Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did the Mirage change your opinion about econoboxes?

Did the Mirage change your opinion about econoboxes?

Jalopnik ran a story recently with the title:

"These are the cars that changed your perspective on cars."

Mirage was nominated,in a snarky/funny way:

Name:  Screen Shot 2023-02-10 at 7.45.21 PM.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  32.4 KB

https://jalopnik.com/these-are-the-c...4497/slides/13

The main thing about the Mirage that changed my opinion about modern economy cars is how LOADED they are with convenience & other features compared to economy cars of the past (I still own a bare bones 1998 Metro / Firefly).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    I like the quote from the article -

"Chevy Aveo: Taught me that they still make ****boxes.

Mitsubishi Mirage: Taught me that ****boxes can still be fun."

In many ways, the Mirage is the last one standing. All the cars that the Mirage was compared to a few years ago are now gone. I find it a bit ironic (in a good way) that the Mirage is receiving more love in recent years.

For those of us that owned economy boxes from the past, the Mirage is a pleasant surprise!

If I could design my very own vehicle, it would be a stretch out Mirage (small wagon) with the same 5-speed manual powertrain (taller 5th gear added). It would remind me of my first car (1978 Honda Civic Wagon) with 15 extra horsepower. I don't miss carburetors, too!

I've owned 3 vehicles with less horsepower than today's Mirage. Thus, I have no issue with 78 horsepower. This is my first 3-cylinder car, however. It has a charm of its own that grows on you over time.

The Mirage has filled a void left by my 1990 Ford Festiva (Mazda design, KIA built, Ford sold), which was an excellent little car for that particular period of my life. I have some great memories of that car! At times, I still have former students from 30 years ago sometimes ask if I still have that little yellow car!

I used it at times during my Science classes. I would have one, two, & four students push it across the parking lot as I dropped cones out the passenger door, & we would do human power acceleration calculations with it. It also meant someone else (7th grader) got to drive it! It was such a simple car. I never had any worries about it! Although I only kept it for 14 years, it still hadn't depreciated the full $5,300 I paid for it brand new.

For the younger generation -

Excluding items (traction/stability control*, air bags*, backup cameras*, hill start assist*, emergency braking*, auto headlights*, etc...*) that really didn't exist in most cars back then, a base level Ford Festiva didn't come with much of anything. Simple items like tachometer*, intermittent wipers*, A/C*, radio/speakers/antenna*, power windows*, power locks*, remote entry*, power steering*, ABS brakes*, power mirrors*, passenger mirror*, rear wiper*, & rear defrost* weren't part of the base trim level. A car like this defined a "basic" car!

* all these features exist on a recent year base model Mirage.

A base level Mirage seems quite loaded with features to me, too!

As far as the fun factor goes - I don't see cars as much fun. I think motorcycles are fun! Not having the best health care coverage in recent years made me sell my last motorcycle. Now that I am quite a bit older, I see a Mazda Miata filling that void for me some day. For now, my Mirage is my Zoom Zoom!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (02-11-2023)

When I started my current job years ago, I scoffed at the brand-new Mirages the company started buying, didn't think they'd last more than a couple of years before being clapped-out oil burners.

My hat tastes terrible.

So I guess the Mirage made me realize that eco-boxes can actually be surprisingly reliable. That is unless you're me and have 2 engines replaced in 2 different cars. But out of the probably 40+ Mirages over the years, I've only replaced 1 engine(low compression in one hole), I replaced a handful of Cvt's too but lately they seem to be hanging in there longer for some reason with some nearing 500,000kms/310,000miles.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (02-11-2023),Mark (02-11-2023),MetroMPG (02-11-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Your Mirage fleet & being on the forum helped erase some of my initial Mirage concerns! I probably owe you a case of beer!

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

AtomicPunk (02-14-2023),Christopher_B (02-17-2023),Fummins (02-11-2023)

^ I'd second that.

I don't get this take though:

Mitsubishi Mirage: Taught me that ****boxes can still be fun."
    I definitely don't think the Mirage is fun in any traditional way that a normal gearhead would agree with. (Driving dynamics.)

It's fun because it's such an oddball, maybe?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Fummins (02-11-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    ^ I'd second that.

I definitely don't think the Mirage is fun in any traditional way that a normal gearhead would agree with. (Driving dynamics.)

I don't really get that either?

It's fun to gas up next to a Cadillac Escalade, however!

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    ^ I'd second that.

The bodyroll makes it feel like a go cart and u-turning in one is a lot of fun.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    It's the opposite for me. Owning a Mirage only validated what I already knew, Mitsubishi is an underrated MFG. The US is the only country IMO that has a significant % of people that think Mitsubishi is unreliable and then they go out and buy a Chevy Trax. When I was in highschool in the late 90s, the Eclipse or Montero was considered extremely cool.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I have mixed feelings about Mitsubishi overall. I know of their history but they weren't the only outfit enslaving POWs for production purposes, they just had the dirtiest jobs for the POWs to do. I'm not going to stand on a moral highchair regarding WWII. It was a mess, everyone's hands were dirty. I'm glad Mitsubishi held it together and went on to become a heavy industry powerhouse, and a co. that makes very cool, very loaded and affordable cars. Notice I didn't say entry level. A Huracan is entry level to a billionaire.

I have always enjoyed different, not so popular cars. As long as I liked them and they met my needs I don't care if they had a "cool" factor or not. For some reason I knew these crazy little cars were going to be rock solid and reliable. I've only ever bought two cars that I remember, brand new over the phone, both have been Mirages. There may be a third this spring. That has to tell you something.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Name:  51HJskbaD6L._AC_SY580_.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  22.3 KB

If it goes down in Taiwan, our key ally Japan, will fight. They have no choice. Mitsubishi produces the "Shin Shin" stealth fighter. The tri-diamond could very easily fly again for the Pacific War 2.0. Kinda of crazy to think we'll be on the same side.