Anyhow, seizing the chance I hammered it coming out of Toronto one night head of the rush hour crowd and it was at 160km/h and still pulling like a little freight train. Well, it was pulling at least as hard as any respectable Mattel kiddie car. I closed in on traffic ahead way faster than I anticipated and haven't had the urge to try this again, although the raw curiousness is still there.

There was a long stretch of unfinished expressway north of Toronto where the guys ran their superbikes and there was enough road from what I remember to safely reach 200 mph, or more, and still have the ability to brake at their leisure, in reason. I suspect that's now part of the 407 extension above markham whitby ajax. Anyhow, I'm willing to contribute $25 $50 to a ticket fund in case John Law decides to crash the party.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    7milesout: my Mirage is the 5 speed manual yes.

Wallythacker: I took the entire 407 for the first time recently, and it was soooo much more relaxing than taking the 401. I did my little road test on the 402 with no traffic. Honestly there are hidden police though. And when you're the only car on the road, speeding, the odds are against you lol.

Anyway the 407 is worth the money for the toll road. There are just not that many restaurants or rest stops. That's why I pack sandwiches.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Sad weekend for me this weekend. The 2 year anniversary of my dad passing. My son's last wrestling event. Perhaps the last time I'll ever sit in a high school gym. Perhaps the last time I'll get to watch a son in any high school event. Except graduation.

Growing old ain't for sissies. I'll minimize meeting up with Johnny Law. I'll be running Waze and Valentine 1. Or a Beltronics RX65. Surely with that level of prevention, I can do a couple runs without problems.