Thread: Mitsubishi doing a possible Triton pick up/ Frontier rebadge or the Maverick?

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts

Mitsubishi doing a possible Triton pick up/ Frontier rebadge or the Maverick?

https://www.thedrive.com/news/mitsub...n-the-us-again

Mitsubishi isn't going anywhere nay sayers.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    https://www.thedrive.com/news/mitsub...n-the-us-again

Mitsubishi isn't going anywhere nay sayers.
    If Mitsubishi vehicles become rebadged Nissan products is Mitsubishi really still here?

The quite popular Triton (2nd only to the Toyota Hilux) became a Nissan product in Australia. Nissan/Mitsubishi will become the Japanese version of the Hyundai/KIA Korean cars. I am not passing judgment, but it's most likely reality.

If I wanted a Frontier, I would buy the Nissan. Mitsubishi dealers in my area suck!

A truck in the Mitsubishi line up will help keep the brand here. I don't argue that!

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    If Mitsubishi vehicles become rebadged Nissan products is Mitsubishi really still here?

The quite popular Triton (2nd only to the Toyota Hilux) became a Nissan product in Australia. Nissan/Mitsubishi will become the Japanese version of the Hyundai/KIA Korean cars. I am not passing judgment, but it's most likely reality.

If I wanted a Frontier, I would buy the Nissan. Mitsubishi dealers in my area suck!

A truck in the Mitsubishi line up will help keep the brand here. I don't argue that!
    Yeah but the Mitsubishi version of the Frontier will have 2 things going for it the Nissan version doesn't: 100k mile warranty and possibly Mitsubishi's famed AWC, similar to the new Outlander set up. After watching Tommi Makken & Mitsu AWC, win all those Dakar rally races, I'd feel it's fair to say their 4 wheel drive could compete with Jeep or Subaru. Those 2 factors alone plus the point that the Frontier is arguably Nissan's most reliable vehicle ever, scores big points in my mind.

What other MFG is offering a 100k mile warranty for their truck? I don't count the Santa Cruz, that's more El Camino than pick up lol.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    I also feel since Ford can't produce the Maverick quick enough, a Mitsubishi Maverick/ Raider would be a smash hit, especially if Mitsubishi can keep around the $20k range like Ford claimed they were going to do, but didn't.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    If it's gonna be another 4 door station wagon with a little short box on the back, I'm not interested. If they make an X-tra cab with a 6 foot box & I'll sign up
    I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by klroger View Post
    If it's gonna be another 4 door station wagon with a little short box on the back, I'm not interested. If they make an X-tra cab with a 6 foot box & I'll sign up
    Ditto, the Maverick is useless to me. At least putting more or less the same amount of junk in the back of my Vue keeps the stuff dry. 'A long box $20K Maverick would have me standing in line for one. pop a cap on and what can't you do?

I recall 2.6l Mits engines were trash, oil burners, I take it that line of engines is long retired?
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    Ditto, the Maverick is useless to me. At least putting more or less the same amount of junk in the back of my Vue keeps the stuff dry. 'A long box $20K Maverick would have me standing in line for one. pop a cap on and what can't you do?

I recall 2.6l Mits engines were trash, oil burners, I take it that line of engines is long retired?
    It won't be a Mitsubishi engine but a Nissan one. Frontier has an older but proven powertrain.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    All I want is a single or extended cab compact truck. These 4 door pretend trucks are just not useful. My old Mighty Max was perfect! Later on I owned a 2001 Ford ranger and it handled poorly as well as lacking power compared to the Mighty Max, but at least it had a 6 foot bed as well.
    Now they all come with 3 foot beds and 4 doors. Umm. That isn't a truck! Heck even full size "Trucks" have 4 foot beds now. What a joke!
    If Mitsubishi wants a hit. Offer a compact 4 cylinder AWD with a 6 foot bed and an extended cab interior. It would sell!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mrfixit For This Useful Post:

klroger (02-12-2023)

I would buy that, but sadly; the Dealerships say this is not on the horizon.
    Maybe if Stelantis-Chrysler wants to bring back the Ram50...